I decided I want a distortion or overdrive pedal but I'm a little confused as to which is what and how why whoody what?

That should illustrate how much I know about this subject

It's for chords mainly but also Satriani style rock so am I right in guessing that overdrive pedal is what I want?
Distortion pedals and overdrives are essentially the same thing. However an overdrive is trying to emulate a tube amp being overdriven while a distortion is just a lot of gain. If you have a good tube amp I recommend an overdrive. If you don't have a good tube amp I recommend getting on and then getting an overdrive.
well overdrive is good for more classic rock or some metal ( like bls ) and dist is more hardkcore..but its mostly about what type of music you play...
Too tired and lazy to bother with a sig, Sorry.
Distortion basically distorts the signal by adding 'x' amount of gain to it.
Overdrive pushes the amp to distort the signal, and in my opinion, provides a much nicer tone.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
Quote by (insertnamehere
Distortion basically distorts the signal by adding 'x' amount of gain to it.
Overdrive pushes the amp to distort the signal, and in my opinion, provides a much nicer tone.

No it does not
That is a volume booster [or if you have an OD set as a clean boost]

All an OD does is emulate OD tones that a cranked amp puts out

Although the distortion thing is pretty correct, it like clones the signal and clips it to give a distortion sound
Last edited by philipisabeast at Oct 17, 2007,