And I have been teaching myself for about a year to year and a half. Now I can smoothly get from chord to chord (simple A, Bm, Dm, Am, Em, E, C, F, etc.) but I don't have rhythm. I also started scales but I have no clue what I am actually doing. Like I can play a few box scales but thats it. I don't know what keys **** is in, I don t know what chords go together, nothing. So my practice routine is usually just a jumble of nothing. Pretty much just screwing around learning the opening riffs to some songs through tab. I'm getting sick of practicing so much and not knowing what else to do. It also pains me to see kids that I know for a fact barely play guitar and see them keep rhythm and play some chord strings they made up.
one of the best investments you can make is a metronome...trust me. your rhythm will be much better if you practice with one for a while... happy playing!
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.

Member #12 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
try learning a chordal song and playing along to the song e.g. wonderwall or something even easier. soon you will get the hang of the rhythm
I still use youTube as a major source of watching somebody play so I can get pointers. The free lessons are good too. And as a previous poster said, use the lessons on here as well .

Chris
Last edited by RCShadow at Oct 17, 2007,
Check out rockongoodpeople (youtube user). Awesome video lessons IMO.

Practice basic strum rythems. Like "One-uh-two-uh-three-uh-four". Slow at first, just maintaining a steady rythem, then speed it up. Once you're comfortable with that, add in some muted strums or chucks (when you bang your strum hand againt the strings and you get that "chuck" sound). Make sure to incorporate up and down motions. A metronome would be a great idea, but also make sure to tap your foot as you do it too. When you play at a gig or a friends house or whatever, you wont have a metronome handy, so make sure you're teaching yourself to keep rythem, not just play to it. That's what worked for me anyway.

Hope that helps
where can I get guitar pro?
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Metronomes are absolutely great for developing rhythm.

UG has some good lessons, so does YouTube.

Like bigall said before, find some songs with easily audible and simple chord progressions, and run through them, paying particular attention to the strumming patterns.

Few songs I started off with are:
Wonderwall (Oasis)
Save Tonight (Eagle Eye Cherry)
Atlantic City (Bruce Springsteen)
Taneytown (Steve Earle)
Holy Grail (Hunters and Collectors)

Basically, just simple chord progressions in those songs, that'll develop your rhythm and chord knowledge at the same time.
Go to the musical theory sticky in Musician Talk. See, scales are pretty much the baseline for music: chords and soloing are good examples. Solos are written over scales and chords utilize a certain combination of notes in a scale (basic triads, for example, use the 1st, 3rd, and 5th degrees of a major scale). Just start learning the notes on the fretboard, learn major scales and modes, and then proceed to chord formation. It's all inthe sticky. There's also a very useful link that explains what key a chord orr chord progression is in. It talks about harmonies, soloing, improvising, etc.

Once you start to get the hang of it, you will see that many songs are written using scales. A lot of solos are written over scales in the same key as the song. A very basic and easy example is the solo lick in Somewhere Down on Fullerton, from Allister. It's pretty much written right over E major scale (or D or whatever, I can't remember right now) on one octave.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Don't worry about not having a teacher, it's not essential...ultimately every guitarist who ever learned to play is self-taught. Yes, a good teacher can point you in the right direction, and help you focus your learning so it's more efficient, but they can't learn to play for you, that's something you have do do yourself. And I'd be amazed if you could find me a player that only plays at lesson time, they're maybe at most an hour a week? Most people play/practice a lot more than that.

Likewise there's not really such a thing as the "self-taught" guitarist, we all had something to teach us, whether it was books, or magazines or now the internet. It's pretty easy to learn on your own, the only problem used to be access to resources which has kind of been addressed nowadays. Just make sure you learn steadily, don't feel that you have to learn everything at once and don't let yourself be overwhelmed by the wealth of information that's available to you. You've got the rest of your life to learn to play the thing, it's not going to happen overnight and you shouldn't be concerned if it doesn't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Don't worry about not having a teacher, it's not essential...ultimately every guitarist who ever learned to play is self-taught. Yes, a good teacher can point you in the right direction, and help you focus your learning so it's more efficient, but they can't learn to play for you, that's something you have do do yourself. And I'd be amazed if you could find me a player that only plays at lesson time, they're maybe at most an hour a week? Most people play/practice a lot more than that.

Likewise there's not really such a thing as the "self-taught" guitarist, we all had something to teach us, whether it was books, or magazines or now the internet. It's pretty easy to learn on your own, the only problem used to be access to resources which has kind of been addressed nowadays. Just make sure you learn steadily, don't feel that you have to learn everything at once and don't let yourself be overwhelmed by the wealth of information that's available to you. You've got the rest of your life to learn to play the thing, it's not going to happen overnight and you shouldn't be concerned if it doesn't.

very well said
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."