Page 1 of 2
Hello all

I've read (on instructables.com) that if you take a lightly scratched CD (the kind of scratches you get as it's worn with age), smear it with tooth paste, leave it on for 5 minutes and rinse, it'll be restored to an almost new condition, and won't skip.

Has anyone done this?

I know it won't really harm the disc if I try it, but I don't really wanna risk it.
Quote by nick dixon
thats total bull****

A lot of sources on Teh Internetz would say the opposite.
I don't wanna sound naive or anything, but if a lot of people say it works, then it actually might.
Quote by sashki
I don't wanna sound naive or anything, but if a lot of people say it works, then it actually might.

A lot of people thought putting Jews in an oven was a good idea...they were wrong too.
Quote by denizenz
A lot of people thought putting Jews in an oven was a good idea...they were wrong too.

my mom tried something like that...
but it was with eggs and a microwave, didnt work as planned either
i personally wouldn't try it
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
try it with a cd u dont like to much (one u dont care if it gets ruined) and if it works then sweet and if it doesnt then o well
Quote by denizenz

Were you one of them?

I asked about cleaning a forking CD, and you had to bring nazis into the argument.
Just make sure it doesn't have little rough bits in it (you know what kind of toothpaste I mean). I dunno if it really helps, didn't work on my ps2 games.
Quote by sashki

I'm being negative. I should imagine it would work as most toothpastes are a very mild abrasive, as are polishes. No reason it shouldnt work, but I think a bit of meths and a smooth cloth work fine
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Try it on a free CD from a magazine or something
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Quote by sashki
Were you one of them?

I asked about cleaning a forking CD, and you had to bring nazis into the argument.

Heh, it's a simple illustration showing that just because a lot of people believe something doesn't make it true. It's a little something called a logical fallacy.
Quote by HeliuM
Just make sure it doesn't have little rough bits in it (you know what kind of toothpaste I mean). I dunno if it really helps, didn't work on my ps2 games.

Yeah, those little balls of whatever.

Did it any effect? Not even a negative one? I'll try it on some gay disc I have from a long time ago, but I'd like to see some more opinions too.
I tried it and it worked....guess it depends on the condition of the disc though and possibly the toothpaste you use? no idea, but it worked when I tried it
Quote by denizenz
Heh, it's a simple illustration showing that just because a lot of people believe something doesn't make it true. It's a little something called a logical fallacy.

I realise the error in my comment, and I was expecting the sort of response you gave.

The thing is, a lot of people TRIED it and it gave POSITIVE RESULTS! They restored their CD's without harming any jews in the process.

So that might be worth considering.

It's like when you're sick, you go to the doctor. Why the doctor and not, say, the mechanic? Because everyone you know goes to a doctor when they're sick, and they come back feeling better, so it's worth trying.
actually ive tried this, and it does work i've done it with loads of cd, but make sure its some ****ty toothpaste just really plain, not with like cooling crystals or whatever it is they put in em today.

oh and dont leave it on, rub it over the scratches with a piece of cloth for like 5 minutes putting some pressure
The problem is the internet is open to everyone, and people can easily lie there, while doctors can't easily tell you taking 20 sleeping pills a day is fine without getting sued, fired and losing his/her diploma.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by sashki
This one seems plausible, though.

As said earlier, toothpaste is a mild abrassive, so that should do the job.

Get one of your mom's Patsy Cline cd's and try it out on that first...alls I'm saying is don't trust what you read on the internet. Do some of your own research...
ive tried, it doesnt work
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
Quote by denizenz
Get one of your mom's Patsy Cline cd's and try it out on that first...alls I'm saying is don't trust what you read on the internet. Do some of your own research...

Should I believe you?
A friend of mine told me this and i thought it was bull****. Then i saw him do it on a Guitar Hero 2 disc that was pretty ****ed up and now it almost works perfectly.
Quote by Bbfat24
A friend of mine told me this and i thought it was bull****. Then i saw him do it on a Guitar Hero 2 disc that was pretty ****ed up and now it almost works perfectly.

Umm, DVD's and CD's employ entirely different technology.
It won't hurt the CD at all. It acts as a filler and a polisher. Make sure to use a special cloth (forget what they call it though) and wipe outwards. I've tried several times with amazing results.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
Quote by sashki
Umm, they still develop scratches in the protective layer

No shit, but CD's are read by a laser sensing dips and plateaus in the material, and the bits stored on DVD's are pixels of light. If you run a light abrasive on a DVD it will likely ruin it where it would possibly help a CD.
Quote by denizenz
No shit, but CD's are read by a laser sensing dips and plateaus in the material, and the bits stored on DVD's are pixels of light. If you run a light abrasive on a DVD it will likely ruin it where it would possibly help a CD.

But it helped the DVD.
I once tried it and it just made it worse.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

One important thing: It only works on lightly scratched cd:s. Also you should use whitening toothpaste since it has a light polisher in it.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
washing up liquid FTW

but toothpaste cleans anything it gets rid of spots as well.
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
Quote by sashki
5 UGers say it works.
6 say it doesn't. 3 of which have actually tried it.

OMG who 2 trust LOL

Didn't I tell you to do your own research with which to form your own opinion...maybe if you turn on MTV, they'll run a CD cleaning special for you.
Quote by denizenz
Didn't I tell you to do your own research with which to form your own opinion...maybe if you turn on MTV, they'll run a CD cleaning special for you.

"So please, MTV, Clean Mah Disc™!"
"Yo, I'm C to tha H Chamillionaire, and I'm about to Clean Yo Disc™!"
"OMG! IT'S LIEK TEH KAMILLIONAYRE LOLZ!!! HE'S GONNA CLEAN MAH DISC™! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG"
"Woah, calm down, lady"

Mad Mike:
"Yo, we're gonna install four 15 inch monitors IN YOUR FACE!"
"Dang, that's tite!"

It'll be great.
I tried it and it worked, my dad told me about I think and he's a well learned scientist so you should be able to trust him
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Page 1 of 2