Ok, I need some help with being able to play easily in time sigs like 7/8, 5/4 etc, and this is before I move onto the even weirder ones (13.6/9 ).

Im ok with basic one note per beat stuff, but when I try to make a riff in one of those time signatures, thats where I fall apart.

I can't use syncopation at all and all my odd time signature riffs end up being boring due to one note per click type stuff, which is the opposite reason why I learnt 7/8 etc.

I just lose my place, even when I count aloud (or in my head), and with a metronome of course.

Any exercises I could work on?
It's hard to grasp it, but I'd just reccomend playing through songs in these kind of time signatures to get the feel for it. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is "Money" by Pink Floyd, which is in 7/8 time i believe (though I can't be sure).
Quote by Godbe
It's hard to grasp it, but I'd just reccomend playing through songs in these kind of time signatures to get the feel for it. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is "Money" by Pink Floyd, which is in 7/8 time i believe (though I can't be sure).

Yep, Money is in 7/8. I've been playing around lots with time signatures recently and I find it useful to count in groupings of 2's 3's and 4's, so depending on the feel i wanted for 7/8 I might count it as 123, 1234 just like in Money.
The easiest way i've found to write songs in odd time signatures is to write a riff in 4/4 and then either add or remove some notes...

For example if you write a riff using 8th notes in 4/4, leave out the 8th note and you instantly have 7/8...

Don't know if this helped, but it worked for me when I first started
Quote by duggyrocks
Ok, I need some help with being able to play easily in time sigs like 7/8, 5/4 etc, and this is before I move onto the even weirder ones (13.6/9 ).

Im ok with basic one note per beat stuff, but when I try to make a riff in one of those time signatures, thats where I fall apart.

I can't use syncopation at all and all my odd time signature riffs end up being boring due to one note per click type stuff, which is the opposite reason why I learnt 7/8 etc.

I just lose my place, even when I count aloud (or in my head), and with a metronome of course.

Any exercises I could work on?

Well, first of all, there is no such thing as 13.6/9... Not only is 9 an illegal denominator, it's also not possible to have 13.6 beats per measure.

Anyways, to answer your question; it really helps to divide the meter in to the simple time that it's composed of. 5/x is actually 3/x + 2/x. 11/x is 3/x + 3/x + 3/x + 2/x. You get the idea. If you count like this it will come easier.

So if you're trying to play something in 7/8, you would count 1-2-3-1-2-1-2. Or 1-2-1-2-1-2-3, depending on the phrasing of the piece.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Count 7/8 as it has been suggested. I count 5/4 as 1-2-1-2-3 or 1-2-3-1-2, depending on the song. If the time signature is divided into 16ths, like 11/16, I use a counting system that I believe comes from indian music:
Ta = one 16th
Taka = two 16ths
Takita= three 16ths
Takadimi = four 16ths
Takidinathom = five 16ths
Put them together so they add upp to the time signature
11/16 = takadimi takadimi takita
15/16 = takadimi takadimi takadimi takita
etc

Any words with the right number of syllables will do, though.
Well first: metronome.

Then you try other advices.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.