Hey,

dont know if this is the right place to post, but here goes.

ive just been doing some designs for some custom guitars (something i really want to do!), this is the first one ive came up with, the pick ups and all the rest of the gear isnt really that important on the design since i would seek further info about all that stuff, the design and shape of the body/ neck is what im wokring out at the minute and also im looking for information on how to custom build guitars, from raw materials to finish.

anyways this is just an idea at the moment, any crits or comments on design and information about were to start would be welcomed

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1603352970&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1602466493&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1602469025&size=l

thanks

P.s. sorry for the large image files, Jpegs are way to lossy!
Last edited by Daniel8488 at Oct 17, 2007,
Thats ****in narly man!
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
you need to either use a heavy wood in the body or expand it's size, or it's not going to balance well.

i wouldn't buy one, but i like it. nice work dude.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
I like it. I would flip it around tho, so u have a cutaway. Id do it neck-thru, b/c it doesnt really require much work on that design. And it makes a better guitar. Id think that ur scaling is off, 3 pickups shouldnt fit that way. And the bridge should be a bit farther up most likely.
Well, whatever suits you... It'll be neck-heavy, and it seems the scale is a bit off...

Apart from that, well... good job.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
hey guys thanks for the comments/ feedback

Doug: thanks, i think i would use a heavier would when making it. though im not sure how it would feel when playing since it is a little small hmm. im looking at my guitar here and body is close to same lenght as the neck and its pretty large in comparison, something ill look into i think
It looks nice but I'm not digging the Salmon Pink design, haha.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
that looks god-awful
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Hey,

binjajer, qotsa1998: thanks for the comments guys, working on the scale now, and also adding a sort of grip to the bottom so when playing the harder to reach notes your hand fits comfortably over the frets.

Kingyem0c0re: changing it to jet black

danielrobbyshor: uhm cheers! lol
1 - UGLY design
2 - awful fret access
3 - knob placement would be highly uncomfortable/annoying
4 - scale length is incorrect!

#4 alone means you have to start your design over again. go back to the drawing board man. sorry.
Shamray Custom V
Jackson USA KV2 Korina
Charvel Model 1
Dean Custom-450
ENGL Powerball head
ENGL Blackmore head
Last edited by the mailman at Oct 17, 2007,
Mailman: hey, thanks for the honest feedback.

is there any specific you find ugly about it?

ive just rework a little version were i think it will have better fret access, i can easily rework the scale. i guess your right, but it would just seem naturaul to me to have them there, not sure why.
1 - Ugly because it isn't really a shape. It's just a blob with a guitar neck. Ergonomically it's not going to be comfortable to play and as a stand-up I'm worried that it would be neck heavy and not balance well.

2 - Regarding scale length, use this calculator:
http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator/

Your bridge is going to be much closer to the fret board heel so I wouldn't call it an "easy" rework, the guitar will look very different once you readjust the bridge and pickup placement.

Best of luck.
Shamray Custom V
Jackson USA KV2 Korina
Charvel Model 1
Dean Custom-450
ENGL Powerball head
ENGL Blackmore head
Hmm suppose your right, thanks for that measurement tool, its pretty good

ive moved the bridge in, shortend the guitar slightly, adjusted the neck, move the pickups, tweaked the bodys shape, so its not just a blob (well i hope it looks better), ive moved the knobs, was going to add some swithes (ill need one for the pickups!), but if/ when i build this i dont want to make it more complex than what it already is.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1603497407&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1604390754&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1604392784&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1603499735&size=l

edit: i also want it to be quite small, i.e. make enough room for it to be held and for all the equipment to fit inside...
Last edited by Daniel8488 at Oct 17, 2007,
You might want to keep the strings as close to straight as you can on that headstock. Adding unnecessary kinks will reduce tuning stability.

Also the little bumps along the bottom edge of the fretboard will hamper upper fret access.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
That second design looks a hell of a lot more promising than the first. I like it!
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I like it, be a right b**ch to play but its a cool design.

can i just ask what program you used for that?
thanks for the feedback, ill alter the design so the strings arent bent, i could take the bump/ grip off, i really like it though, maybe i could rework it so its less pronounced, if its still looks awkard i can remove it.

Highbinder: thanks, glad you like it

TomR: haha yea probz, but ill get use to it

i used blender to make the designs www.blender3d.org
replace the bump grip with an arc so that it flows with the upper horn

i'd work on making it laterally taller, looks too much like a fish
Shamray Custom V
Jackson USA KV2 Korina
Charvel Model 1
Dean Custom-450
ENGL Powerball head
ENGL Blackmore head
I kinda like the new design. Not something I'd use myself, but nice anyway.
You should remove the "grip" at the high frets though, it's only gonna get in the way.
I like the idea of a grip at the higher frets, but not in this case. I like Mailman's idea of a bottom horn though, it would make it much better looking in my opinion.

The 2cd looks much better than the first though, now do a third.
actually, i suggested an arc (aka. a cutaway) to match the curvature of the top
Shamray Custom V
Jackson USA KV2 Korina
Charvel Model 1
Dean Custom-450
ENGL Powerball head
ENGL Blackmore head
try making it dip down on the bottom a bit so I'll be more comfortable to play sitting down. That'll give you more knob space and reduce neck dive.
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
thanks for the feedback,

since the last guitar had a lot of issues ive decided to go with something a bit more basic, kind of based on a typical guitar...

here is the new design, i know the size doesnt look correct but as far as im aware it is, it just looks out of scale when rendered in perspective.

the body/ neck is all one piece, ive also changed the pickups.

any comments on this design would be welcome
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1606616135&size=l

i have a few questions about building the body, ive seen some solid blocks of wood espeically for making guitar bodies buts its close to £60, would a block of wood from anywhere (aslong as its decent quality) work, such as using plywood or pine?
also is there a specific tool to use to round off edges and maintain that depth all the way around?

thanks
1 - Plywood? Might as well use particleboard or pieces of a cardboard box

2 - No, don't attempt to make a single piece guitar
Shamray Custom V
Jackson USA KV2 Korina
Charvel Model 1
Dean Custom-450
ENGL Powerball head
ENGL Blackmore head
i liked the last design better, honestly. i thought it was futuristic and more awesome.

this one you could get away with using alder or ash for the body, maybe even basswood if you like it, but the smaller one, you'd want to use something like mahogany.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
i thought plywood would be suitable as most of the sound would be coming from the pickups, also its cheap and if i made mistakes i wouldnt be to fussed, were as using other woods for say £60+ i wouldnt be very happy.

i like the other design to, but the more i looked at it the more i was thinking its going to be very hard for my first custom, espeicaly since it would be an awkard shape to plane... i think, i would still like to make it one day, maybe after this guitar.

i wont make a single piece guitar, since im assuming i would have to make a fretboard, which i dont want to do. i was thinking of just buying a neck or using the one of my current guitar and bolting it on.

also i was thinking since it wont have any scratch plate, would it work if i routed out the back, place all the cables and electronics in the pack and but a metal plate over the back (like a large sqaure), i was also thinking of routing out spaces for the top parts of the pickups and place the top part through the hole and place the screws at the side so it would all fit snug and there wouldnt be any gaps. hope you's get what i mean.

cheers
1)IMO its an ugly design, but with a high glossy finish it would look really cool
2)Do not use blender. It is not a good CAD tool. 3d rendering are cool and all that, but you need something that can do exact measurements like a CAD program or an image manip program.
3)It will not balance well.
4)Those speedtress will kill your tuning stability
5)Your curves are non-existant or way off
6)Unless I'm reading the scale wrong, your guitar is too thin.
7)If you buy a neck, your guitar will fall apart. The cutaways ae too deep to support a bolt on and possibly even a set neck.

Trust me, use a cad program, or at the least use bezier curves in blender first to layout the design in a top view. This guitar will not be practical.

Also think each part of the guitar out completely.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Oct 18, 2007,
i thought plywood would be suitable as most of the sound would be coming from the pickups, also its cheap and if i made mistakes i wouldnt be to fussed, were as using other woods for say £60+ i wouldnt be very happy.

Plywood is not good for tone. A lot of the guitars sound comes from the wood and the pickups shape the sound.

i wont make a single piece guitar, since im assuming i would have to make a fretboard, which i dont want to do. i was thinking of just buying a neck or using the one of my current guitar and bolting it on.

Like I said in my comment, a bolt on will not work. You need atleast till the 20-19th fret for decent support on a 25.5in scale. Less than that and the neck will wobble

also i was thinking since it wont have any scratch plate, would it work if i routed out the back, place all the cables and electronics in the pack and but a metal plate over the back (like a large sqaure), i was also thinking of routing out spaces for the top parts of the pickups and place the top part through the hole and place the screws at the side so it would all fit snug and there wouldnt be any gaps. hope you's get what i mean.

cheers

Yes, lots of guitars do that. IMO, go over a few guitar designs and see what works and what doesnt. As it stands, your design wont work out too well.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
That last design looks like a Super Strat and an SG made sweet-sweet-love
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned