I really like jazz piano, and was wondering if anyone knew of any really good ones to listen to? I want to start listening more to them, but don't know of good ones in particular .
someone should make a thread called jazz penis then on the inside put i ment pianist
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
Here's a huge mega list of jazz pianists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_pianists

My faves: Count Basie, Chick Corea, Duke Ellington, Bill Evans, Gil Evans, Red Garland, George Gershwin (specifically composition), Herbie Hancock, Wynton Kelly, Brad Mehldau, Charles Mingus, Thelonius Monk, Oscar Peterson, Michel Petrucciani, Jason Rebello, Hoorace Silver, Nina Simone, Art Tatum, Fats Waller, Josef Zawinul.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Kieth Jarret can be strange at times (certainly in personality idf not in playing) but there's some truly brilliant stuff to be heard from him - pick up The Koln Concert if nothing else

Oscar Peterson Trio (the one with Ed Thigpen and Ray Brown) does some of my personal favourite stuff; his collaborations with brilliant guitarists Barney Kessel, Herb Ellis and Joe Pass are worth picking up as is anything you can find with him and Ella.

Sunday at the Village Vanguard (Bill Evans) is a classic album that everybody should own; his albums Undercurrent and Intermodulation feature Jim Hall and are good for some repeated deep listening.

If you're looking for some real interesting sounds, look up Cecil Taylor. Approach it with an open mind.
I've always thought Bill Evans a nice place to start for some mellow jazz piano, the Vilage Vanguard album is fantastic, as Nick_ mentioned.

If you are intersed in some more intellectually challenging (but untimately rewarding) artists check out Mccoy Tyner's work both solo and with John Coltrane. Furthermore, Cecil Taylor's Jazz Advanced is an interesting record for some original work that refrains from the overbearin bombast often found in later Free Jazz records.
Quote by acdc_rocks_1992
someone should make a thread called jazz penis then on the inside put i ment pianist

fail
i think about my life,
and the midnight highway...
the life of a renegade
king

Member #7 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club! PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join
There's tons of awesome jazz pianists. I can't name em all, so here are a few favorites:

First and foremost, Michel Petrucciani and Esbjörn Svensson.

Eldar Djangirov, Ewout Pierreux, Oscar Peterson, Joey Calderazzo, David Kikoski, Hiromi Uehara, Chick Corea (pre-scientology ), Joe Sample, Art Tatum, Mccoy Tyner, Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, Bojan Zulfikarpašić, Brad Mehldau, Bobo Stenson, Cecil Taylor, Hermann Szobel, Frank Kimbrough, Lyle Mays, Cesar Mariano, Christian Jacob...

I'm sure I forgot a whole lot, but yeah.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Monty alexander

There's a thread and everything...
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Resiliance
There's tons of awesome jazz pianists. I can't name em all, so here are a few favorites:

First and foremost, Michel Petrucciani and Esbjörn Svensson.

Eldar Djangirov, Ewout Pierreux, Oscar Peterson, Joey Calderazzo, David Kikoski, Hiromi Uehara, Chick Corea (pre-scientology ), Joe Sample, Art Tatum, Mccoy Tyner, Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, Bojan Zulfikarpašić, Brad Mehldau, Bobo Stenson, Cecil Taylor, Hermann Szobel, Frank Kimbrough, Lyle Mays, Cesar Mariano, Christian Jacob...

I'm sure I forgot a whole lot, but yeah.

Eldar! lol, I saw him live he put on a good show, he's so young

I saw Ramsey Lewis last week he put on a really good show (can't say the same for Ahmad Jamal, who I fell asleep during the set of)

And who said Charles Mingus? I love Mingus but I remember him a lot more for his bass than for his occasional piano (and for his composing, oh yeah he's friggin dirty).
-Mike
Jan Johansson He was awesome.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5