some one at my school said he pulled out the frets on his bass and filled in the gaps and all this stuff and made it fretless, any 1 here know how to do anything like that cleanly? or reccomend it at all?
A short while ago, there was a small frenzy of people defretting their old basses. I defretted mine long beforehand though

If you have an old bass that you can afford to screw up, I'd definitely recommend defretting as a project.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Does it actually give a sound akin to a real fretless?

And a question, I have a short-scale crappy bass that I was wondering about defretting, but would it be in my best interests to buy a new, crappy but full-length neck first?
my bass is shortscale too, but its like new idk if i wanna mess it up, lol
one of my friends did this and his turned out great. i don't even play bass but that was fun to play.
Quote by chocolateman900
Does it actually give a sound akin to a real fretless?

And a question, I have a short-scale crappy bass that I was wondering about defretting, but would it be in my best interests to buy a new, crappy but full-length neck first?

Why wouldn't it? The bass has no frets, and is therefore a "fretless" bass. Yes, it sounds like it has no frets.

Shortscale shouldn't make a huge difference. If anything, it will be easier to play than a full length fretless because of the shorter distance between frets. Your intonation will have to be dead-on though.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Confused4930
A short while ago, there was a small frenzy of people defretting their old basses. I defretted mine long beforehand though

If you have an old bass that you can afford to screw up, I'd definitely recommend defretting as a project.

I did my first defretting back in 95 when most of you were all in diapers. Just take your time and fill in the neck