I was planning on buying a 5 or so watt tube amp for playing around with at home.

Looks like my options are

Epiphone Valve Junior or Crate Palomino V8

I tried to try them yesterday but guitar center only had the v16 Palomino so I tried that one out and it sounded pretty ****ty, but I think it might have been damaged. Even at very very low volumes it had some distortion and the distortion knob made a loud crunch noise every time I adjusted it(sounded like a dirty knob).

I was Blown Away by the VJ(Halfstack), It sounded pretty darn good. But it has no overdrive control, no eq at all and it costs $50 more than a palomino. So then I was thinking maybe Ill just get the VJ and buy a Ibanez TS9 and some eq pedal, but all that together would be $450-ish and at that point I could probably just get a little better amp.

So either:
Palomino(on the good word that the one I tried was messed up)
and Ibanez TS9
for $300

or
Valve Junior
Ts9
Eq
for $450

Or another option.

Ive tried the fender 600(or whichever the low end tube one was) and I didnt really dig it.

My Current Gear is:
Jackson DXMG
Yamaha Pac112
Roland Cube 60
Metal Muff
Zoom g2.1u Multi-FX Pedal

I want this amp for getting into classic rock and blues-ish stuff and plan on using my Cube for Metal and Heavy Rock. I would like nice smooth classic rock overdrive with this new set-up.
The Crate is awesome. Ive played a V6, one that wasnt damaged, and it was very classic rock. I liked it, and id say its better than a VJ. It has a tone knob and a volume knob, so u can get OD at lower volumes, as opposed to a VJ, which only really has a volume knob. Andf at $400, u could get a Fender Pro Jr. So id go with the Crate.
for 450, you might as well go for a fender blues jr, 15 watts all tube with gain, eq and spring rreverb. light weight and 12" speaker...
then add on the ts9 if need be, the amp is very versatile and you can get srv tone without a tubescreamer, but Id add it on to thicken things up and keep volume down.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
I tried out the blues junior and it didnt really seem to give me a lot of overdrive, although I didnt really get to play with it much because there was some keyboard demo starting at the store. The other thing I thought about the VJ + eq is that I could also use the eq on my Cube and any other amp I ever buy. The Palomino has good cleans though right? Like I said the one I played with was distorted at even the lowest volumes and with the guitars volume knob turned down. Are there any other good options out there? I dont really know much about tube amps so maybe I just need to spend more time playing with a tube amp to get used to getting the OD and tones I want.
I silll like the blues jr, but it really depends on what you play as to what amount of gain you need. If you play anything requiring much gain, you'll have to turn it up, and its loud...
try letting it heat up, play for 15 minutes to really get good sound. otherwise rty the VJ, its pretty damn good. I don't recommend the fender champ, pro junior, or the crate, they just weren't responsive to me. the only amps I really liked were the good fenders, BJ, VJ, and the vox valvetronix, despite the lack of all tube design.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
After trying them all out again(besides the palomino) Ive decided to go with the Epiphone Valve Junior halfstack.

Does it come with a speaker cable? I would think it would but I dont want to get it in the mail and have to run out and buy one.
if you're going with the VJ, you won't be getting that much gain at low volumes, mind you. it's overdrive is very nice, but it has to be pretty damn loud. i like mine around 2-3o'clock.

the palomino is voiced a lot different, but i love that amp as well. personally, i would go with the palomino if you want decent overdrive at lower volumes.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Im buying a Ibanez ts9 with it. I should be able to get good drive at lower volumes from my understanding, but Im pretty new to tube amps and overdrive pedals.
oh, i see. you should be fine then. the valve junior is a good introduction if you're new to tube amps.

since it only has 1 knob, more volume = more tube saturation = more overdrive/gain.
you can roll off the volume on your guitar for less gain at a bit higher volumes.
it's easy to boost the amp into more saturation with higher output on the overdrive pedal, be careful though, that's how mine broke when i was a bit too careless.
oh, and 5 tube watts is hella loud.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Yeah I have picked up little bits and pieces about tube amps. So I was playing with the VJ and the volume on the amp and guitar to get different OD sounds. Its pretty amazing the different sounds you can get from such a simple amp. I just decided to get the TS9 in addition to it so I have a little more control over the gain and so I can play it at lower volumes. I plan on getting an EQ pedal eventually too because Ill use that for the VJ and my Cube(even every amp I ever buy in the future an eq pedal would be nice to have)

5 watts is the reason I decided on this amp because I really dont need any more than that. I played a blues jr and it was far too much amp for what I need.
man for 450 i'd look at peavey valveking, or classic 30 (either new or used)

Guitars:
1998 Gibson SG-X Carribean Blue
Dean Avalanche
Amps:
Marshall JCM900 SL-X Head w/ Orange 212 Cab
JMF 120T Vintage
Fender 212DSP
Pedals:
Fulltone OCD, TC Electronics Flashback Delay, MXR Classic Overdrive, TC Electronics Polytune
Quote by UnsignedRecords
if you're going with the VJ, you won't be getting that much gain at low volumes, mind you. it's overdrive is very nice, but it has to be pretty damn loud. i like mine around 2-3o'clock.

Unless you're comfortable modding it just a tiny bit. Mine, with R7 (a resistor on the circut board) cut out and R6 wired to a simple 2 way toggle) will start to sizzle at 9-10 o'clock, and grind by noon. Add a Bad Monkey (best budget OD ever, I say) and you're rocking blues, classic rock, and garage tones at practice (or so) volumes.

If you do go for the VJ head, I'd look for a differnt speaker cab. I wasn't crazy about the matching Epi 1x12", but I could be crazy.