Poll: Which backing track?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which backing track?
"Machine Gun". Just Bass & Drums. Em Pentatonic fun
22 34%
Am Dorian Progression. Rock. A bit of E7 at the end for Harmonic minor fun
10 16%
Grateful Deadish 2 chord vamp. An easy G mixlodyian jam.
9 14%
12 Bar Blues. Rockish sort of feel.
14 22%
B Phrygian progression. Rock.
9 14%
Voters: 64.
Page 1 of 3
First we need to pick a new backing track.

Quote by edg
Hey all, I've uploaded an mp3 to my profile called "MT Backing Track Sampler".

It's got 5 samples of basically 1x thru a progression:

1) "Machine Gun". Just Bass & Drums. Em Pentatonic fun.
2) Am Dorian Progression. Rock. A bit of E7 at the end for Harmonic minor fun.
3) Grateful Deadish 2 chord vamp. One of my favorites. An easy G mixlodyian jam.
4) 12 Bar Blues. Rockish sort of feel.
5) B Phrygian progression. Rock.

No jazz this time. Kind of rough cuts right now...

Profile link here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/member.php?u=195422

The backing track will be the Machine Gun backing track found on the ug jams dmusic site, link found below.

Da rulez:

In brief, if you want to take part you download the backing track, record your solo, then send your solo to the organiser. They will then compile all the solos to play in turn over the looped backing track, the result being a huge track showcasing many members take on the same track, known as a jam

If you'd like to take part, simply post in this thread so you can be added to the list of participants, then follow the steps below.

1) Download the backing track from http://ug-jams.dmusic.com/

2) Record your solo over the track.

3) Email an mp3 file containing your solo mixed down with the backing track to ug-jams@hotmail.co.uk. Please include your username in the email so you can be given credit, or if you're shy say that you'd prefer not to be named on the list of participants.

4) Wait until the finished track is posted at http://ug-jams.dmusic.com/, then listen and enjoy

The deadline will be 28th October unless we have no jams, but I doubt that.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Last edited by sinan90 at Oct 20, 2007,
What would be the most basic way of recording? My freind has a Zoom effects pedal that he claims can record.
I hope this isn't too off-topic, it's just that I'd really like to be a part of this...
EDIT I voted Machine Gun!
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Last edited by Caressing Death at Oct 17, 2007,
Quote by Caressing Death
What would be the most basic way of recording? My freind has a Zoom effects pedal that he claims can record.
I hope this isn't too off-topic, it's just that I'd really like to be a part of this...

i record using a zoom pocket recorder, its not really a pedal, although it has effects built in.

anything that can record you playing the guitar and can play it back though a lead, SHOULD be able to be recorded onto a computer. plenty of advice in the recordings section, but if you think your friend has the same one, then pm me.
Quote by Caressing Death

I used to record:
bass -> pedal -> line in on pc -> audacity.
The sound quality isn't great but you can make decent recordings using that set up.
Founder of Jaco society

Thanks guys for the help, I think I might get involved with the jams from now on. Oh, and I would like to use an amp aswell... Any way that's possible without a mic?
EDIT Actually there's no need to answer that question. I'll research it myself!
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Line out from amp into PC possibly.
Founder of Jaco society

please dont do the Am progression...it sounds kinda...bad. I liked the grateful dead vamp thing. that sound cool
I chose "Machine Gun" because i'm just a beginner on the improv stuff.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I'll do it. Machine gun. When do the recordings have to be in by?

edit: nvm. guess I missed it in the post.
Last edited by Spamwise at Oct 17, 2007,
I like the grateful dead chord vamp, I may even record for it, although it won't be with my electric because, unfortunately, as I took it out to play for the first time in months, it's b-string broke and now I'm stuck with just the acoustic for awhile. It's a real shame because my amp is in desperate need of some use.
ive been waiting for another one to come so i can participate!!

PS B phrygian
Phrygian rock!

I don't know whether to play guitar or bass though...I've never soloed on a bass before lol. Ehh...maybe next time.
Machine Gun and 12 Bar Blues are running a close race. This should be interesting to see, considering so many more people are planning on jamming.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
I hope they go with 12 bar blues. I want to see if all the metal heads on the site can really rock.
4 strings good, 6 strings bad.
^^ I concur.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
picked the mixlodyian jam
Member #8 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I'd like to have Am, thank you. =P Oh and could we extend the timing to 2.5/3 weeks till submission?
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Quote by BassTalk
I'd like to have Am, thank you. =P Oh and could we extend the timing to 2.5/3 weeks till submission?

Just join the next one if you can't record this next week.

EDIT: Seeing how close the poll is I think it'd be sensible to just use the others with a high proportion of votes for later jams.
Founder of Jaco society

Last edited by sinan90 at Oct 18, 2007,
Quote by CloserToTheSun
What does vamp mean?

Would do it but have nothing to connect guitar to my PC

I don't have anything to connect my guitar to my PC either. And I'm using a 10W amp.
If it comes out too rough sounding then it can be left out and I won't take offence. Im going to have a go anyway though. It'll be fun. You should too.
Quote by Discouraged
I don't have anything to connect my guitar to my PC either. And I'm using a 10W amp.
If it comes out too rough sounding then it can be left out and I won't take offence. Im going to have a go anyway though. It'll be fun. You should too.

You can use the headphone out to connect it through the PC line in. Or you can connect your guitar directly through the PC, use some VST effect like the simulanalog suite (this one is free) and record it with Audacity (also free).
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
I'd love to join in , only... I'd be the lowest point on the whole thing . I don't know how to follow chords, cause I don't know my scales like I should... practicing, but damn :| .

BTW, what is "Machine Gun"?

(emo noob anyone :P )
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Oct 18, 2007,
This looks like some serious ownage. Well, I wanna get in on this when it starts. I figure I could do some sort of funk-jazz with some shred over it, something very very odd. Maybe some polyrhythms to screw with people if I'm feeling evil. Going to have to go to the music store and find something to hook my guitar directly to my soundcard though. Is there a mono 1/4 in jack to 1/8 inch? Thats what I would need to go from guitar cable to computer-sound cable right?
Quote by Windwaker

Is there a mono 1/4 in jack to 1/8 inch?
Thats what I would need to go from guitar cable to computer-sound cable right?

Yes and yes.

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
Is there a mono 1/4 in jack to 1/8 inch?

I hate to say it...Radio Shack...or local electronics supplier.

I use a mic into aTascam Portastudio 414 deck, bypassing the tape. works for vocals, acoustic or amp. Audacity to record. That takes a patch cord with two RCA jacks and one 1/8" stereo one. Most cassette recorders should work too, for just one guitar, pause the tape deck and use the line out signal from the tape deck. I used an Arion analog delay (mono in, stereo/mono out) to get a stereo signal into the tape deck, back when I was using that setup.

Guess I'm going to have to put the Winderz machine online, I normally run Linux but it's telling me flash player won't load. Must be the earlier version. If i can get some quiet this weekend I might try to check this out, might be fun.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Hmmm...not sure what's going on but Winderz won't open Flash player either, and I can't see anything to just download the tracks. I get an error message that says "Flash player cannot be initialized". But I might be missing something...

Have the latest Flash player, I think anyway, going to try and redo it and install the one posted right now, so I know it will be the latest but this makes no sense. I downloaded the jam track last time, a couple of weeks ago, with no problem but never had a chance and some quiet to try and record anything.Now it won't open Flash player or anything...strange...

I'll keep trying, just have to figure out what's going on.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Outside Octaves
I'd love to join in , only... I'd be the lowest point on the whole thing . I don't know how to follow chords, cause I don't know my scales like I should... practicing, but damn :| .

BTW, what is "Machine Gun"?

(emo noob anyone :P )

If Could only listen to one song the rest of my life it would be Machine Gun. There is more emotion, talent, and vision in that song. Plus that drum lick that sounds like a a rifle burst is amazing.

Maybe we could have the people that want to do Machine Gun do the first part of the jam, then transition into the Grateful Dead jam with the people that want to do that one.
Do not concentrate on the finger for you will miss all the heavenly glory.
Last edited by RobertEarlKeen at Oct 19, 2007,
^It's only one track over which we all do our own jam and then put it all into one mega track. It looks like the Machine Gun backing track is pulling away with it now.
Founder of Jaco society

yea im down for sure. Is that a backing track for China Cat Sunflower, sounds eerily similar?
Do not concentrate on the finger for you will miss all the heavenly glory.
Last edited by RobertEarlKeen at Oct 19, 2007,
Page 1 of 3