Hey UGers,
I have an assignment for school where I have to survey a couple dozen people about what they think a soul is. Doesn't matter who you are, if you want to share what you think, post in this thread. The more answers I get, the higher grade I get.
The questions are as follows, just copy and paste them into your post, then type your answer.

1.Do you believe every person has a soul:
2. Define the word Soul
3. What is the soul for (If you don't believe in a soul, what do you believe in?)
4. Where does the soul exist?
5. Do you believe in an afterlife (If you don't believe in one, what do you believe in)?

Remember, I just need answers. This isn't a religious question, and the more diverse the beliefs, the better.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by punkermin777 at Oct 17, 2007,
Yes

2. Define the word Soul
The soul is the part of you which isn't substantial. It exists outside of the material world. It is everything you are than isn't made of matter. It is your thoughts, emotions, way of thinking, your knowledge, your perception of the world etc.

3. What is the soul for (If you don't believe in a soul, what do you believe in?)
The soul is the living part of us. Without a soul, we'd be blobs of flesh.

In a higher dimension. You can't see it or interact with it in any way, but it can with you.

5. Do you believe in an afterlife (If you don't believe in one, what do you believe in)?
I'm not sure. I believe in a post-humous dream that continues forever. Only you don't really notice it, cos you're dead. Kinda hard for me to describe.
1.Do you believe every person has a soul: Yes

2. Define the word Soul: A Soul is the spiritual part of the human which makes them different to any other living creature, linking us to some higher entity is some way too complicated for humans to even comprehend.

3. What is the soul for (If you don't believe in a soul, what do you believe in?): The Soul is the part of the human entity which joins us with whatever created this world in a way that is far to complicated to base on empirical evidence

4. Where does the soul exist? Within the body of the believer

5. Do you believe in an afterlife (If you don't believe in one, what do you believe in)? Yes, where we will meet the creator when we pass through to whatever lies ahead.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Some more than others... Just kidding, to some extent, I feel that i do, but i'm an extremely hands-on kinda guy, i find it impossible to believe in something you can't prove.

2. Define the word Soul:
Wait, we talked about this in psychology last week... It's the part of a person that isn't their body... I think I don't even know man... Thats hard to define... But thats what i remember.

I'm still trying to figure that out honestly. Signed up for a few metaphysic classes and philosiphy and pschology so as soon as i find out i'll let you know. I believe in purpose I guess, which is kind of the same thing. Everything happens for a reason, and we're all put here for a certain purpose. The concept of a soul doesn't really fit in there for me, now I'm not saying i don't believe in it, but i dunno... It's just hard to determine i guess.

Bone marrow

I don't know what I believe in. That kinda scares me. So, undetermined, non-applicable...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
yes

2. Define the word Soul
the unique part of a person that goes on after you die

same as above
in your heart

5. Do you believe in an afterlife (If you don't believe in one, what do you believe in)
i believe you get reincarnated (sp?) and your soul plays the same life out over and over again but with ONE different choice everytime (eg, you didn't go to the concert where you met your husband/wife at and later had children with)

that was surprisingly difficult
Quote by rich_sg
Oh come on Emz, the thread is who's your favorite UG'er, not MOST FAVORITE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!

Elecktra Of The UG Hero's And Villian's Club Pm josh999x To Join

The proud owner of [x]Huffy[x]

Quote by Heafyman
You Jackass_babe are cool.
1. No

2. I think it's a word people put on something they can't explain: Human behaviour.

3. I believe that humans are simply advanced organisms with a large genome, which leads to every human being being unique in quite recognizable ways, though that may also be something about our brains. I'm sure animals can tell the differences between eachother just as well as we humans can.

4. If anywhere, our brains are the part of the body most significantly defining us as individuals.

5. No. I believe that we simply shut down at our death, that's it.
I'm a communist. Really.
1.Do you believe every person has a soul?
I don't think it's possible to know, but if it has to be a yes or no answer, put me as a no

2. Define the word Soul?
The non-physical aspect, the essence of a person. The sense of being one entity, rather than a collection of individual cells. To many it is the only 'real' part of someone, their physical self being an illusion, only the spiritual part of them truly exists, though it is not tangible, or detectable in the physical realm. Or something.

All I know is that somehow, I am capable of thinking, and am one person, despite being just a load of cells etc. Whether this is just electrical impulses, or something more spiritual, I have no idea, and I don't want to believe 100% in either option, as I can't be sure if either is the truth.

No idea. It might be in the brain, it might permeate our whole bodies, it might not exist at all.

No.
No.

2. Define the word Soul
I think of a "soul" as being something special that supposedly gives us sentience/emotional intelligence instead of being blobs of carbon. It also would give you individuality.

I think that we're simply the product of billions of years of trial and error. There really isn't much separating us from animals, considering how much of our DNA we share with them. We're not special, just evolved.

As Raziel said, the brain is what ultimately makes us individuals.

I don't think that it's probable, but it's possible. I think the most likely scenario is that you are simply dead - less than nothingness, because you're not alive to perceive it. And even if it's possible, it would simply be a continuation of consciousness after death - we don't fully understand the brain, there's a chance that some basic component of it survives.
Quote by Raziel2p
1. No

2. I think it's a word people put on something they can't explain: Human behaviour.

3. I believe that humans are simply advanced organisms with a large genome, which leads to every human being being unique in quite recognizable ways, though that may also be something about our brains. I'm sure animals can tell the differences between eachother just as well as we humans can.

4. If anywhere, our brains are the part of the body most significantly defining us as individuals.

5. No. I believe that we simply shut down at our death, that's it.

You answered that in the most pessimistic way possible. Thanks i'm off to hang myself.
Yes

2. Define the word Soul
It's the essential being. THe body is just it's facade, it's shell, it's protection. The soul is what you actually are, what's good and bad inside of oyu.

It's what you are...see above.

In the body until death, when it is released.

Yes
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
1.Do you believe every person has a soul: yeah
2. Define the word Soul: james brown
3. What is the soul for (If you don't believe in a soul, what do you believe in?) conssions
4. Where does the soul exist?: your spirit
5. Do you believe in an afterlife (If you don't believe in one, what do you believe in)? yeah
have you never heard the dragonforce song...my soul and my spirit will go on...for all of eternty...
life is a misery dont know hows its come to be
death the epitome of all of our days
and in the past you had no choice, to hear or to be the voice
close your eyes and visulaise the deamon to arise
even though that sanity is not as it was meant to be
and all that misery has taken a new stand...
in the land of a thousand souls, we will cary on through the rain
in the sun we will move along with the memory of the slain
when i see this humanity and the evil that they have come to be, weve come to the point of no return and you beg for just
one more time...crap this is taking too long...you get the point...dragonforce=pwange
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
1.Do you believe every person has a soul: Yes
2. Define the word Soul: Marvin Gaye
3. What is the soul for (If you don't believe in a soul, what do you believe in?) Its what seperates us from the animals. It allows us to make choices in life.
4. Where does the soul exist? The mind
5. Do you believe in an afterlife (If you don't believe in one, what do you believe in)? Yes. I mean, theres got to be more to it than this.
Yes
2. Define the word Soul
It's the thing that makes you alive and gives you feelings.
See above
Another dimension
Yes, you go to heaven, or hell.
Quote by kidsthesedays
i often have urges to throw things at walls. and kick toddlers. i'm pretty sure that without the moral/legal/ethical ramifications, kicking a toddler like a football would be the most entertaining thing in the world.

yes

2. Define the word Soul
The final product of the mind after having had many experiences with many different things

I have no idea there are some things that you have to just say "I don't understand it" and look upon it happily in awe.

Within the brain in this physical world where else can it exist?

I believe that there is an afterlife but no god, I think it will be like this life only different. What I mean by that is I think there will be forms of democracy forms of police and some form of a government/society.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Everyones views are so interesting..
I won't offer mine
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
2. Define the word Soul

1. In a moral sense, yes.
2. ...A persons...Moral nature..hmm...
3. See above
4. In the mind
5. I do not believe in an afterlife. Death is final.
Yes.

2. Define the word Soul
The part of you that goes to heaven while the rest of you rots, so i guess it's a pretty important part.

Moral purposes.

Somewhere in the body, though it must either be pretty small or invisible cause I don't think anyone's been able to find it.

I'd like to think that there's an afterlife, but I guess I'll find out one day.

Yes.

2. Define the word Soul

An unseen, eternal entity contained by our bodies until death.

Continuation of existence after the human brain dies.

Within the body until it is released upon death.

Yes.
1.Do you believe every person has a soul?

Yes I do believe everyone has a soul. At least, every human being I think. I'm of the belief that we are created equal and thus aren't able to function without the soul which is linked in some way to your spirituality. Similarly, many people are just not in touch with their spirituality and aren't connected with their soul. But, I think they have one.

2. Define the word Soul

The soul is not a physical entity. It is a metaphor for your underlying principles, values, notions, behaviours, thoughts, etc. The soul mainly personifies what is moral to you in this world. Losing your soul metaphorically would be like losing touch with the morals that you originally held dear and important to yourself. Losing your soul would be like losing your personality and most things that make you you and doesn't allow anyone else to be you. It is your zest, your vigor, your passion for life. Without a soul, you are just another organism created by nature to follow the carbon cycle. Ultimately, only human beings can have souls.

Once again, the soul defines you whether it be actively or passively. I believe that people who are more religious and spiritual are able to unlock and unleash the benefits of being aware of the soul, while some almost choose to ignore the fact that a soul exists. The difference is that some people have acknowledged passively in their brain that their soul exists and that it is what makes them human. All human nature related subjects are related to the soul. Without the soul, we would be reduced to eating, reproducing, and instinct based actions.

The soul is not a physical entity and thus cannot physically exist anywhere in the human body or the scope of the entire universe. The soul is more of a mental diagram that you are programmed at birth with. Although your thoughts can and will change throughout your life, the soul will guide you and lead you to unexplained places in life and similarly make you do and experience things that are unexplainable, yet are defined by your soul individually. In essence, every soul is capable of harmony with the world. I think a soul is neither positive or negative in nature in that it doesn't make you feel neglect to this world and neither make you enjoy life to its fullest. Much like the brain, you can't physically feel thought, but you can in some ways map out thought patterns and see what parts of the brain are activated. Your soul would in some way be involved to some extent in each and every single part of your brain.

I think that an afterlife does in some way exist. I think that once you die and the carbon cycle occurs, the molecules that were once a part of you matter no more, but your soul in some way instills itself in another being in the future, and you unknowingly begin new life without knowledge of any prior existence. It's either that, or your soul simply dissapears, and when babies are considered a fetus, then that is when an entirely new soul is created passively just through mental growth inside the womb.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Oct 18, 2007,
Well, I guess I should bump before I get off for good.
I need this by Friday, so keep them coming!
1.Yes I do

2. The soul to me is like, the thing behind you being alive and being able to interact with other people and stuff. The thing that sorta seperates Humans from Animals is the level of communication between each other, the sort of interlect that humans have. I think it also has stuff to do with a humans feelings and emotions, along with our concience and just motivation for doing things other than staying alive.

3. The soul is there to give us humans what it is that makes us different from animals. The whole feeling of emotions and conscience. It is also the link between us and God.

4. The soul to me has always been that spiritual part of a being, usually located in the chest, lol.

5. Yes I believe in an afterlife. The whole fact of heaven and hell. However, I'm uncertain on how Judgement day would work, whether your spirit just hangs around until the day, of if the day you die, you go up to heaven already (if you are saved). But then, I doubt God would put you in hell just yet if you weren't saved. But yeah, there is an afterlife.
No

2. Define the word Soul:
a rubbish thing made up by christians to help them gain faith

I believe that we dont have a soul and that science > religion. our system is run by our BRAIN not some "spiritual" crap

it doesnt

You decay and rot in the grave, deal with it, tough luck

Yes this was a serious response

Also if you want a little inspiriation, just remember, next time you're feeling big and proud and that you matter...you dont...you are one of 6 000 000 000 people in the world and there are trillions of worlds in trillions of solar systems, our solar system is on the rim of our galaxy and is barely a tiny dot, it is once again one of many. You are merely but a spec of nothing in the entire universe.
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
Last edited by Taylz24 at Oct 18, 2007,
Basically what winno said.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yes
2. Define the word Soul
A Part of us that is tied to us, yet does not exist in this universe
Allows us to exist once our brain dies
Outside of this universe
I belive that once our body dies our soul lives on in some sort of afterlife
Quote by cytehntr05
I don't want anything that makes my penis invisible. Its small enough already!
Quote by rocknrollstar

3. What is the soul for (If you don't believe in a soul, what do you believe in?) Its what seperates us from the animals. It allows us to make choices in life.

Animals don't make any choices in their life? Are they running a programmed script with no possibility to deviate from said script?

Some of these answers are pretty stupid.

I'll post what I think later.
No. I don't believe anyone has a soul.

2. Define the word Soul
It's something that is supposed to be uniquely human if I remember correctly, and the part of humans that remains after their physical self dies.

I believe in the human mind? I can't be bothered to expand on that.

Our brain.

No. We die. That's all.
:stickpoke
Yuhu, usually 2 =]
2. Define the word Soul
The Bottom of a human foot =]
To stand on?
Thats just stupid =]
Not really... you just die.. end of =]

nah, sseriously

nope
2. Define the word Soul
overall personality, morally
free will, stopping everyone from donig the exact same in the same situation
The brain =]
Not really... you just die.. end of =]... pretty much
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Well, I was able to get some surveys from other people that I know, but the teacher assigned it again, because no one got it done, and since I had mine done, she said if I kept getting surveys completed, that she'd give me even more extra credit.
Keep them coming!
No, I do not.

2. Define the word Soul
I think the soul is just something thought up to give an explanation for the way we act and think.

I believe in our minds being molded from the things we experience in our lives. That is what determines how we act and think

Our thoughts and actions come from our brain, I believe.

I would like to, but sadly I think when we die, we just die.
no

2. Define the word Soul
i knoe the soul to be a part of a person which we cannot see nor feel, and is said to live on after death, i personally don't believe they exist

i don't believe in souls, i believe that we are creatures, such as dogs, cats and all nature, the only difference is that we evolved to be dominant and the neeed to believe we were special came along and someone suggested we have special souls. the soul was designed by people who needed to believe that after they died part of them would still live on, because they were scared of death and being gone

only in the mind, we don't have souls, they are just a thought

no i don't, i believe that when we are gone, we're gone, there is no need for there to be an afterlife, when we die there is no more contact, no soul/ghost

hope that helps
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Yes, but not in the Christian sense.

2. Define the word Soul
The part of the self that produces the sense of conscience and emotion not found in the conscious, subconscious or unconscious mind (that's Freud btw.)

Contributing to the emotional makeup of a person.

Somewhere in the central nervous system.

I'm inclined towards no at the moment. In the last couple of years I've realised what a load of bollocks Christianity is, so I'm progressively questioning and disproving all that it taught me.
Yep

2. Define the word Soul
Their Passion

Expressing Yourself

In Your Veins

No, I believe when you die, you die.