Poll: What should i do
Poll Options
View poll results: What should i do
Marshall
11 25%
Orange
33 75%
Voters: 44.
i've never played an orange but i've heard really good things about it and i'm thinking of getting one...right now i have a JCM 800 2203 but it is way too loud and big....people have told me that orange amps sound like marshalls but come in 30Ws....i play blues (SRV, Buddy Guy Hendrix), rock (Santana, Zeppelin, Zappa, Crimson, Deep Purple) and some metal (Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer, Blind Guardian)...i can get really close to the tone i want with my amp but it's kind of annoying to have a huge amp, specially when going to gigs or to jams....so, should i stay with my marshall or should i sell it and buy an orange?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by muffinman123192
Can you get an attenuator for home use?

yea, i bought an ultimate attenuator but it's still annoying to have a huge amp to take to gigs...i have to borrow a car every time i have one because it doesn't fit in my car lol
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
I don't know man, that's tough. The tone from a JCM800 is definitely a desirable one. Ask yourself. Are you satisfied with it tonewise?
Ben
I'd go Orange sos you can actually crank it although the JCM800 is an insanely nice amp
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by muffinman123192
I don't know man, that's tough. The tone from a JCM800 is definitely a desirable one. Ask yourself. Are you satisfied with it tonewise?

i love the tone, but that thing is huge lol...i'm just wondering if i can get that same tone with an orange, since it's smaller, i've heard it sounds like marshalls and i've seen bands that i like use them (free, sabbath and zz top)
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Oct 17, 2007,
Go and try it out somewhere. Crank it. If you think the tone matches your Marshall, you're decision should be easy.
Ben
Check out Gabe's UGP for clips of his Rocker- only problem is it won't be able to do thrash easily without an OD (i'd just get an OCD fulltone to keep the tone in the same sort of general direction).
I can only imagine an OCD Fulltone and a Rocker 30 being insanely nice
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by muffinman123192
Go and try it out somewhere. Crank it. If you think the tone matches your Marshall, you're decision should be easy.

i've called some places and the closer store with orange amps is 2 hours from here...that's why i'm asking this, i want to see if i should drive that long to try it...from the poll, i think i'm gonna be going soon lol
-Homer Simpson
You need to go try an Orange or two. Many of their amps sound very similar to Marshalls (GOOD real Marshalls). I've heard live demos of the Tiny Terror, Rocker 30,
Rockerverb 50, & Thunderverb, & they all sounded great. Great 80s rock sound. It's too bad you're getting rid of that JCM, but you should be able to get similar sounds from a number of Oranges.
Really, though. Make an effort to go try them out first.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by muffinman123192
How much are you selling your JCM for?

i don't even know if i'm gonna sell it, i have to try the orange amps first
-Homer Simpson
Say between an orange ad and a marshall vintage head (both vintage series') - whatever.
I am also trying to decide between a marshall or orange.
I know orange tends to be darker and marshall has more bite and crunch.
Leaning toward orange.

torn between my two favorite guitarists - hendrix and omar rodriguez-lopez!
If you pull the two outer tubes on the JCM you can effectively have 50W and get power tube breakup sooner for blues and rock.

I agree that they are insane volume monsters - I don't dare take my 2204 above 4 unless I'm practicing alone. If the Oranges don't do it for you, I'd invest in a good attenuator, like a Ho/Ultimate, or get a Weber MASS 200 and a Crate Power Block to reamp with.

I voted for the Marshall though, because I LOVE the tone of this thing when it's cranked. The JJs really howl!

Edit: I read your second post and see that you already have one. Remember me if you decide to unload your old stuff and don't want it anymore as I'm in the market for a Ho/Ultimate and I love used gear.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jun 9, 2009,
Talk about a necropost...
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

You've actually got probably the best model Marshall currently makes. I'd hold onto it man. It maybe a pain, but I'm sure it sounds great, that is, if it's the tone you're looking for.

But that's not to say that Orange isn't a great amp company. They're two different makers, and they've each got little quirks that makes them different. It's hard, so I'm just not gonna vote because they're too different.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Jun 9, 2009,
Quote by Yngwi3
Talk about a necropost...

Lol, I didn't look 2 posts behind me. It's totally unreasonable that I should have to check the date on front page threads.

Who the hell dug this up?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Keep the JCM and get a 212 cab instead of the 412. Simplest solution for keeping your sound and making it easier to transport
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Agreed. I good 212 will still give you plenty of balls and umph...along with tube pulling and an attenuator, the problem is solved. The 800's are great amps, but then again I also love Orange, I'd still stick with the 800.
if the size is the problem you aren't going to get much change in that department. the orange combos even the 30W are just as big as other combos. also if you like the 800 you probably won't get something to sound like it.
Check out budda amps too. I'd take a superdrive over any orange. And they do an 18 watt model, which would be amazing for club gigs. Still extremely loud for the wattage!
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.