Okay I'm stuck between so many amps. Some people say Fenders are the best, some say Marshall, some say Mesa. I have no clue.. All I know is I want a tube amp that is versatile. I need an amp with great cleans because I have to play at weddings sometimes. On the other hand, I like to play heavier stuff. The cleans are more important to me because there are always pedals for distortion so if you have any ideas please let me know.
A pedal through a fender amp will never sound the same as a mesa though. The only advice I can give you is try before you buy and look up clips on youtube and the internet of amps and make the decision.
haha everyone says something different all the time. its all preference. but one of those is probably better for the money, I would also like to know.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Carvin, Peavey JSX, Mesa, ENGL.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

If you are going to use a pedal try out a Fender Twin Reverb. Some of the most awesome cleans in the biz. You will have a very hard time finding an amp to deliver both pristine sparkley cleans and awesome distortion.
Quote by PerpetualBurn
Carvin, Peavey JSX, Mesa, ENGL.

JSX's have pretty bad cleans, imo, Mesa's are hit or miss (recto clean = ). I think that for you money Carvin v3's would be the best. Good cleans and awesome distortiong. Fairily versatile amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUMlsfwmCyc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeV5GJ4-FzM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7OV3U1Dmjk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9YSZZZTGUY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt30hPZd8uk

There's some vids of it. I would suggest that and an avatar 2x12 from avatarspeakers.com
Last edited by Say Ocean at Oct 17, 2007,
+1, the carvin v3 is amazing. great cleans, amazing distortion. 3 channels, so its extremely versitile. you probobly wouldnt even need a pedal for this one. plus, compared to marshalls, mesas, and a JSX its fairly cheap, only $999usd for the head or $1049 for a combo.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Due to my location, I have a pretty good drive to a decent shop plus I don't even know a shop that carries Carvin amps. Are there any sites that sell them?
Didn't see a price range anywhere, but depending on that. I'd go for either a Mesa F series combo or a Mesa Mark IV, both have the best cleans I've heard on a Mesa, or any amp for that matter, and can get very heavy as well for playing what you like to play.

Give them a try if you can find any around your area, deffinately worth a look for sure.

F-30s I've seen for as low as $400, F-50s as low as $500, I wouldn't pay over $750 used for either though. Mark IVs can be found for about $1000 if you keep a lookout.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Say Ocean
PS Look into Carvin v3's

or the legacy. either one would be great, especially with the price!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Fender twin reverb if you dont mind pedal distortion, although it will never sound as good as an amp meant for high gain. If you're distorion needs dont go much higher than classic rock/blues i'd say try out the mesa lonestar. If you dont quite have that much money though i'd look into Carvins. Engl cleans aren't very good, nor are most Mesa's (F series and Lonestar excluded, though i hear good things about mark IV's).
Quote by nirvallica
Fender twin reverb if you dont mind pedal distortion, although it will never sound as good as an amp meant for high gain. If you're distorion needs dont go much higher than classic rock/blues i'd say try out the mesa lonestar. If you dont quite have that much money though i'd look into Carvins. Engl cleans aren't very good, nor are most Mesa's (F series and Lonestar excluded, though i hear good things about mark IV's).

Not true. Pretty big generalization, imo. Some amps do have pretty bad cleans, but some of their amps have amazing cleans. Its more on a model by model basis.
Well if money isnt important I would say get an orange rocker and a fulltone OCD.

You have good cleans, Uber nice OD and it can get pretty heavy, especially when you kick the fulltone on as well.

Also Mesa Mark IVs are always praised as having good cleans, and are really versatile amps (I havnt tried one myself) but as with most Mesa's, very tweakable, and to get a real good sound you will stick with you have to tweak for awhile.
Quote by fifer
haha everyone says something different all the time. its all preference. but one of those is probably better for the money, I would also like to know.

+1
The Fender Super Sonic is an amazing amp for both. It can get you pretty heavy, but the amp is based on the cleans. It is about a grand and comes in head and combo's. They are very underused and talked about in the forums, and I play one about every other day.(Friend has one.)

Otherwise, the Mesa Boogie Mark Series is probably a good fit for you.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
what kind of money are you talking?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Carvin V3 is really speaking to me but another question has come up. I kinda like the tone of a Vox AC30.. do you think the Carvin could get tones close to the vox? Oh my price range is about up to 1200.. maybe a little more..
Quote by Say Ocean
PS Look into Carvin v3's

+a dozen. Really good, versatile, powerfull amp.

Edit: Oh, wait. If you like the tone of an AC30, get an AC30! The Carvin could probably get close, and be more versatile, but if you already found what you want...