Page 1 of 2
I am a sophomore at an all guys catholic high school. We go from 8am-3pm and have 7 classes during the day that are: Sciences, Math, English, Theology, Foreign Language, History, and an elective. I am exhausted. I feel like I am overworked with not only just homework, but multiple tests and quizzes. I manage to do well, in fact, the lowest grade I have in any class is a 95% but it's like sometimes I can't even make it through the afternoons without falling asleep. I even try to go bed earlier and earlier. I get home from school around 3:30, lay down for 30 minutes and do my homework before and after dinner. I am usually left with about 30 minutes before I feel like I need to go to bed. Last night I went to bed at 10 but it didn't help that much. Most of my class is feeling the same way as well especially with varsity athletes whose practices can go from 3pm to 6pm. Is there anything at all I can do?! I just feel like my workload needs to be a little lighter so I can actually have some free time and time to rest
Maybe you should drop a class? That, or just don't put as much effort into one of your less-important classes. =/

How much sleep do you get each night? I've never gone to bed before 10 in the past decade. o.O
Quote by yawn
Maybe you should drop a class? That, or just don't put as much effort into one of your less-important classes. =/

I can't. Right now I am doing the ABSOLUTE minimum in order to pass sophomore year and I feel that putting less effort in a class would come back and bite me in the ass for college
you shouldnt exactly go to bed when you feel tired, it should be a somewhat set time every night

and you do seem to be a little over worked, try to make more time in your day to relax
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

MY STUFF
-Ibanez limited edition RG electric guitar
-Digitech RP250 multi effects
-Digitech DF-7Distortion Factory
-Marshall MG100 half stack
you're lucky your school starts at 8. mine starts at 6:30. it's super suck. I go to bed at 9 usually, and i get around 4 hours sleep because i have insomnia. Anyway, you gotta not even think about how much sleep you're getting. Every new day just start again, tell yourself to do the same exact thing you do every day, and you wont feel tired.
Last edited by devilscruffs14 at Oct 17, 2007,
That's pretty bizarre. Sounds like there's something else occupying you, because class from 8 till 3 seems pretty manageable. =/
talk to ur parents about it and your teachers. maybe go to a public school. its free and less work for the most part
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Get lots of sleep during the weekends.

A normal school day. I go to sleep at like 1 and wake up at 7:30

6 and half is just about enough for me. But I am always tired in the end of the week. What do I do. I make the time up during the weekend. Go to bed at 1 and wake up at 12. FTW!

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by yawn
That's pretty bizarre. Sounds like there's something else occupying you, because class from 8 till 3 seems pretty manageable. =/

yea, again, its not just classes. I mean I am fine with our schedule (8-3) but I have endless amounts of tests,quizzes, and homework. It's not like I can just tell my teachers "hey, we shouldn't have homework tonight"
First of all, your class names are really general, haha. "Sciences" makes me laugh like crazy. I'm taking 3 Science classes, to put that in prospective.

For advice, I don't know what to tell you. Can your ellective be a study hall? I haven't taken homework home in about 3 years and I have nearly a 4.0... Due to having a study hall.
It's high school. You're going to be tired. Try to take easier classes if these are killing you.
^ftw.
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
its cus ita a catholic school that thing is sucking ur soul slowly out of your body!! lol jk
idk honestly idk i only get like 4 hours of sleep everynight and go to school from 7-3 and i always have energy to spare
My rig:
Ibanez GIO-7 or squier fatstrat-->dunlop crybaby with fasels---->line 6 Spider II 112 75 watt
That's odd. I have class from 10 to 8 until 2:15. You ave a longer day. But I don't think you'r getting as much as you can from your sleep. Research up on that. Also, a 9-9:30 bed time is best. That is, when you wake up at like 6:30 like me.
Haha come on man you should know this one, Sunday is the day for rest. Would think you would know that from theology. But yeah school can get like that, you just have to tough it out. If you do well enough you'll be thankful in college. My freshman year i am basically slacking to the extreme and still making high B's or A's in all of my classes.
i used to have a schedule similar to that in middle school, a public school, there are reasons why there are only like 4 schools doing it in the whole US anymore, and its because of the same reason which you are saying. It doesn't leave anytime for the teachers and students to learn what they need to during a normal day, so they force a bunch of homework on the students instead of making it the administrations responsibility that students cant learn on a schedule they designed. Leave it to adults who think they know more than students/kids to say it is a student that is having an issue, not their plan.
Your heart will not stop beating if you happen to get a B or a C in a class. Don't kill yourself.
Quote by imicius
Your heart will not stop beating if you happen to get a B or a C in a class. Don't kill yourself.

^qft
I had the same schedule sophomore year (and I had straight A's) and I managed it fine. I'm no doctor but that kind of fatigue might be a result of vitamin or nutrient deficiency. Are you eating a balanced breakfast before you go to school? Because you'd be surprised how much more awake and energetic you are when you do.
yo. its a little brutal but just suck it up. I'm a junior in high school and my day is from 6:30 to 3:30, we have the longest day in our state, and I'm taking 4 AP classes. the workload is heavy but you can always find ways to get it done. If you have an easy class, do homework from one of your other classes in it. Time when your running scales on guitar is a good time to study stuff you don't need your hands for. And don't forget about strategic zero's. If you have a class that you know the teacher is lenient about late work, take advantage of that every once and a while and do some work for a teacher who is more strict about that stuff instead.
Current setup:
Electrics: Epiphone Black Beauty, Ibanez Gio, Epiphone SG 310
Acoustic: Alverez Dreadnought
Amp: Crate GLX-30 Amp
Bass: Silvertone 4-string
drink coffee, it works good. you'll have energy.
Member #4 of The Fulltone Users League
Member #68 of the EHX Users Guild

You Would
instead of studying at night, study in homeroom or something. do your homework in between classes throughout the day if you can. theology is a waste of educational time, maybe just give up in that class.
wow, you're like an inspiration man.i have only 4 classes and im doing so bad. i can't even get a 95. i'm getting like all in the 60's. and i barely do any hw or study. and i still feel overwhelemd sometimes that my eye twitches during the day which is a major drag cuz i can't act calm when it twitches, i start to panic. u know what you should do, You should give yourself a pat in the back seriously. You should be proud of yourself. if you don't have a good future, at least you can say, i did pretty good in highschool. talk to ur teachers or counsellors and ask for some advice. Maybe they can pull some strings for you cuz u seem like a rlly trust worthy guy that won't slack off.
im not exactly sure what to tell ya, except, dont worry about it. In high school you're growing, so ur body wants all the sleep you can get, you'll prabably always be tired no matter how much sleep you get. but stick through it, drop a class if you can, and you'll be glad you did come college
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
you think you're overworked now?
just wait til junior year.
you're not going to die if you get less than an A.
just try to relax, and take it as it comes.
(this is coming from someone whose got a D in physics but As in everything else, but so take it for what it's worth. plus i'm not in a private school. but yeah, that's just my take on it.)
you definitely don't need to keep 95's in all your classes man...shoot for 92's and 91's...you keep the 4.0 and you can probably do it w/o studying at all...that's what i did in hs...

and you dont have to worry about learning the material for college. college is way easier than high school.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
yea, again, its not just classes. I mean I am fine with our schedule (8-3) but I have endless amounts of tests,quizzes, and homework. It's not like I can just tell my teachers "hey, we shouldn't have homework tonight"

I used to go to a school that sounds exactly like yours, just in miami, and except from 7:40 to 2:30.. and in freshman year, i remember it was exausting, and i would go to bed super early, halfway through the year, i moved to uruguay, and here, if you pass with a 6 [grading scale goes from 1 to 6] you're happy, when teachers assign hw, 1-2 people do it, and on test 13 [out of 30] people pass em, half of my friends already repeated [not me thank god] its a pretty lay back school style, and i'm not as exshausted..

answer: move to uruguay
I've got a day kinda like that the only things I can suggest are maybe take a cold shower in the mornings to wake you up abruptly, you could sleep in classes where you have free time or maybe look for Vitamins to take that'll give you more energy. I think those are B-vitamins but I'm not sure just look for things that give prolonged energy and don't stress, it'll only get worse if you do.
My Rig:
Ibanez RVX 220DX
Vox Valvetronix 30watt
Lawlz, High school iz serious business.

You're gonna **** a brick when you get to college if you can't handle HS.
Im a sophmore this year, and schools not really that challenging. Last year though, I got my ass kicked the first nine weeks. I had to wake up at 6 for cross country and went to bed at 10. I was inudated with homework and projects. This year Im a sophmore and wake up even earlier. Im not as tierd though because I mediate for about 10 minutes before going to bed. I also dont have that much homework because i dont do it. Say theres a math assignment. Ill do enough so that I understand and nothing more.

Its really a balancing act. All that matters is getting an A. Ill back off and not do any work in an easy class, so I have more time to prepare for harder classes. Slack off in hard classes. Cut corners on assignments and invest that time in your harder classes.
I'll be your number one with a bullet.
Maybe you should drop a class? [BThat, or just don't put as much effort into one of your less-important classes. =/

How much sleep do you get each night? I've never gone to bed before 10 in the past decade. o.O

That's what I do with most of my classes.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
If you don't want to cut down on classes, you should maybe look into a change of diet. It sounds weird but a lot of people tell me that eating certain foods makes you tired.

Take a one and a half hour nap when you get home from school and then do your school work. My anthropology professor does this and he said it's really refreshing.

I have nothing else to offer.
:stickpoke
Quote by Banlieue
If you don't want to cut down on classes, you should maybe look into a change of diet. It sounds weird but a lot of people tell me that eating certain foods makes you tired.

Take a one and a half hour nap when you get home from school and then do your school work. My anthropology professor does this and he said it's really refreshing.

I have nothing else to offer.

Well I usually have some cheerios or any other cereal, a granola bar, and maybe some kind of fruit. For lunch I have fat free yogurt, a salad, and some kind of a sandwich (pbj, chicken, etc.) and for dinner it definently varies from day to day. For example, tonight i made some chicken on the grill, peas, and a baked potato.
my schedule this year is awesome..

i get out at 12:40 every day. 2 AP's, and some other BS.

Senior year ftw

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Stop b*tching. I'M KIDDING, but seriously. I go to a Catholic High School, am a sophomore, play sports, etc. . . Just deal. Sleep on the weekends, get a damn girlfriend (she'll keep you invigorated) and have fun with it. You'd be suprised how much fun you can have and still keep above a 4.0. . .
Page 1 of 2