Alright, I've been playing bass for about a year, and I started out on a Squier P-Bass.

About 3 months ago, I bought a Squier Jazz Bass, (didn't have enough for Fender)...still a good bass, but anywho...

I was wanting a fretless bass and was wondering how the P-Bass would sound if I were to get rid of the frets.

Would it be a good idea, or a bad one?

Thanks.
Yeah, I don't really know anyone who plays one, (maybe Victor Wooten, don't remember)...

But do you think it would sound nice? Or would it be horrible tone?

I was thinking about maybe buying a fretless neck off of Warmoth.com, but I don't have that much money...
You know that the first Fretless bass Fender ever made was a fretless Precision, right? Buy the Led Zeppelin DVD - JPJ plays one in 1975.

And a lot of folks down here have circumfretted their P-basses. PM Jazz_rock_feel.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i was thinking about doing the same exact thing....

Sting played a fretless P with a maple fretboard no?
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass
i was thinking about doing the same exact thing....

Sting played a fretless P with a maple fretboard no?

Nope, it has frets.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz

And a lot of folks down here have circumfretted their P-basses. PM Jazz_rock_feel.

I did as well (before JRF ) but the P-bass neck isn't on the P-bass anymore. It's now on my fretless Thunderbird, which is currently under construction. Feel free to ask about the process though.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Confused4930
I did as well (before JRF ) but the P-bass neck isn't on the P-bass anymore. It's now on my fretless Thunderbird, which is currently under construction. Feel free to ask about the process though.

Are you sure you want a fretless Tbird? Won't the neck dive throw off your intonation after your hand gets tired?
Quote by Cody_Grey102