So, uh, yeah. A friend and myself are trying to form a band (as of now, we both play guitar and we have a drummer and keyboardist), and I'm just doubtful I'll even be seen as "leader". I have a certain vision of what I'd like us to sound like, but getting other members to agree is the main problem. Plus, I'll probably end up playing rhythm guitar (not exactly the most glamorous of positions), maybe tambura if I get around to buying one, and I don't have much of a singing voice.

Slightly depressing to me, but to be honest, I never liked the spotlight much.....

.......looking back, this post has absolutely no point. damn....
well if you don't sing you might not be seen as a band leader anyway but being a leader isn't the main focus of a band. getting everyone to agree on a certain sound is key. just put out your ideas and have the other guys put in their two cents and you'll be fine but a leader, don't know. you could ask your band later if they think you're a leader or not.

disclaimer: all this coming to you from a guy whose never been in a band so you might not want to go off of what i say
Quote by bassboy 999
Cheers to you triple x maniac

Quote by snipelfritz
Wait, your dick is in a chick's ass, and you're complaining.

Its a sad, sad day.
you know, its not necessarily being a singer that makes you a bandleader. I don't sing, I play lead/rhythm guitar, and I'm technically the "bandleader." Just make sure everyone's opinions are valued, and be really chill, and you will be looked at as the leader.

Also triple_X_maniac, regarding your thing above your avatar, I believe that I am the local baby eater here....
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Quote by triple_X_maniac
well if you don't sing you might not be seen as a band leader anyway but being a leader isn't the main focus of a band. getting everyone to agree on a certain sound is key. just put out your ideas and have the other guys put in their two cents and you'll be fine but a leader, don't know. you could ask your band later if they think you're a leader or not.

+1
And what's wrong with not playing lead guitar? You have to do everything you can to make your part of the band as important as everyone else's.
lol you cant say its your band. or that your a bandleader if theres other members that have ideas too. im in a great screamo band and noones the "bandleader" we have a singer, 2 lead guit, me (bass), and our drummer. we all have a say in every part of our music and majority always rules.
Quote by silhouettica
Also triple_X_maniac, regarding your thing above your avatar, I believe that I am the local baby eater here....

we should combine our forces

and i might just sig that
Quote by bassboy 999
Cheers to you triple x maniac

Quote by snipelfritz
Wait, your dick is in a chick's ass, and you're complaining.

Its a sad, sad day.
I'm not saying it's my band. I'd like to have my vision come to be, but I'm open-minded about that kind of thing. Someone else has good concepts, we'll try to incorporate that in to the overall style, stuff like that.

All I'm really looking for is uniqueness. Well, GOOD uniqueness: talentless uniqueness isn't going to get us anywhere.....

Like I said before, that first post was pretty freakin' pointless.
I found the difference in my status in my band remarkable when I started singing. There's something about being out the front of the band leading the way that gives a special status in the band. In my band (and I say 'my' in the sense that it's the band I'm in) everyone is equal, and everyone has the power of veto, for gigs, or song selection, or whatever.

Thing is, though, singing developed my confidence with my skills, so now, even when I'm not singing, people can tell that I have a leadership presence in the band.

I guess my point is that you don't have to front the band to be the 'leader', you just have to show leadership. Anyone can do that, regardless of what instrument play. Whatever works.
Quote by whosamerica
lol you cant say its your band. or that your a bandleader if theres other members that have ideas too. im in a great screamo band and noones the "bandleader" we have a singer, 2 lead guit, me (bass), and our drummer. we all have a say in every part of our music and majority always rules.

Just because other members have ideas doesn't mean there isn't a "band leader". Have you ever heard of the Beatles? Everyone in the band contributed, but Lennon and McCartney were the band leaders. Dream Theater? Same situation, Portnoy is the leader, but others contribute. And to be honest, majority rule isn't the best policy when it comes to music. There will always be somebody shot down because they have different tastes. Therefore, the ones who keep making the decisions that get voted in are essentially the "band leaders".
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
If you do most of the song writing, you will most likely be seen as the leader.

Also, it's a personality thing. If you tend to take charge and like having control, you'd also be considered a leader. That is if the rest of the band lets you.