I have a really good chance to get a marshall jcm 600 for cheap, its a combo 1x12. Was wondering how good these are for modern metal? Are they tube amps? I have a maxon od808 that I havent gotten a chance to use yet (dont have a tube amp) would I get good metal tones if I use that over the overdrive channel on the jcm600?
It won't be good for modern metal at all. The most metal it will do is Dokken, Ratt, and maybe Skid Row. Possibly some early thrash, but it simply won't stay articulate enough, and have enough gain to push modern metal, even with an OD.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
What about hard rock? Will it be able to achieve a Wylde-like tone with an OD pedal, or some 80s metal?
is it voiced closer to the 800 or 900?
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
I know "It Dies Today" recorded one of their albums though one if that helps at all.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Last time I checked, it was basically a souped up Plexi, yet not in the 800 range...

at least, thats what my knowledge of them goes to.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by soccerdude3465
I know "It Dies Today" recorded one of their albums though one if that helps at all.

That metal band? Surely they didn't use a jcm 600
ok, i assumed it was closer to a Plexi
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by patriotplayer90
That metal band? Surely they didn't use a jcm 600

I distinctly recall them sending out a bulletin on myspace regarding them selling one that had been used for their previous album.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Marshall's website has some stuff on all their old amps, this one included. Look there
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz