I'm relearning guitar but I don't seem to be getting good bends, I'm not sure whats up.
How can I practice bends?
I think it might be my string gauge because I went down a step to .9

Does anyone else have a problem with getting good, warm bends? I used to be able to, but I didn't know if there was a lesson on UG I could practice or any sites or anything?

EDIT: sweet! I just found a lesson on UG,
EDIT EDIT: Which wasn't very helpful
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Last edited by TDKshorty at Oct 17, 2007,
say the bend is on the seventh fret, use your first and second fingers on the fifth and sixth frets to help your middle finger bend the string over
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
say the bend is on the seventh fret, use your first and second fingers on the fifth and sixth frets to help your middle finger bend the string over

+1
I'm trying that and it's working but it seems like my bends are...weak I guess, and they don;t sustain long, I'm sure that is because of my strings, which I'm going to go back up to 11
smaller gauge strings shoudl be easier to bend, if the frets on your guitar are really worn down, that can effect the sustain on your bends, maybe concentrate on keeping the string down more at the top of the bend
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I switched to my SG, which has .10 gauge.
The thicker strings aren't harder to bend, I can bend just fine, but I keep getting that "pelican" sound from my bends...makes me wanna go "buhuhuhuhuh"
haha

I reinforced my bends but I feel that is only a temporary solution for quicker bending.
like the end of the solo to Dani California

I never reinforced my bends before though
Quote by TDKshorty
I'm trying that and it's working but it seems like my bends are...weak I guess, and they don;t sustain long, I'm sure that is because of my strings, which I'm going to go back up to 11

vibrato add the vibrato in those bends sustain longer
|