I've just bought a nice Ibanez guitar and whilst the pickups are decent (Infinities) I'm looking for new ones by Christmas.

I know the obvious ones are EMG 81 and 85's but I'd prefer not to sound like everybody else.

I was thinking more along the lines of some Bare Knuckle Pickups as I've been told they're good but I've never used them myself. Or perhaps some DiMarzios.

Any Suggestions?
DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck and EVO 2 in the bridge, that's what I'm gonna get.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
i agree stay away from emgs. even the signature ones sound the same as 81s... i say take a look at the dimarzio X2N. its super conductive and sounds amazing.
+1 for duncan blackouts

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Actives are a pain in the ass. Noisy and dependent on a battery. They die alot quicker than advertised, and halfway dead they start to sound like crap.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
id actually say seymour duncan distortions there pretty sweet and there not as expensive
Define heavy metal. Also, what amp are you using? It accounts for a HUGE percentage of your tone.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I got an X2N and I play metal. Its good! It got a lil' bit more mids than some other pickups though... so if you're a B10 M0 T10 kinda guy, stay away.

I like it though... it gives me my own sound
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
Quote by Ishiga
Actives are a pain in the ass. Noisy and dependent on a battery. They die alot quicker than advertised, and halfway dead they start to sound like crap.

You know if you leave the guitar unplugged the batteries last longer? and changing batteries isn't really a chore unless your really lazy
Actives are deffinitely worth it for metal. The cleans suffer a tad, but some reverb helps.

Blackouts seem a godsend. From users they're comparable to an EMG 81/85 combo with the 18V mod. Loads of headroom for the tone.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
i'd say, go for SD's LiveWire Metal if you're looking for something different. 2 9 volt batteries for the killer tone. the down part is that it just picks up too many unwanted noises ):
Ulquiorra Schiffer of THE BLEACH CLUB!

The Official UG Hate Crew member!

Love me because i'm an azn. hell yeah.
I'm looking for passive pickups to be honest, although I appreciate all the replies I've gotten!

I play everything from Killswitch Engage to Underoath, From Machine Head to Parkway Drive and Bring me the Horizon.

I like the idea of getting DiMarzio's though. PAF Pro and Evo 2 in the bridge right?

EDIT : I use a Marshall MG100DFX
Quote by Mikey1989
I'm looking for passive pickups to be honest, although I appreciate all the replies I've gotten!

I play everything from Killswitch Engage to Underoath, From Machine Head to Parkway Drive and Bring me the Horizon.

I like the idea of getting DiMarzio's though. PAF Pro and Evo 2 in the bridge right?

EDIT : I use a Marshall MG100DFX

the dimarzios would sound great, but IMO for the stuff you play the EMGs or blackouts would be a better choice. But if your against actives, then the dimarzios are rock solid.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Wicked.

Thanks a lot for your help. A second opinion is always a wise thing to look for. And you've provided it