ok ive been playing 1 1/2 years now and i love 80's thrash metal (metallica, megadeth, testament, exodus, heathen, etc.).... i can come up with some real good riffs (to me at least) but the problem is, ill have 1000 riffs and none will connect or flow together good... ive tried using one scale and only riffing from it but i still cant make riffs...... so after weeks of trying to make songs, i end up with cool intros to 10 songs instead of one whole song.... anyone have any tips on how to make riffs that actually flow together good? thanks all
Triplet galloping = thrash
Tremelo picking/straight 16th notes = speed metal.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Hmmmm write some riffs in the same key and when you have one that fits an intro or a verse or whatever try and get the vocal melodies going in your head then ye can start to come up with more riffs that would go well with the natural development of the vocal melodies that are in your head.

Usually what I do when I get like a writers block
Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Boss ME-50 muli-effects.
Fender Princeton 650 65-Watt amp.
Fellow Thrasher

I've been playing for 2 years and in the same situation.

I've come up with some things that seem to help a lot for my writing:

1. Make sure that if you're repeating a riff, that the number of chord changes and palm muted notes are even. What this means, is that makes sure you have the same number of power chords and PM'ed notes on each side in the middle of the riff. The riff will sound funny if it's not there.

2. Using the last note of a riff and going up a whole step or down a whole step is a good way to add some type of flow to riff transitions. This part is all about combining musical theory and keeping the Thrash bite, which is something both of us need to find.

3. Tailor your riffs to your playing style already. Do you use a lot of chords when you improvise? Or do you abuse the palm mute machine gun chug, using triplets and a mix of 8th/16 notes? What you improvise is a little hint of where you are as a musician. It can also show what you need to work on. For example, I have decent fret hand technique, but my picking hand needs to relax in order to keep up with the speed of the fretting hand, otherwise the notes will be a beat or so off.

4. Center a song around a single power chord or riff. Take a look at the Spider Riff in Master of Puppets. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it sound like the entire song was revolved around that (Excluding the Chorus and Pre-Solos, of course)?

5. Find a tuning you like. I didn't like Standard tuning so much, but when I started using Standard D, I was really getting the sound I wanted. Getting the right sound through tuning may lead you to being able to see what sounds good and bad with what particular note.

6. Just keep playing and writing. Don't forget to take a break for a couple of days after a few weeks of playing to rest your fingers. Your technique will definitely improve afterwards.

Hope this helps.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
ty for your help PunishedOne, i will try all these tips ( besides the taking a break thing of course )... i really liked the tip on moving up or down a whole step to start next riff, simple but effective... i usually tune half a step down (Eb standard).... im starting to develop my own style but not all the way yet.. now i just need to learn to shred and improve my tremolo picking on palm muted notes.... thanks again, keep thrashing
i foudn, for writing a metal song, a good (but simple formula is)
intro riff can also be used as the chorus, using a minor scale,
then in the verse a simpler riff made up of power chords. moving up and down in semi-tones.
then for solo's i just explor the minor scale.
sometimes adding notes that aren't in the scale, or even just elaborate on the intro riff.
i sometimes add notes into the scale and if you get it right it has a top slayer-ish sound
Sometimes I'll play an intro riff, hit a power chord for a beat or two then go into another intro riff.....then for the chorus play one intro riff with some minor fills to mix it up....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls