What's the cheapest Half stack which can deliver somewhat good tones? No Mg stacks please. But I was looking at an epiphone 5w stack. Will that be loud enough for un miked gigs?
Quote by Guitarislife125
You don't need a half stack. A tube combo should suffice.

second that, some of those fender tube amps are WOW loud
You'd think so, but my rented JCM900 (single channel) was nearly not loud enough. I want control over how loud and over powering I can get.
Tube.
Combo.
NOW.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
The cheapest head and 4x12 is probably a Peavey Windsor stack.

But yea, a 40w tube combo (maybe a 2x12) would work fine for anything but stadiums.
The Epi won't be loud enough for anything other than an intimate coffee house. It can get over drums if the drummer isn't a hard hitter. Great tone though, its a shame you won't mic. The cheapest half stack I can think of that can give good tone and be loud enough is the Peavey Windsor.
I am leaving out solid state amps on purpose.
Yes, any all-tube combo amp will do you well. There are no good sounding, cheap half-stacks compared to a classic all-tube. Maybe try a Fender, they get DAMN loud. Hot Rod, Blues Junior, or anything like that. Go try a few out. A 40W would be MORE then enough.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by uldhppi
The Epi won't be loud enough for anything other than an intimate coffee house. It can get over drums if the drummer isn't a hard hitter. Great tone though, its a shame you won't mic. The cheapest half stack I can think of that can give good tone and be loud enough is the Peavey Windsor.
I am leaving out solid state amps on purpose.

Yeah, whether or not solid state amps are bad or not, they aren't nearly as loud as a tube amp can be. A 15 watt fender blues junior can be ridiculously loud, I use one for jazz band, blues, and funk groups, and i can gig pretty well with it.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
if you really feel the need to stack something, a lot tube amps can be lined out to a cab.

so you can always add a cab later. *shrug*

and +2. if you cant get enough volume from a jcm, then you wont from an epi 5W.

also. it's possible it's low volume has nothing to do with the fact that it's a combo. it might be lame because it's a used, abused rental amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
So Can the 15 watt tube fenders comepete with a punk/alt band?
ALSO WHo putting a cab into my Peavy 110 envoy's headphone jack be good? My Neighbor did this into a Marhsall cab, and it wasn't that bad.
Last edited by RentACar at Oct 17, 2007,
^If you pick out the right one, I don't see why it couldn't. Although it depends on how big the gigs are. I bet most Fender amps could hit almost any tone with the right care and pedals. I hear they love pedals.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
i can hear my blues jr over a drummer and bass. nothing too heavy.

if you need more headroom go with a used fender amp.

and no you cant line out to a cab from a headphone out, just a speaker extention out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well if you need a stack you could get a peavey windsor head (400$) and a cab (around 200$) so for 600 you would have your self a nice tube stack...it sounds like a hot rodded jcm 800 imo ..and its my next amp.
"what's the cheapest..." isn't exactly the greatest way to go about buying anything, ESPECIALLY an instrument.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight