Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a new amp and am leaning heavily towards the Vox Valvetronix AD100VT. I had the chance to play one yesterday and it seemed to be pretty much perfect for both my needs and price range.

However, before I spend my money I'd really like opinions on wether anything else may be better, or perhaps worth saving up more for, etc.

I'm going to be using this amp in a band, playing hard rock/alternative sort of music. I'd like a good clean as well as being able to get around about as heavy as bands such as the Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, etc. I don't want to do metal chugga-chugga-whee sort of stuff, I'd probably like my palm mutes to be more full and thick without being earth-shakingly dominating if you get my idea.

Currently I'm really stretching for money to afford this, so I'm reluctant to spend any more than the Vox costs, although if something is absolutely 100% better for only a bit more I guess it's worth it. I'm in Australia, and lots of stuff can be really difficult to find online even, let alone being able to play before buying. Another reason the valvetronix I saw in store the other day has kept my eye.

I've thought about a few other amps that might work, although after looking through all the music stores anywhere near my area I haven't found any to try out, here's some other ideas I had:

A Peavey Valveking 112 (212?), haven't been able to find any online for sale, although I've heard they're pretty good. Would I need a cab as well? That makes things more expensive...

Randall tube combos? These seem to be geared towards metal more than I'd like.

Classic 30? I get the impression this might be a lighter sound than I want (I'm being a tad picky based purely on vague impressions.)

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40W 1x12? I know I can actually get this one for $1400, so if it's light years better than the vox you might be able to convince me to wait longer.

B-52's?

The Valvetronix's effects and modelling seems like a very fun amp to play, will it cut through drums well? I dream of being able to hear every note I play cleanly while drums are raging, will the US high gain for instance cut through with a crunchy clear distortion or produce god awful indistinguisable buzzing? Will it get to the point very fast where I can hear what it lacks and desperately need a better amp? I've owned a ****ing MG for 2 years, and I don't want to end up in the same position hating it. After reading about the MG's though, it seems a decent amp will be unable to possibly disappoint me.

I don't think I'll bother using my MT-2 at all anymore, although my Big Muff Pi I'd like to use here and there sometimes, would this work on the Vox?

Oh yeah, I'm playing an American Strat.

Thanks for the advice.
Quote by Submerged
A Peavey Valveking 112 (212?), haven't been able to find any online for sale, although I've heard they're pretty good. Would I need a cab as well? That makes things more expensive...

Randall tube combos? These seem to be geared towards metal more than I'd like.

Classic 30? I get the impression this might be a lighter sound than I want (I'm being a tad picky based purely on vague impressions.)

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40W 1x12? I know I can actually get this one for $1400, so if it's light years better than the vox you might be able to convince me to wait longer.
Well, you've nearly answered your own question there! The VOX is a very capable amp for its price, but is deifinitely lightyears behind any valve amp. There's no point paying for it only to replace it a year later! I'd suggest you save up the extra cash and get yourself a tube combo. I guess over there it's a case of taking whatever's available, but from the amps you listed it's obvious you've already got a fair idea what to look for.
The Hot Rod and ValveKing are good all-rounders, though you're still best scouring ebay and the classifieds for 30-50W valve combos in your price range. With amps, 9 out of 10 times it's better to buy used!

^^I just noticed that you said you want to do hard rock/alternative music. If you can stretch to that $1400 limit you said, you might just be in used Mesa/Boogie territory....
Last edited by kyle62 at Oct 17, 2007,
i'd go for an all-tube if you're planning on using a distortion pedal with it
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
I'm intending to use the amp for at least three to several years if I get it, as I won't be buying any more amps until after I've finished my degree.

Pretty much, as long as I don't have a burning desire to throw the Vox off a truck because I find it has inferior sound I'll be pretty happy. Remember it's being comparing to an MG, if I can hear myself clearly without wanting to claw my eyes out it'll be a very special moment.

It's tempting to save the extra $550 for the Hot Rod, but is it that much better? I'm talking blow it out of the water and to hell better? Because the extra cash will be reeeallly hard to come by, and if the Vox doesn't have any glaringly bad flaws I'll probably never know as I'm not going to be comparing it side by side with tubes every time I play it.

I suspect I'll probably get a really top of the range tube stack once I have more money in the distant future, so even if I got the hot rod it would probably be replaced regardless, which is also turning me off.

Really what I want to know is how all three compare, is it something like:

MG<<<VOX<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<HOT ROD

or more

MG<<<<<<<<<<<<<VOX<<<<<<HOT ROD

If the hot rod is better but not in a completey different ballpark I'll probably go the cheaper option
the hot rod deluxe is a great amp, but definitely won't get you hard rock and definitely is not worth $1400. it has great cleans and a good od channel, but that channel won't get you any more than classic rock and blues. the more drive channel leaves much to be desired. i'd also advise against the valveking...it really isn't anything special, at all. i don't know what is available in australia, but, out of the amps you listed, definitely try the peavey classic 30 (or 50) and the b-52 at series. i don't have much experience with the classic, but it's got a good reputation. and the b-52 sounds very good for the (american) price, good cleans and crunch and semi-high-ish-but-not-really gain.
kyle62: I'd say it's more like MG<<VOX<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<HOT ROD

Aw.....****. Everyone agree with this?

I might have a look around for some B-52's to check out, haven't found anything about them at all thus far though.
vox tonelab LE (or pod xt live) and Atomic reactor tube amp (designed to be used with desktop/floorboard modellers) ... the users of this combination on HC and TGP rave how good it is.
Now that sounds pretty interesting, although atm I can't find any mention of the atomic amp for sale anywhere, so it doesn't seem I can get one over here. Plus after buying the Tonelab I probably won't have a huge amount left over for the actual amp... I might have to look into this though, it looks like a very fun setup and might be worth saving more for.

Would any other amps be good for a tonelab that are fairly affordable? I'm reluctant if they're not specifically designed for it like the atomic is, I could see it being great in theory but falling short in practice through a normal amp.

I guess I could get the tonelab and try running it through the MG speakers temporarily if I can't afford a tube amp to power it for a while, but would that sound bad enough to be useless even as a momentary setup?

Man amp shopping is frustrating! I'm going to play around a bit more with a few amps on Monday, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
classic 30 FTW! perfect for that alternative tone with an od/clean boost you can get hard rock easily. its not far off without it, just needs a bit of tightening up
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Another option is tonelab/xt live and a good keyboard amp although you'd be looking at a SS amp but 40w ones start around $240 for a peavey or roland.
Quote by Submerged
Now that sounds pretty interesting, although atm I can't find any mention of the atomic amp for sale anywhere, so it doesn't seem I can get one over here. Plus after buying the Tonelab I probably won't have a huge amount left over for the actual amp... I might have to look into this though, it looks like a very fun setup and might be worth saving more for.

Would any other amps be good for a tonelab that are fairly affordable? I'm reluctant if they're not specifically designed for it like the atomic is, I could see it being great in theory but falling short in practice through a normal amp.

I guess I could get the tonelab and try running it through the MG speakers temporarily if I can't afford a tube amp to power it for a while, but would that sound bad enough to be useless even as a momentary setup?

Man amp shopping is frustrating! I'm going to play around a bit more with a few amps on Monday, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

i know a guy selling an atomic reactor 112 18 watt....he had two...i bought one...let me know if your interested,,,,and btw...they are as good as everyone says...running mine with the pod x3
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Thanks for the offer Audi, I'll def think about it.

How much is he selling for and from where?

How loud does that 18 get?