I was wondering which one is the best in general and are their strenght/weakness
in general, seymour duncan gets my vote. single coil sized pickups from both aren't the best. humbuckers, seymour duncans make really fat sounding models, as well as really sharp, bassy, metal oriented pickups too. but they still sell livewire and invaders...

EMGs are okay when you need the extra volume to push your amp, but most of the time a bit too much. they can get too trebly/hi-fi, although you can get the spc control (mid boost) to control that. they are better to run through long cables for their low impedance output compared to seymour duncans with high impedance output.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by gab4554
I was wondering which one is the best in general and are their strenght/weakness

EMG
Pros - less letters, easier to spell
Cons - could be mistakenly pronounced "Emg"

Seymour Duncan
Pros - less likely to be mistaken for a financial conglomerate or insurance company.
Cons - sounds like the name of that fat kid at school that nobody liked, you know, the one who smelled of yoghurt.

EMG and Seymour Duncan are both brand names who make a wide range of different products, you simply can't address a blanket statement like the one you made. Some models compare very closely between the two companies, some are like chalk and cheese...do you have any specific models in mind?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
haha yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
EMG

Seymour Duncan
Pros - less likely to be mistaken for a financial conglomerate or insurance company.
Cons - sounds like the name of that fat kid at school that nobody liked, you know, the one who smelled of yoghurt.

EMG and Seymour Duncan are both brand names who make a wide range of different products, you simply can't address a blanket statement like the one you made. Some models compare very closely between the two companies, some are like chalk and cheese...do you have any specific models in mind?[/QUOTE

Ew My God. Nice, Mark!
I TOLD you that you should get paid for this!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by steven seagull
EMG

Seymour Duncan

EMG and Seymour Duncan are both brand names who make a wide range of different products, you simply can't address a blanket statement like the one you made. Some models compare very closely between the two companies, some are like chalk and cheese...do you have any specific models in mind?

haha

Someone get this man a beer
They both make good pickups, however it also depends on what type, the Active Pickups are fairly close, but far as a battery size etc, EMG seems to get my vote, not that Seymour Duncans are bad, but very nice, but just not my cup of tea, they have bearly any difference in sound, only thing a good Seymour Duncan Active pickup is 18V vrs a 9V EMG

now for passive, I'd say Seymour Duncan wins, but EMG's also make pretty good ones

I think your amp has more to worry about than a paticular pickup, but I can say Active pickups can sound really neat on a small tube combo, but I would reccomend having a different guitar with mellow pickups to play cleaner stuff

but then again I'm a guitar pickup bulley
Last edited by hardcoredarrell at Oct 18, 2007,