Page 1 of 5
**Sorry for long read, but please do read and help if you can

Okay, a while back a couple buddies of mine that i have known throughout school (one plays drums, one plays guitar) asked me to come play lead guitar in a band they were starting. I am mainly influenced by punk music as is the drummer and our new bass player. The other guitarist/singer is mainly influenced by classic rock stuff. We have told him countless times over that for punk u have to have a low guitar, a big attitude and u gotta ROCK OUT. His hair makes him look like a beatle, and he sings like Geddy Lee from rush. He just doesnt do any of that he plays his guitar at his chest, and stand still whenever we jam while the rest of us do our best to move around in the space we have. We were suppose to peform in the school talent show this year, that usually takes place around spring time.

Now, all of us in this band, we're pretty tight and have been since we were in like kindergarten. We wanted to replace him, but we couldnt, we didn't want to wreck a friendship. So recently, we started a punk band on the side, with all the same members except a new guitarist. We planned on keeping this band in secret until late winter, as we slowly would break away from the other band with excuses and use this side band as our "new band" after our original broke up. This plan was working perfectly until today. The talent show is in two weeks.

We need a way to either make the guitarist want to quit, or to kick him out, but we gotta do something, fast, without wrecking our friendship. Any and all suggestions are welcome, just please nothing stupid or irrelevant we really need help.
Quote by lobster624
"are you an angel because i have an erection."
Who cares how high his guitar is? That doesn't mean anything. You want to throw him out basically because of his looks?
Tell him that you really value his friendship, but you guys want to be a punk band, and his style really does not relate with punk, and it's not his fault. Furthermore, you should let him jam with you guys whenever.

Quote by DSMuzichuck
Who cares how high his guitar is? That doesn't mean anything. You want to throw him out basically because of his looks?

He has a point there too. It's not really fair to abandon your friend because he dresses differently and plays his guitar higher up.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
No, you don't understand. His attitude is the main thing. The reason he looks like this, is because of his bad attitude. He wants us to sound like the Clash or some other classic punk band, and thats not what we're going for.

Thanks for the help, dick.

EDIT: That was for the guy who made the first post.

As for the guy with the second, thanks we were thinking of doing something like that.
Quote by lobster624
dude, music isnt about image, its about entertainment, and ummm...........THE MUSIC!!!!!!!
wow. this is quite an immature problem.

isn't punk about doing something different? why can't you be a punk band with geddy lee as a vocalist?
Quote by martyr1130
dude, music isnt about image, its about entertainment, and ummm...........THE MUSIC!!!!!!!

And you cannot entertain a punk crowd with ur guitar up to ur head and standing still on the stage.
Quote by lobster624
Well you clearly didn't state his attitude... All I read was "for punk u have to have a low guitar, a big attitude and u gotta ROCK OUT."
who the hell are you calling a dick!?!?! u asked us UGer's for advice, and u got it, so what are u complaining about? I hate people like you, go sit in a corner!
having your guitar low can be bad for your wrist.

edit: just let him be himself. hes the only person in your band i think i wouldn't hate, he should quit and find a better band.

you suck!

edit: the "you suck!" wasn't necessarily about talent; its about your attitude.
sup?
Last edited by ldl67 at Oct 17, 2007,
Quote by DSMuzichuck
Well you clearly didn't state his attitude... All I read was "for punk u have to have a low guitar, a big attitude and u gotta ROCK OUT."

Sorry. Sorry if my post wasnt informative enough for you. I really am. But I'm not looking for people telling me that our choice is immature. Yes. In punk music, image does matter, and how you present yourself as a band and entertainers. It's all about stage presence.

Now thanks for reinforcing the fact that we're dicks, we know that its not new (joking). We asked for ways to help us explain to him that we can't have him or make him want to quit. So far there's only been one person to understand our problem and he helped. Thanks to him.
Quote by lobster624
Enter the new band in the talent show? Enter both bands in the talent show? create some classic-rock influenced punk because it might actually turn out neat. If he doesn't have the "attitude" it really won't lose you anything... as long as the song is good.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
your not very punk for having to look like all the other mainstream punk bands on MTV with their guitars slung low and crazy hairstyles.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by funkbass369 at Oct 17, 2007,
Quote by martyr1130
who the hell are you calling a dick!?!?! u asked us UGer's for advice, and u got it, so what are u complaining about? I hate people like you, go sit in a corner!

I'm calling you and all the other ignorant guys dicks. I'm not saying I'm not, but you infact are. I asked for advice and you didn't give me it, you basically told me nicely that I'm a retard for asking the question.
Quote by lobster624
Quote by funkbass369
your not very punk for having to look like all the other mainstream punk bands on MTV with their guitars slung low and crazy hairstyles.

We are very un-mainstream (if thats a word) none of us listen to bands on MTV, nor do we play like that. The way you just described mainstream punk bands is the exact same as all the good underground punk bands.
Quote by lobster624
Quote by martyr1130

seriously you douche bag, quit acting like such an asshole and go sit in a corner, you want advice and you bitch
Quote by Mudmen190
...And what exactly is wrong with Geddy Lee???

Absolutely nothing. In fact, I personally believe he is the king of bass. I would love to play with someone like that. But just jam. Not play in a punk band with.
Quote by lobster624
oh my god, "image does matter in punk" you are a queer. That is why punk sucks, (not all of it, but in general) u put image infront of the music. You just dont get it.....
Quote by Bushinarin
Enter the new band in the talent show? Enter both bands in the talent show? create some classic-rock influenced punk because it might actually turn out neat. If he doesn't have the "attitude" it really won't lose you anything... as long as the song is good.

We can only enter one band into our talent show. THat's my fault, I forgot to explain that that's part of the problem.
Quote by lobster624
Quote by -Atticus-
We are very un-mainstream (if thats a word) none of us listen to bands on MTV, nor do we play like that. The way you just described mainstream punk bands is the exact same as all the good underground punk bands.

blink 182 isn't mainstream?
sup?
TS, you sound like a dick. Music is about the music, not how low your guitar is.

If you kick out this guy, I hope your band crashes and burns, and I hope your friend suceeds in music.

And dont call people dicks because they gave you their honest opinion. You asked for peoples opinions, and you got them. Just because its not what you wanted to hear doesnt mean they are a dick. You sound like a skinny 14 year old who tries too hard to be punk and have a hard-ass attitude, but fails miserably.

In fact, its not just you who is failing here, its the whole thread. In conclusion, please (I have never said this until right now) GTFO
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by martyr1130
oh my god, "image does matter in punk" you are a queer. That is why punk sucks, (not all of it, but in general) u put image infront of the music. You just dont get it.....

No I don't think you get it. His attitude is to look like a guy, standing still with proper EVERYTHING to make sure no mistakes are made. Punk music is about putting on a show, jumping around swinging the guitar, and taking risks doing all that and making mistakes. I want you to go find me a good punk band that does this. Their guitars at their chests and stand still the ENTIRE time.

Go do it right now if you're so smart.
Quote by lobster624
I thought punk was all about bad attitude. Correct me if I'm wrong.. I'm not trying to be a dick.. I mean is this guy putting effort in some form of creativity in the band? If not, just tell him it's not working out anymore.
Quote by zippidyduda
TS, you sound like a dick. Music is about the music, not how low your guitar is.

If you kick out this guy, I hope your band crashes and burns, and I hope your friend suceeds in music.

And dont call people dicks because they gave you their honest opinion. You asked for peoples opinions, and you got them. Just because its not what you wanted to hear doesnt mean they are a dick. You sound like a skinny 14 year old who tries too hard to be punk and have a hard-ass attitude, but fails miserably.

In fact, its not just you who is failing here, its the whole thread. In conclusion, please (I have never said this until right now) GTFO

Thanks, I already stated, WE KNOW WE'RE DICKS FOR MAKING THIS DECISION BUT ITS THE DECISION WE MADE. I didn't ask for your opinions, I asked for advice on how to solve our problem, thanks. And btw. I'm not a skinny 14 year old. I'm a fat 15 year old, thank you very much And I agree with you, I wish him all the best in music I hope he does great, but he's slowing us down with where WE want to go.
Quote by lobster624
Quote by -Atticus-
No I don't think you get it. His attitude is to look like a guy, standing still with proper EVERYTHING to make sure no mistakes are made. Punk music is about putting on a show, jumping around swinging the guitar, and taking risks doing all that and making mistakes. I want you to go find me a good punk band that does this. Their guitars at their chests and stand still the ENTIRE time.

Go do it right now if you're so smart.

You know what, f*** off asshole. This IS why punk sucks because image is put before music. If your willing to sacrifice your friend for your band, than you truly are an asshole AND a complete dumbass. The odds of you making it in the music business are EXTREMELY slim, your band will most likely go nowhere, and you'll be without a friend you've had since kindergarten.
Last edited by dirtydeeds123 at Oct 17, 2007,
Quote by DSMuzichuck
I thought punk was all about bad attitude. Correct me if I'm wrong.. I'm not trying to be a dick.. I mean is this guy putting effort in some form of creativity in the band? If not, just tell him it's not working out anymore.

Thanks man. It's people like you that made me make this thread in the first place.
Quote by lobster624
i cant find a good punk band that does this, because.....OMG....THERE ARE NO GOOD PUNK BANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now do u get it!!!! and yes, i still say your a dick b-cuz u are putting image infront of the music. Now stfu and be a real musician, not some excuse for one who thinks your supposed to make mistakes
Quote by -Atticus-

alot of good punk bands don't look like that. did that stop them from making music? no. image does not matter. if you rely on image you will end up just like green day or fall out boy. no offense to any fans of these bands. acting like all the other punk bands is also selling out in a way, just to fit in with other punk bands.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
i'll put it this way. If i were in your band, i would gladly quit. If he's a solid guitarist/singer, then what the problem?
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Quote by -Atticus-
Thanks man. It's people like you that made me make this thread in the first place.

and i hope people likee you get hit by a bus.
sup?
Quote by martyr1130
i cant find a good punk band that does this, because.....OMG....THERE ARE NO GOOD PUNK BANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now do u get it!!!! and yes, i still say your a dick b-cuz u are putting image infront of the music. Now stfu and be a real musician, not some excuse for one who thinks your supposed to make mistakes

Wow you think that you're such a musical genius. Music is about opinion, and if u came in here already disowning punk as a good genre, then u really shouldn't have replied in the first place.

thanks for the help, NOT. im gonna take ur advice and use all of it cuz it helped soo much. NOT. and i think that almost all of the people that commented so far, are all classic rock fans or the "Billy Talent" wannabe groupie kids so u guys can go "sit in a corner"
Quote by lobster624
Quote by -Atticus-
Thanks, I already stated, WE KNOW WE'RE DICKS FOR MAKING THIS DECISION BUT ITS THE DECISION WE MADE. I didn't ask for your opinions, I asked for advice on how to solve our problem, thanks. And btw. I'm not a skinny 14 year old. I'm a fat 15 year old, thank you very much And I agree with you, I wish him all the best in music I hope he does great, but he's slowing us down with where WE want to go.

You see, you sound much more mature and friendly in that post. Now I actually do want to help you. See what happens when you are nice?

Well, if you are so concerned with image, just tell him that you dont feel that he really fits the genre your going for?

But Ill tell you right now, if he is the primary songwriter, DONT use his material, and if you do, get his permission. If you just kick him out and use his songs, that really would make you the king of all assholes.

Hope that post was slightly more helpful
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by -Atticus-

rrrrrrright
Quote by BottleOfSmoke
i'll put it this way. If i were in your band, i would gladly quit. If he's a solid guitarist/singer, then what the problem?

The problem is he's not. He thinks he is.
Quote by lobster624
I think I know why he thinks image matters over music... his music is no good. :P

but to your question just accept him in it if hes good and if you cant deal with it and you think more about your image than your supposed to be so ''important'' friendship then your not that great of a friend then are you.
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Quote by ldl67
blink 182 isn't mainstream?

I made this account 2 years ago, I haven't listened to them since then.
Quote by lobster624
Quote by zippidyduda

you're a dick, way to attack several people that agree with you.

Anyways TS since you can't enter more than one band I'd say just let him play with you. Even if you're band doesn't win because of him... you owe it to him as a friend, besides you'll have more fun playing with him, then playing without him while he glares at you all pissed off like in the audience.

Like I said earlier though compromise, bring all your influences together and build on them as a whole. Image really, sincerely doesn't matter. Any punk fellow will respect you for putting your message out there.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
im glad the pit generally didn't take the side of the TS.

you should kick him out, and jump around, pretend to have a bad attitude, wear your guitar low, and fail at life.
sup?
lol ur an absolute idiot dude, Im a metal head to the fullest extent, and i don't mean Hair metal. I mean Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Sabbath, bands that are the complete opposites of what u wanna be. So you call us wanna be's? We make the music we want, and let fans come to us. We dont pretend to be what everyone wants us to be, which is exactly what you are trying to do, and u know that is a fact. Now go ahead, retaliate weakling.............................I'm waiting
Page 1 of 5