Man I have the hardest time doing solos and I'm mind blown that some people can do it.I just want to ask how do you remember these solos and how can you play them argh they are so hard,I have big hands for a women is that a good thing or bad for guitar playing?How long does it take to do like a hanger 18 solo if you were playing guitar for 8 months ?like 2 year 1?

Does anyone else have this problem?
hangar 18 solo's??

well...i've been playing almost 2 years and hangar 18's solo's own me, like, at my best i can play most of randy rhoad's solo's...if i work at them

just work, you'll eventually get it
i suck at solos, i practice rythym way too much, but its made me much more solid in that area.
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
I had that problem for forever. I had a friend in a local metal band who would come over and shred and make me feel like ****. After that I basically just started to learn songs with solos that I could not do. I practiced them until I could then repeated until I can now just improvise them. It took me a year or two to be able to solo proficiently(sp?).
^ +1 to thatoneday
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
Hangar 18 might be kind of advanced for someone only playing eight months.

Give it time, learn some easier stuff first, and work your way up to it. You can't rush into anything, whether it's theory, shredding, sweep picking, whatever it is you need to take it slow first; you've got to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run. That and good ol' fashioned memorization.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
I've been playing 2 years and i can play all the Hangar 18 solos if that helps. You have to know the scales and all that theory stuff first because then the solos sequences and patterns are more merorable. In Hangar 18 they use a lot of Diminished arpeggios and exetra.
Wrong fucking forum... again

If you didn't do this every day it'd be nice
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
Hangar 18.. loooonnngg ass time.. probably 7-10 years to play it and be comfortable soloing at that speed, and for that long.. whew.. anyways, i started with the pentatonics and learning all the boxes cause you really kinda learn the whole fretboard like that (and it looks pretty cool playing solos horizontally n stuff)

Yeah, just start by getting confident with your pentatonics, and stick with it, even if you hate what you sound like now, you have a ton of time to learn.
i dunno bout the hands but i suck at solos too i can only improvise but it takes me alot to do solos

how do u do a sig?lol i know its off-topic but still i just cant figure it out
Quote by Van_Joelio
blah blah... you have a ton of time to learn.

Exactly unless you get in a fatal car accident or something. Just be patient, in ten years you'll look back and be like "that solo was piss easy what was I thinking"
just practice it man. Not much more that you could do besides that. What I do is just practice one solo over and over and over and over and over again for atleast a week. Then i can play it without even thinking.

Try to forget about the "tab" of the solo. Just feel the melody and let your fingers take over. I think it's the ONLY way to successfully play a quality solo... but that's just me...
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
Originally posted by: Tedric

Wrong ****ing forum... again

If you didn't do this every day it'd be nice

got a dildo up youre ass honey?
Quote by rock_metal_fan
i dunno bout the hands but i suck at solos too i can only improvise but it takes me alot to do solos

how do u do a sig?lol i know its off-topic but still i just cant figure it out

Control Panel (it's right above the first post in a thread), then edit signature on the left hand side.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
first of all, u spend ur first couple of years having fun. play songs you ilke that are easy. like if u like rlly fast songs, but can't play the solos, just get the rhythm down. i can play almost all of metallica's songs minus the solos. pick ur favourite sons and just get the hang of playing the easy stuff. the point is to be one with your guitar. once you get used to playing and stuff ur hands won't hurt as much when u do more technical stuff. in between ur first few years of playing around be sure to practice a lot of scales, and common exercises. when u read articles or lessons on ug, pay specific attention to the exercises and practice them occasionally. as you get more serious in your guitar playing, practice those exercises more often using a metronome as many suggest. i'm not that far yet so I don't know what's next but just keep practicing, it's like typing. I can type like a mother****er right now, but i've been typing for years. I just practiced typing small words on Windows 95 for fun, and now 'm typing posts on Ug so fast that when i read them over again, they sound so stupid, but i don't even think, cuz i just do it. that's how soloing will feel like I think.
Basically it just takes some time, look at a solo and try to play the notes at a slow speed, if you can make it through the song just break it into parts and commit them to memory by either learning a few bars and then closing your eyes and playing them or just practicing that one part until you can play it without looking at it. If the solo's too difficult then go learn other things and come back to it in a couple months then you might be able to grasp it better.

Good luck though.
My Rig:
Ibanez RVX 220DX
Vox Valvetronix 30watt
I don't play solos, really. It's not that I don't like them, I just don't incorporate them. The style of music I play doesn't require them, so I don't bother.

I play lead lines, and stuff like that, but big, flashy solos, per se.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
usually the reason i will learn a solo is cause i really like the song, and in that case i can remember the solo just as well as the rest of the song so its not hard
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Just play th peice you want ALOT slower than normal and do it on clean until you get good at it. Then just start steadily picking up speed.IMO I think its better to learn solos and get them down when its on clean, then add distortion.
8 months? cmon, dont set the bar too high. If you wanna focus on soloing, now i mean really focus, then start learning some basic solos RIGHT NOW... now theres not going to be alot you can just pick up and play, but ide recommend some AC(lightning bolt)DC :P its pretty good sounding stuff, and you'll learn the pentatonic boxes AND its not too difficult. now there will naturally be licks in there that you cant play, but, its a better goal that hanger 18. and use a metronome...start off slow and work ur way up.

***** i would seriously recommend ANY kris dale video lessons.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Kristofer+Dahl/contributions/
Last edited by chris_libby_88 at Oct 17, 2007,
I agree with alot of people that the Hangar 18 solos might be a lil rough at ur experience, but if ur dead set on it i say go for it, now as far as memorising solos, wut i usually do is first look at the solo pattern and shapes and then i see wut primary scale the guitarist is using then i also identify the key of the solo just in case i am playing the solo and forget a lil part i can improvise until i remember the rest. but above all practice practice practice. good luck and have fun with it
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
Quote by Chad11491
hangar 18 solo's??

well...i've been playing almost 2 years and hangar 18's solo's own me, like, at my best i can play most of randy rhoad's solo's...if i work at them

Nice Ibanez

me personally, if i get a tab for a solo, give me like 3-5hours of consistent practicing it (just solely for memorization purposes [solos for playing along with are ez pz ])
I never tried to learn any solos from songs. After I got into scales, I would practice them by just grabbing 3 random notes on the fretboard, and trying to be able to play the rest of the scale they came from. Eventually, this blind scale fumbling led to me inadvertantly start creating solos on my own. By accident.
i just go up to the stage, take a deep breath, and start with a sustained bent note with vibrato, and then start my solo. play with the feel.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Chad11491
hangar 18 solo's??

Megadeth for the ****ing win!

HANGAR 18!!

zomg 11 guitar solos!!

mustaine for president
start with a EASY solo
not bloody hanger 18
after that, slowly progress
may i suggest paranoid by black sabbath?
learn scales
etc