I was thinking of getting a looping pedal to give me that extra creative outlet, but the price has always put me off.

I found out that the Line6 DL4 delay (the big green mofo) not only has great delay features, but has a looping section!

However, the DL4 only has about 15 secs of recording time as oppose to the BOSS RC-20XL's 17 or so mins.

I'm not looking to do HUGE epic layered songs (a la Manring) or anything, but the idea is the same. 14 seconds seems like it should be decent for shorter loops, plus it's a delay pedal which I've been looking for anyway.

They're both around the same price.

Which is a better deal?
There's a Digitech pedal that has a flash memory card that allows something like 6.5 hours of recorded time. Just get it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Personally I'd go with the BOSS, because I'm not too interested in loops...just set up the pedals to work with it before it, and the ones not to behind it. But yeah, I vote for the BOSS.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
boss
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
It depends what you want. If you want a delay with a short amount of looping (15 seconds) then you're basically looking at the Boss Gigi-delay or the Line6. If you want a real looper you could look at the Digitech Jamman (the one fitz is talking about) with 6.5 hours of recording time. It's a little useless truth be told and the price seems a little steep considering that the Boss RC20XL is virtually the same with equal features but only 25 minutes of recording time (only ) A cheaper version of the 20XL is the RC-2. The difference being that the 20XL has an easier interface to use, but the RC-2 has a huge price advantage. The king of the looping world is the Boss RC-50. It has every loop you add on a separate pedal for toggling, and every feature imaginable in a loop station.
^You really think the ability to save basically every loop EVER doesn't have you drooling?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yes I really think that doesn't have me drooling. Do I think that YOU'RE drooling over the ability to do so? Yes I do. Why? Because you're an obsessive FREAKA!

Yep, sure. But the fact that DigiTech has that pedal in their lineup but NOT the Bass Whammy just goes to show that there must be a lot of obsessive FREAKAZ out there!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Yep, sure. But the fact that DigiTech has that pedal in their lineup but NOT the Bass Whammy just goes to show that there must be a lot of obsessive FREAKAZ out there!

But really, is there honestly any use for SIX AND A HALF HOURS! of memory? You could save 6 one hour loops. Or 13 half hour loops. Or 26 15 minute loops. Or 52 7 1/2 minute loops. Or 104 3.75 minute loops. THAT'S UNNECESSARY! Anyway, yeah Whammy, why don u jus liek use liek a guit pedal?
^As a songwriter and composer, the ability to record riffs and song ideas to play for people and bandmembers is unbelievable. It's better than my cell phone, anyway. And the pedal has a MAXIMUM time of 6.5 hours if you expand the memory card.

But imagine, writing a song demo on the spot and being able to sing over it right at your fingertips. Bone chilling.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Why Do You Need A 6.5 Hour Loop?!?!?!?!?!

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics
Why Do You Need A 6.5 Hour Loop?!?!?!?!?!

Please read above post.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
So how long is the loop when you first buy it (without the upgrade)? I am seriously considering this beast.
Quote by HeavyMetalHero
So how long is the loop when you first buy it (without the upgrade)? I am seriously considering this beast.

"Store over 24 minutes of looping time on the included CompactFlash card. Upgrade to a 2GB card to store up to 6.5 hours of audio!"

According to the website.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I disagree about the extra time not being useful. It's not just recording one loop, it's the ability to layer over the loops with overdubs. Record a drumbeat, dub a bassline over, dub a guitar over that, etc... Very very useful to have a lot of memory imo. I have a GNX4 that has a similiar function to the jamman, and I'm always emptying my 2GB card. You'd be surprised how fast you can fill them up if you aren't deleting all your previous projects.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^Totally. I play a 4 minute song that has 2 guitars, a solo, a singer, a bass player, and percussion. Thats 4 x 6 = 24 minutes of looping required. Whoops, that's the whole Boss pedal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Alright so can you get more cards and just swap em out? Or is it actually stored internally on the station?
the jamman can use up to 2GB cards, I think they just need to be compact flash I. You can use as many different cards as you want with it though, it's not a proprietary card.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Why Do Yo Need A 6.5 Hour Loop?!?!?!

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
olololololol I was hoping someone would make a thread about Looper Pedals!!!!!

Anyway I've been looking very hard at the Boss RC-2, mainly because its a smaller & somewhat cheaper version of the Heavy weight Loopers. Is it any good??

I mean I haven't ever tried a Looper out & I was really inspired by a Live Vid of the late, great Jaco doing some really cool stuff with one (even though his was clearly also had other functions/effects such as a Delay etc) & I'd like to have something to Jam along with
The RC-2 is a fine pedal, it just doesn't have as easy an interface of some of the other ones. Beyond that it's pretty good.
Quote by thefitz

^Totally. I play a 4 minute song that has 2 guitars, a solo, a singer, a bass player, and percussion. Thats 4 x 6 = 24 minutes of looping required. Whoops, that's the whole Boss pedal.

Except what was the purpose of doing the whole song on the jamman again? If you want to record your band why not just get an mbox or firepod? It'll come out to about even and you'll get fabulous technology.