i need a distortion pedal, but i'm not sure which one to get.
i play screamo/hardcore music, and i'd like a heavy but clean distortion not one that sounds like ass... any suggestions?
Hughes & Kettner Warp Factor. ive had it for 2 years and nothing has beat it yet.
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
Metal Muff, but if it's not heavy enough for you (and may god help you if it's not), try a Boss Metal Core or something stupid like that.
Haven't heard it myself, but it's all tubes (250V-biased, dual-12AX7s), and it gets dozens of glowing reviews at Harmony Central. Pick the Damage Control pedal of your choice: Womanizer, Solid Metal, Demonizer (same as Solid Metal, but with an added compressor and DI output). I'd put money on it that the Solid Metal sounds nearly as good as (or possibly even better) than my $500 Engl preamp (and that thing sounds AWESOME!).

Key words: IT HAS TUBES!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 18, 2007,
modded metalzones. nothing has come along to so much as make me think twice about knockin' em off my board. none of the DC stuff(did sound pretty killer, might re-buy in the future) nor the shiny diezel vh4 half-stack in the shop.
Isn't it funny? We go through all this trouble to get our "tone" by buying expensive tube amps, preamps, stompboxes, etc., and yet, we still can't let go of our favorite "metal" (insert your brand here) fuzzboxes. I've had my Line 6 Uber Metal all packed up, and ready to return to Guitar Center, ever since I got my Engl preamp. But, I just can't seem to do it! I just ran out to the car to go get it, so I could play with it some more, just to "make sure." I think I may end up keeping it!

Hmmm . . . now that I think about it, though, I might return the Uber Metal, just so I could use the refund to make buying a Damage Control Solid Metal pedal only cost me an additional $100 (which I certainly DO NOT need, now that I have the preamp). But, I'm just dying to hear one! I have this crazy fantasy, that if I plug the DC Solid Metal into the Engl, that I'll get this crazy-good sound from the bowels of hell or something. I know, I could just get a fuzzy mess, but, I'm dying to try that out!
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 18, 2007,
i was pretty set on getting a custom tooled diezel for about 2 years. got a keeley mod metalzone and had this dude take a wack at it with unbelievable results. got my vintage amp giving me those great cleans and doing a bit of work to make the mt-2s sound huge. saved myself 4 grand.
Don't waste money on a distortion pedal - buy a better amp. The one you've got sucks. Can't believe no-one's told him this already.

And the pedals with tubes, pretty much a scam. I believe Cooltron Vox pedals use them, and some EHX do as well. They do as good a job as any other pedal without tubes, but certainly not better. They seem a clever way to add £20 to the RRP of a pedal.
Homebrew electronice Full Metal Jacket. best distortion pedal money can buy. i guarentee most experienced gear junkies will agree that HBE is totally epic.
a very good pedal is a very good substitute for an amp with crappy distortion.
Quote by leeej

If we're talking OCD-type of 'good pedal' then yes. But it sounds like he doesn't have that kind of money, so no, a pedal will not be a substitute for a crappy amp.

You need a better amp, for crying out loud.
if he doesnt have money for a pedal he wont have money for a new amp.
and im pretty sure he hasnt mentioned what kind of amp he has. dont just assume that because his distortion is terrible his cleans, which contribute to the pedal, are terrible too.
what is his amp? i haven't seen him mention any..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by leeej
if he doesnt have money for a pedal he wont have money for a new amp.
and im pretty sure he hasnt mentioned what kind of amp he has. dont just assume that because his distortion is terrible his cleans, which contribute to the pedal, are terrible too.

^Check his profile.

A bass amp and a cheap Laney combo. If he wants to spend, for instance, £70, he can get a Roland Microcube, a decent enough amp, and he won't need a lowsy distortion pedal. He'll get more tones out of the microcube, and other features, too. So the amp is the wise man's choice.

Also, if he didn't have money for a pedal, why would he make this thread
ah there it is. yea.. i wouldn't bother getting a pedal just to put it in front of a practice amp.

are you gigging? jamming? or just practicing at home?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
i agree HBE are nice (haven't tried the FMJ, but the big d is badass), but in this case, if he can afford a pedal that expensive, he could also afford a better amp, like the microcube. then again the big d probably sounds better than the microcube (though i did try it through an ac30, so that's not exactly fair).

up to him of course. there's more than one way to skin a cat. apparently.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by leeej

No. There isn't a substitute for a crappy amp, besides maybe an acoustic guitar.

Quote by Dave_Mc
i agree HBE are nice (haven't tried the FMJ, but the big d is badass), but in this case, if he can afford a pedal that expensive, he could also afford a better amp, like the microcube. then again the big d probably sounds better than the microcube (though i did try it through an ac30, so that's not exactly fair).

up to him of course. there's more than one way to skin a cat. apparently.

Dave, you seem to like the Big D way too much to not own one. So own one.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Oct 18, 2007,
the other thing (much like getting new pickups when you'd be better advised to get a new amp) is that once you have the good pedal, you could use it through your future better amp.

But then I'm just in a devil's advocate mood tonight for some reason.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Don_Humpador
^Check his profile.

amp and a cheap Laney combo. If he wants to spend, for instance, £70, he can get a Roland Microcube, a decent enough amp, and he won't need a lowsy distortion pedal. He'll get more tones out of the microcube, and other features, too. So the amp is the wise man's choice.

Also, if he didn't have money for a pedal, why would he make this thread

i was saying if he didnt have money for a GOOD(also usually more expensive ) pedal. hes not looking for a ds-1 if hes asking for a good sounding distortion.

as for a distortion pedal replacing a good amp, its only if the amp has gtreat cleans (which is what i meant to say) and a crappy distortion IMO. i dont usually look at people's profiles to look at their gear, sorry.
I was going to say the samples I heard of the DC Demonizer were quite good, I love to try one out.
Quote by Don_Humpador
And the pedals with tubes, pretty much a scam. I believe Cooltron Vox pedals use them, and some EHX do as well. They do as good a job as any other pedal without tubes, but certainly not better. They seem a clever way to add £20 to the RRP of a pedal.

Have you had a chance to audition any of the Damage Control pedals? They all have dual-12AX7 tubes. The DC Demonizer, in particular, is like a preamp in a pedal form factor (you can also just buy the DC Solid Metal pedal, which is basically the same sound, for only $200 USD).

I have the pricier Engl E530 preamp ($510 USD). It also uses dual-12AX7 tubes. And it's the best-sounding thing I've ever heard. It sounds as good or better than my friend's JCM half-stack. My other friend has the older, pedal version of the Engl preamp (now discontinued), and swears by it. For metal, he recommends his Engl over his Rocktron Prophesy II, and his pile of other "metal" gear. He has a pile of Marshall preamps, power amps, Celestion-filled cabs, and a ton of other "real tube-amp" and "boutique" tube-metal gear too. And he still prasies the Engl over all that for metal.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 19, 2007,
Quote by LEVEL4
Have you had a chance to audition any of the Damage Control pedals? They all have dual-12AX7 tubes. The DC Demonizer, in particular, is like a preamp in a pedal form factor (you can also just buy the DC Solid Metal pedal, which is basically the same sound, for only $200 USD).

I have the pricier Engl E530 preamp ($510 USD). It also uses dual-12AX7 tubes. And it's the best-sounding thing I've ever heard. It sounds as good or better than my friend's JCM half-stack. My other friend has the older, pedal version of the Engl preamp (now discontinued), and swears by it. For metal, he recommends his Engl over his Rocktron Prophesy II, and his pile of other "metal" gear. He has a pile of Marshall preamps, power amps, Celestion-filled cabs, and a ton of other "real tube-amp" and "boutique" tube-metal gear too. And he still prasies the Engl over all that for metal.

I've only heard/seen clips of the DC pedals, so I've never tried one myself. However if the clips are anything to go by, $200 for the Demonizer seems awfully extortionate(sp?) when you consider that, although cliched, the Fulltone OCD retails for $159, and will sound twice as good on even a half decent tube amp.

However, the TS does not have a tube amp, and as you have a good preamp and a good amp head, I would be expecting you to push the amp idea further. As Hankey and I have already said, a distortion pedal is not a good substitute for a decent tube amp, and TS' best efforts would go to saving money for a proper amp.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Doesn't anyone listen >_>

He needs a new amp, not a flaming distortion pedal.

he probably can't afford a new amp, which is why he started a thread on distortion pedals. don't you listen?
Threads don't make noise. Unless the cat is big enough. But that's another kind of thread.
Right.

I just assumed he didn't have the money for new amp, much less, a GOOD new amp. So I thought a tube-based pedal or a tube-based preamp would still get him his sound, and he could amplify that sound with his crappy SS amp (just as you would mic a good-sounding amp, to be re-amplified through a PA). Then, at least, he would benefit from some good sound, plus gain the utility from his SS amp by using it as you would the PA (using its clean channel simply to make the already-preamped sound louder).

Warp Factor is unchallanged on my board as well. Next i'll try the Demonizer.