I have an american deluxe vneck strat
i think it sounds great but i have a few problems:
the in between positions sound very dull and "thuddy" and although there is sparkle it seems to be missing something
is this my amp?
it seems like the SCN pups are to blame
i am looking in to replacing them
i have been looking at the fender CS texas specials cuase they look really good but other than that im lost

so i want:
set of strat pups that can do blues up to heavier rock
i know this is hard to find so if i can only have one i want GREAT blues and rock tones
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
SCN pups are, from everything I've heard, quite freakin' sweet. Out of curiosity, what else is in your rig/signal path? I sence the problem might be elsewhere, and cheeper to fix.

(PS, if you decide to do the swap, pm me with how much you want for the removed SCN's)
www.rockmonkeyguitars.com

email or PM corduroyEW and see what he can do for you.
i got his pickups, and it's very pleasing. at least for blues>>classic rock gain.

but good clean pickups is the first step to good gain tone right?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ Not necessarily. My Strat pickups have beautiful cleans but are very low output, so the gain sound lacks pretty seriously.

SCNs won't have the sparkle of a traditional single coil because they're essentially humbuckers. Out of interest, what amp are you using?
Hi, I'm Peter
Are they "noiseless" Pups? I have a set of Noiseless pups and I had the same problem (until I stopped using that guitar because of it). Now, I'm getting pickups from CorduroyEW, I just need to get it all sorted out with him and I'll have them very shortly. I'll let you know how that turns out, K?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
stephen's design pickups are great, give em a look
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by CORT noob
Are they "noiseless" Pups? I have a set of Noiseless pups and I had the same problem (until I stopped using that guitar because of it). Now, I'm getting pickups from CorduroyEW, I just need to get it all sorted out with him and I'll have them very shortly. I'll let you know how that turns out, K?

yayz for people going from noiseless to corduroyEW pickups. im one of'em hahaha. it's doing great on my strat at least. 7.7k DC resistance, not too much, but certainly hotter than regular strat pickups. i like'em that way.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
yayz for people going from noiseless to corduroyEW pickups. im one of'em hahaha. it's doing great on my strat at least. 7.7k DC resistance, not too much, but certainly hotter than regular strat pickups. i like'em that way.

Yeah, I'm getting mine super low output to squeeze cleans out of my VJ. The VJ has pretty nice cleans, they just break up pretty early with my humbucked guitar.

Here's a description of what I want:

Quote by Myself
I want a really smooth neck tone, really really creamy. And, a middle pickup, that complements the bridge and neck pickup that is pretty crunchy. I want the bridge pickup to be bright, and very sterile sounding. Just like a straight natural guitar sound. Let the amp do the coloring. I want a lower output pickup, so I can squeeze more cleans out of My EPI VJ. My Epi VJ is surprisingly bright BTW, because I have a Fender speaker paired with it. I'll be using 250K pots and eventually an alder body.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

^did u put it in a closed back cab? cuz that would muddy up the speaker a lot. lol.
not muddy up but it will attenuate the treble and get more bass pumped.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^did u put it in a closed back cab? cuz that would muddy up the speaker a lot. lol.
not muddy up but it will attenuate the treble and get more bass pumped.

No, I haven't built the cab yet, I'm a lazy bum

But, soon! Hopefully. I don't have any (good)tools because my dad moved to Texas, and he's a carpenter. I'm stuck with my step-dads old tools. Left handed circular saws, drills with too high RPM's and non-hammering heads also makes it very hard to use screws.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

i seeeee... home depot or lowes?

they cut lumber into pieces for you if you tell them the dimension... i think.

but i dunno if they cut 12" circles in the middle.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i seeeee... home depot or lowes?

they cut lumber into pieces for you if you tell them the dimension... i think.

but i dunno if they cut 12" circles in the middle.

Really? The 12 inch circle will be kind of easy though. I was going to use that cardboard thing you sent the speaker in to trace it, and then try to use my Router to cut it out I'd probably have to go get more birch after ruining it. I'm going to try that precut thing, I didn't know they could do that...
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

^oh yea... the cardboard square with the hole? yea that should work. if you go to lowes, they say: "do it yourself. we can help."

so if they don't help you, you jsut go "what the **** fools! i thought u guys help!!! you're ****ing lying in ur god damn motto ****!!!"

then get the manager out, and make him do it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ok i have a carvin bel air which is a 50 watt 212 tube combo an mi audio crunch box and crybaby 95q wah
its just the pups seems to be missing some of the sparkle and quack of true singles
EDIT: as of now the texas specials look awesome for what i wan
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ Not necessarily. My Strat pickups have beautiful cleans but are very low output, so the gain sound lacks pretty seriously.

SCNs won't have the sparkle of a traditional single coil because they're essentially humbuckers. Out of interest, what amp are you using?

+1

scn's are pretty nice for noiseless pickups, i thought, but didn't have quite the sparkle of "true" single coils. But as dirk says, it could be something else at fault in your chain.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by libskate44
ok i have a carvin bel air which is a 50 watt 212 tube combo an mi audio crunch box and crybaby 95q wah
its just the pups seems to be missing some of the sparkle and quack of true singles
EDIT: as of now the texas specials look awesome for what i wan

try taking the pedals out of your chain, and see how things go then. get back to us with the results.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
www.sdpickups.com

custom wounded to your pleasure.
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Mesa lonestar [prolly trade my DR for it]
Xotic BB preamp