Ok, so I'm going to buy a laptop. The brand really doesn't matter as of now, but what I'm after is the minimum specs/ recommended specs. I know laptops are hard, if not impossible to upgrade, so I won't be a cheapskate with this one.

Anyway, I will be running AutoCAD 2008 on it, as well as Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0. I also have other 3D modelling programs and rendering programs that usually take a few hours to do their job.. so, what should I be looking for in terms of RAM and whatever?

Thanks
Quote by paintITblack39
I searched lesbian orgies and I got animals Sad day for me.
get a macbook pro, it has enough ram and a good graphics card. also macs kick ass.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
You will definitely need 2 gigs of ram, as AutoCAD, Matlab, or SolidWords will surely initialize a lot of temporary space to perform calculations.

Try looking for the fastest of the Intel dual-core line. It will make multiprocessing quicker when you are running two or more of those memory-intensive programs.

And look for a good sized L3 cache in your processor. That will definitely make it quicker.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
dual core processor...my mom runs Autocad 08...her computers are custom built for it...and it still takes a while for some stuff.
Quote by arowana1027
My wife plays my guitars fine, but my girlfriend has smaller hands, and she wants to learn how to play.
I forgot to say that Macs are pretty much incompatible with the stuff I'm going to do, since most everyone around here run Windows. Plus they're expensive (also the programs) Thanks though
Quote by paintITblack39
thanks, so far I got

Core 2 Duo
2 GB Ram
Windows XP (I'll be downgrading from Vista because of compatibility probs)
Quote by paintITblack39
ima kinda a graphics guy, not really 3d... but a mac running boot camp would work too, if you use xp.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
Quote by darkstar2466

And look for a good sized L3 cache in your processor. That will definitely make it quicker.

What's an L3 cache? Hehe..
Quote by paintITblack39
Thanks alot, I'm glad that people are still helpful around here It's been awhile since I posted
Quote by paintITblack39
Caches come in three levels.

Read this following blurb:

"(Level 3 cache) A memory bank built onto the motherboard or within the CPU module. The L3 cache feeds the L2 cache, and its memory is typically slower than the L2 memory, but faster than main memory. The L3 cache feeds the L2 cache, which feeds the L1 cache, which feeds the processor. "

Caches are the intermediary storage space between memory and the processor. A bigger L3 cache means you have quicker accesses to data and instructions.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
oh.. didn't know that. Thanks

I'm currently running 512MB RAM on my PC, which figures... lol
Quote by paintITblack39
Here's an overview of all the current Intel processors. If you really want to spend the money and get a damn good computer, get one of the high-end ones, maybe the Itanium, which doesn't follow the x86 line and doesn't offer legacy code.

http://www.intel.com/performance/

The Core 2 Extreme looks great.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie