So, I had my eyes on buying the Mark IV hearing so many great things about it and hearing awesome clips of it. So, when i go to the Mesa Boogie Hollywood dealer should I just just get the Mark IV or should I just go to the store and try the other amps out like the rectos and Roadsters? For some reason I have a gut feeling that the rectos wont give that the tight, chunky distortion that the Mark IV has but I maybe wrong. I'm only asking because I don't to waste the employees time by really now knowing what amp I want.
The employees are getting paid to deal with picky people who want their specific tone. Would you rather spend $2,000 and lust after other amps or spend $2,200 and be set for life?

Definatly try out at least one recto, a roadster/roadking, and Mark series. Each amp has their own territory in high gain amplification that they might appeal to you in.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i wouldn't wanna make it seem like the mark iv is the end-all-be-all amp for mesa, it's a fine amp, but it may not have enough recto aggressiveness that you may be looking for. and mesas have such crazy tweaking abilities, it takes quite a while to find something you wanna keep o_O
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
i wouldn't wanna make it seem like the mark iv is the end-all-be-all amp for mesa, it's a fine amp, but it may not have enough recto aggressiveness that you may be looking for. and mesas have such crazy tweaking abilities, it takes quite a while to find something you wanna keep o_O

Yeah, your right, but I play tons of genres of music so I've been looking at the Mark IV so, and I love those new pics of your Mark IV .
ha thanks. still trying to get "perfect" sounds, but overall it's very nice.

it's definitely worth trying out, but still have a gander at some others while you have the chance.

Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

yeah, they get paid to help you with your decision, it would be crazy not to try other amps while you have the opportunity. They even have to help people with no intention of buying, at least you are actually shopping for amps.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by UnsignedRecords
ha thanks. still trying to get "perfect" sounds, but overall it's very nice.

it's definitely worth trying out, but still have a gander at some others while you have the chance.

post clips dammit

I really want a Mark IV. Too bad I'm buying $1500 recording gear so it won't happen anytime soon
Quote by MESAexplorer
The employees are getting paid to deal with picky people who want their specific tone. Would you rather spend $2,000 and lust after other amps or spend $2,200 and be set for life?

Definatly try out at least one recto, a roadster/roadking, and Mark series. Each amp has their own territory in high gain amplification that they might appeal to you in.

He's absolutely right! You don't want to be second-guessing yourself a month down the road. Try everything & see if they have a loud room where you can crank them. You want to leave there with a lifetime investment that you'll never regret. But-like a few people have stated, getting great tones from those amps requires a little playing with the knobs. If you get a great tone out of one you like, see what other great tones you can get out of it. Keep playing with them. If the sales people get impatient with you, get a manager & make it clear you're there to buy an amp. They should take good care of you.
Have fun, man!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
It'll probably come down to the Road King or the Mk IV if you play lots of different kinds of music. Both very versatile, but the RK is looser (in other words, has WHOMP) and the Mk IV is tighter (in other words, kicks you in the nuts Jet Li style). Plus, it'll be easier to get a good soloing tone out of the Mk IV than the RK from what I hear.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
^

Quote by Say Ocean
post clips dammit

I really want a Mark IV. Too bad I'm buying $1500 recording gear so it won't happen anytime soon

no essay for me to do today, so i'm gonna try out erock's settings for a heavy tone, and various other things.

trust me, the recording gear will be worth it
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
^

no essay for me to do today, so i'm gonna try out erock's settings for a heavy tone, and various other things.

trust me, the recording gear will be worth it

Yeah for sure. I've been pretty into recording ever since I made a short little EP in studio just out of 8th grade haha. Been dealing with a single mic into the line in for too long
oh damn haha. i just got into recording this past year, and i love the results. the time put into it can be a bit tedious, but so gratifying in the end.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by Shinozoku
It'll probably come down to the Road King or the Mk IV if you play lots of different kinds of music. Both very versatile, but the RK is looser (in other words, has WHOMP) and the Mk IV is tighter (in other words, kicks you in the nuts Jet Li style). Plus, it'll be easier to get a good soloing tone out of the Mk IV than the RK from what I hear.

Did you try the Roadking on Bold. It's a whole new animal on bold...

...yet I still prefer spongy...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by swordsman14
So, I had my eyes on buying the Mark IV hearing so many great things about it and hearing awesome clips of it. So, when i go to the Mesa Boogie Hollywood dealer should I just just get the Mark IV or should I just go to the store and try the other amps out like the rectos and Roadsters? For some reason I have a gut feeling that the rectos wont give that the tight, chunky distortion that the Mark IV has but I maybe wrong. I'm only asking because I don't to waste the employees time by really now knowing what amp I want.

You're contemplating spending almost $2,000 on an amp and you're worried about taking up the customer service guy's time, when his job is to serve you as the customer? That sounds a little bass ackwards to me. But anyway, try out everything you can plug into.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
You're contemplating spending almost $2,000 on an amp and you're worried about taking up the customer service guy's time, when his job is to serve you as the customer? That sounds a little bass ackwards to me. But anyway, try out everything you can plug into.

Most stores, if you're willing to spend $2000, they're almost willing to die for you to pick up that commission

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Did you try the Roadking on Bold. It's a whole new animal on bold...

...yet I still prefer spongy...

I've.... never played a Roadking.. or any Mesa for that matter... But I know what I've heard, both on message boards, in sound clips, and on album. Compared to the Mk IV, the Road King still has "WHOMP" to it.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
I've.... never played a Roadking.. or any Mesa for that matter... But I know what I've heard, both on message boards, in sound clips, and on album. Compared to the Mk IV, the Road King still has "WHOMP" to it.

Yeah, I meant the confused smiley for myself preferring spongy. Both amps are very tight. And when I'm comparing it, it's a Roadking on a 2x12 vs. a Mark IV on a Stiletto 4x12 cab.

2x12s are naturally tighter. I'd love to hear both heads out of the same cabinet to get a good feel for both...It would probably make me want to buy a MKIV and run that alongside my roadking though...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by UnsignedRecords

Seriously. I've had my Mark IV since June and only recently did I nail my RHCP setting perfectly. On the other hand, it's a great amp and you learn a lot about twiquing through it. I say go for it.