so my dad is probably going to LA this weekend for like a week. he told me he can go to guitarcenter and buy the amp I want...so I was wondering if I should get the vox ac30 or fender hot rod (whichever of those probably the deville...). my dad is pretty good at lowering prices, how much do you think he could get away with at guitar center?

edit: I might have to end up buying a drum kit, so I dont know wether to buy the ac30 and then save up again, or buy something cheaper and have money to buy a drum kit....
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Last edited by fifer at Oct 17, 2007,
it looks like I will be able to go with him, so I will try both amps, wichever sounds better I will get. the only thing is that I dont have that good of an ear for tone, so they are probably going to sound the same...haha, I will probably end up buying an overdrive pedal too...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Try them out until you can tell a difference. If you can't, don't even bother with a new amp.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Well... What are you going to be playing?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well... What are you going to be playing?

That is also a very good question.

But, if the answer is clean stuff/blues, then you have to make the decision yourself.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Yeah, figured I'd throw that out there cause if he plays stuff that needs more of a dirty channel, those probably aren't the best choices.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, figured I'd throw that out there cause if he plays stuff that needs more of a dirty channel, those probably aren't the best choices.

Very true my friend

I don't feel needed around here anymore

*strolls away*

But, I decided that I'm going to learn all I can about acoustics. I feel I know enough about electrics.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
Try them out until you can tell a difference. If you can't, don't even bother with a new amp.

Eigh, he might appreciate the tubes more as time passes, rather than appreciate the Valvetronix less as time wears on and his ear for tone develops.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Eigh, he might appreciate the tubes more as time passes, rather than appreciate the Valvetronix less as time wears on and his ear for tone develops.

True, it wouldn't be a waste of money. It would just be a little unneccessary to buy an amp when you really don't notice how much better it sounds.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

The AC30 eats the Hot Rod for breakfast.

There are many other amps in between these two choices tone wise, and many that sound great for less money, too. The Peavey Classics, the Ampeg Super Jet, Traynor YCV's, Palominos, etc. You should really be out there trying a lot of amps, reading a lot of reviews, and getting a better feel for what you really want and/or need before you buy.

As for GC, you should get 10% off without trying, 15% with a little effort. If your dad's good, he might be able to do better than that. If you really want to save, ask about buying a floor model. Could get up to a third off that way.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
ok, thanks for all the help. well I am going to be playing rock mostly. between switchfoot and mxpx, yeah someone already told me that I wouldnt need much tone for those two...I do need overdrive/distortion. but I had heard that those two did good in overdrive, or atleast the vox did...

edit: and I will also use it to play in a band (or at least I want to)
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Last edited by fifer at Oct 18, 2007,
neither of those will do good overdrive not even with a pedal?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
neither of those will do good overdrive not even with a pedal?

The AC30 has very nice overdrive.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

oo ok, I was wondering because someone here said that neither of those had good overdrive...

edit: o someone said not a very good dirty chanel, I thought that meant overdrive...maybe I am wrong.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Last edited by fifer at Oct 18, 2007,
Quote by fifer
oo ok, I was wondering because someone here said that neither of those had good overdrive...

edit: o someone said not a very good dirty chanel, I thought that meant overdrive...maybe I am wrong.

They do, I was refering to more of if you needed a channel for metal or harder rock, there's better choices.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
oo, ok I am not going to do any metal, the hardest rock I desired from it would be emery's type of music, but if it doesnt do it I would still be content...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
wow I just went to the vox website and saw the video, the top boost is awesome...I think I want the AC 30.
Quote by RetroGunslinger