my friend owns a BC rich NT warlock bass and a squire practice bass. he has tried slapping on it but it doesnt seem to get the sound, mind you hes using a 15 watt guitar amp *dont know if thats the problem*. we jammed the other day and he used another kids ibanez bass/ and amp and right when he slapped it we were amazed he could slap it because we just thought he sucked at slapping. so is the problem his bass guitars, his amp or something else?
It could be an number of things... old strings generally sound bad slapped; a guitar amp does not produce a good bass tone. It also depends on the type of bass. A Jazz bass will sound better slapped than a Precision bass.
Quote by Swat Man
my friend owns a BC rich NT warlock bass and a squire practice bass. he has tried slapping on it but it doesnt seem to get the sound, mind you hes using a 15 watt guitar amp *dont know if thats the problem*. we jammed the other day and he used another kids ibanez bass/ and amp and right when he slapped it we were amazed he could slap it because we just thought he sucked at slapping. so is the problem his bass guitars, his amp or something else?

Well, if his slapping suddenly sounded good on the on the other amp in bass, I would say that he knows how to slap. Good equipment won't make bad technique sound like good technique. You need to isolate one variable at a time. Try the good amp with his bass, then try to good bass on the little amp.

However, the same thing happened to me. I was playing on my ****ty little practice amp, and I didn't think I was very good at slapping. The moment I god a 100W amp and tried slapping on it, I sounded awesome. I could slap all along, I just didn't have an amp that was good at producing that sound, for some reason. So I think there is a good chance that slapping just doesn't sound good on practice amps.

Anybody else experience this?
4 strings good, 6 strings bad.