Page 1 of 2
Solve for Y

x + 5y=15

help?
Quote by SchecterFreak
like i said..i feel like a dumass... oh!!! man you are refering to your abreviated name wow..i really feel stupid *blushes* god... sorry USHO.

man i feel like a **** now...
Isolate the 5y by subtracting the x, moving it to the other side and changing its sign. You now have 5y = 15 - x. Divide both sides by 5, and that's yo' answer.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Last edited by K-Lizzle at Oct 18, 2007,
That question is too easy to come to The Pit for help.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by K-Lizzle
Isolate the 5y by subtracting the x, moving it to the other side and changing its sign. You now have 5y = 15 - x. Divide both sides by y, and that's yo' answer.

No, divide both sides by 5 and you solve for y. As says the second post.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by pAmpH
Y=2
X=5

There are infinitely many solutions. You just found one.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
HS math ftl

Fender Strat
Alexi Laiho ESP

Quote by Doolittle
one time i masturbated into a pumpkins. needless to say
PWNED

Follower of the UG Faith, PM me to join!
Quote by pAmpH
Y=2
X=5
it says solve for Y... so would Y be 2?
Quote by SchecterFreak
like i said..i feel like a dumass... oh!!! man you are refering to your abreviated name wow..i really feel stupid *blushes* god... sorry USHO.

Quote by darkstar2466
No, divide both sides by 5 and you solve for y. As says the second post.

That's what I meant. I said y on accident.

Mah bad.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
y = -1/5x + 3 <--- As far simplified as I can make it.

unless you have another equation to make a system, then there is not enough information to come up with a number value for y.
Last edited by Leperaffinity01 at Oct 18, 2007,
Quote by usuckhugeonez
it says solve for Y... so would Y be 2?

No man.
Y = (15 - X) / 5

-_0

You first pass X to the other side, so it changes his sign from + to -. Then you divide everything by 5. So 5Y/5 = Y, and unless you knew the value of X you can't know the final result so you just write the operation [ (15 - X) / 5]
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Oct 18, 2007,
It's pretty simple in my opinion, unless there's a rule I'm missing, any combination of a number + another number multiplied by 5 should give you the same answer...

I'm just using basic algebra substitution.
Quote by urik
No man.
Y = (15 - X) / 5

-_0

You first pass X to the other side, so it changes his sign from + to -. Then you divide everything by 5. So 5Y/5 = Y, and unless you knew the value of X you can't know the final result so you just write the operation [ (15 - X) / 5]
thank you guys immensely!
Quote by SchecterFreak

I think I learned this in fourth or fifth grade. What grade are you in?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by urik
No man.
Y = (15 - X) / 5

-_0

why do you have the 15-x in parentheses? The 15-x isn't itself a term. The 15 and the x are separate. Keeping them grouped isn't simplified. Unless I'm mistaken
Quote by darkstar2466
I think I learned this in fourth grade. What grade are you in?
i doubt you learned multi-step equations in fourth grade... i'm in 11th.
Quote by SchecterFreak

I haven't been going to school for over 6 months... I must brush up on my math skills, the only thing I learned at school worth keeping.
Quote by Leperaffinity01
why do you have the 15-x in parentheses? The 15-x isn't itself a term. The 15 and the x are separate. Keeping them grouped isn't simplified. Unless I'm mistaken

the parentheses are indicating that the entire expression 15-x is divided by 5. If they were not indicated, it would say 15-(x-5) which is not the answer
Quote by Leperaffinity01

unless you have another equation to make a system, then there is not enough information to come up with a number value for y.

Isn't this the correct answer?
Nah, I remember learning simple algebra at the end of fourth grade and the beginning of fifth grade. That was when I was in India though. Crazy-ass academic system. They were teaching fractions in fifth grade, when I moved to the U.S.

I'm in Linear Algebra now. It's slightly reminiscent of regular algebra, but not really.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by usuckhugeonez
thank you guys immensely!

Do the operation replacing the letters with numbers to check if we're right.

x + 5y=15

Lets see.
X = 5
(5 + 5x2 = 15)
Y = 2

2 = (15 - 5) / 5
2=2

We're right
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Leperaffinity01

Fail

X + 5Y = 15

Subtract the X from both side to isolate the Y variable. This is done in all equations that require you to solve for a certain variable.
5Y = 15 - X

Divide by the constant in front of the Y to reduce the variable all the way.
Y = (15 - X) / 5

Separate into two fractions with a denominator of 5. You can do this to any fraction where the variables in the numerator are being added or subtracted, and the denominator is constant.
Y = (15 / 5) - (X / 5)

Simplify.
Y = 3 - X / 5

Done.

NVM, you edited it.
Quote by Hexagram
the parentheses are indicating that the entire expression 15-x is divided by 5. If they were not indicated, it would say 15-(x-5) which is not the answer

I know, you'd use the distributive property and essentially multiply the phrase my 1/5. I meant that it wasn't completely simplified. I was always taught to simplify my equations.
Quote by evilgerbil666
Fail

X + 5Y = 15

Subtract the X from both side to isolate the Y variable. This is done in all equations that require you to solve for a certain variable.
5Y = 15 - X

Y = (15 - X) / 5

Separate into two fractions with a denominator of 5. You can do this to any fraction where the variables in the numerator are being added or subtracted, and the denominator is constant.
Y = (15 / 5) - (X / 5)

Simplify.
Y = 3 - X / 5

Done.

You just used the commutative property, dummy.

They're both the same equation.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by evilgerbil666
Fail

X + 5Y = 15

5Y = 15 - X

Y = (15 - X) / 5

Y = (15 / 5) - (X / 5)

Simplify.
Y = 3 - X / 5

Done.

That's the same thing numbnuts. -1/5x = -x/5 I just put in the one for simplicity & used the communtative property

phail @ phail detection lol
Elementary algebra seems like a good ol' fun time compared to Linear algebra. F*cking number crunching...
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Haha, I haven't gotten there yet. I'm at Inter-something Differentiation. First time taking calc while at college. I'll get to Linear Algebra though, seeing as I'm and Aero major.
OK, now what you gotta do is go down the road past the old Johnson place. You're gonna find two roads, one parallel and one perpendicular. Now keep going until you come to a highway that bisects it at a 45-degree angle.

Solve for x.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Quote by BenFoffenbock
OK, now what you gotta do is go down the road past the old Johnson place. You're gonna find two roads, one parallel and one perpendicular. Now keep going until you come to a highway that bisects it at a 45-degree angle.

Solve for x.

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry couldn't help after seeing your avatar
You don't spend a thousand dollars on clothes... ... that you're never gonna wear...

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

DUH! DUH! DUH!
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Page 1 of 2