any1 notice when playing you think you might sound alright or slow. But when you record it and play it, it sounds damn good(if proficient at guitar). I recently recorded myself play on my mp3 player, it sounded awesome. any1 else feel this way?
LOL
I kinda get the opposite

I play on my acoustic and think i did fairly well but when i listend to myself after recording it...

Well, lets just say it not plesant haha
Quote by KroniKing
I kinda get the opposite

I play on my acoustic and think i did fairly well but when i listend to myself after recording it...

well acoustic sounds better but easier to make mistakes. As electric, most people use Distortion to hide the mistakes.
LOL
Quote by SiKh22
well acoustic sounds better but easier to make mistakes. As electric, most people use Distortion to hide the mistakes .

thats what ****ty metal is
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
If I record myself playing and relisten to it, I get really proud of the music I've produced. I also analyze it to the fullest extent to find flaws, so I can get better.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
i get the oposite, i always think that i played incredible wellm, but when i hear myself its actually pretty bad, especially when improvising...
I don't know if I completely get what you're saying, but I did record a riff I wrote that I thought I was playing rather slow and steady, but the entire riff actually only lasted about 3 seconds, and I was playing at like 6nps (because 6nps is fast). It was really bizarre playing the riff back and hearing this mangled mess of notes that sounded like a monkey attempting to shred with his wang, for lack of a better analogy. It almost felt like I had entered a time warp whilst recording, and thus my 3 second riff sounded more like 10 seconds. Sounds plausible enough I guess.
it goes both ways for me. sometimes i do good and suprise myself. other times i do **** and yeah.
yer im the same i think im like Hendrix when playing to myself but then i hear it recorded and i get this horrible sick feeling in my stomach followed by a quick spew
When I play, like during fast parts of soloes, I feel like I'm going really slow, and I can't get to the correct speed. Then, I play along to the song, and I'm doing it exactly right. Time slows down when I'm playing guitar.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
That's odd, because when I play a solo, I think it kinda blows, until I hear it played back and I'm like, dang, I played that? I'm at the point where I accept my solos are ass-kickin', and I'm proven right when I hear it played back. Sometimes, though, I go overboard. Time does seem to slow down when you are playing really fast. You don't quite realize it. Then it's played back and it sounds like you could've started a fire on the fretboard.
haha, I always think it sounds great when I'm playing, then I hear it back on recording, and reality smacks me in the head.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I like to tell myself that I sound good recorded.
I'm deluded though.
I made you a cookie but I eated it.
Quote by fli.pansy
thats what ****ty metal is

Distortion makes alot of mistakes sound more obvious...
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Distortion makes alot of mistakes sound more obvious...

Depends on EQ of amp/pedal.

/argument
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
^ Pretty much. And the types of mistakes. Scooped mids will hide all your mistakes, and all your right notes under a web of crappy fizzy poo sound.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i think distortion really brings out mistakes when you're sweep-picking and you miss a fret or something, but covers up slop (eg your fret and picking hand aren't totally synchronized, but the distortion covers the ugly noise that would be there acoustically)
yea i'm kinda the opposite, if i do this solo i might think it sounds pretty cool, but hearing it back in recording im just never satisfied
Quote by Kartman
If I record myself playing and relisten to it, I get really proud of the music I've produced. I also analyze it to the fullest extent to find flaws, so I can get better.

ditto..recording myself and playing back, made me realise my bends were awful.
Usually unsatisfied with mine, might be because I'm using a cheap mic.
But oh well.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
I think, part of the reason is because when I'm just playing to myself, I hear all the odd things that the recording doesn't necessarily pick up. Some string buzzing, pick clicking, etc.

Also, I think people tend to be more analytical when they're playing to themselves, thus pick out every little nuisance in their playing whatsoever.

When I've recorded myself and played it back, it seems like recording it cleans up my playing a little. It's very encouraging to me actually.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I know man I did that too recently and I sounded as good as most the other players in my area... I
Quote by KroniKing
I kinda get the opposite

i get the same..

i jam out a track then give it a playback and i find all the littlest things....

though i have noticed in professional recording (most notably the Beatles) that there are mini mistakes that just get overlooked.
i record an ass kicking riff then play it back, always turns out to be smoke on the water or something...
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Today was the first time I felt proud of what I've recorded, in music my first performance piece was Paranoid (Black Sabbath) with two friends on bass and drums, there was an added bass and drum solo, anyway I heard the guitar and was like "Wow, that's me." Then the drummer moaned about how "You cant hear the drums" even though you can she just likes it when the drums are louder than the guitar or bass.