hi all. guitar player with noob bass question i suppose. does anyone know of any good rickenbacker copies? i reallllly love the way they look/sound, i've never played one though so unfortunately i don't know much about how they feel, and i definitely can't fork over the cash for the real thing. my budget's is probably around 300-400. anyone got any suggestions/advice? obviously i'll try to try it out before i buy anything, but i just want something to start with.
Buy a real Rick, cheapo.

Anyways, Mr. Rickenbacker is pretty iffy about copies, so good luck with that.
So an irishman walks out of a bar.
There was this company who made them back in the day - I'm not sure if they still do, and I don't remember their name. I think Ibanez also used to make a Rick copy. If you hunt you might be able to find one, but they're pretty hard to come by (at least in my exp).

Besides, a copy won't sound at all like a real Rick, and therefore there's no point in getting one.
Rockinbacker's exist at the moment
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
Quote by KillEmAll
Rockinbacker's exist at the moment

i've seen Rickenbetter's as well...

Rickenbacker really don't like to be copied, if someone makes a guitar thats too similar to theirs, they send the FBI to get you.

i've seen some pretty accurate fakes, only distignuishable by their inferior quality and sound, and the fact that they have back-angled headstocks, which i'm pretty sure most rickenbackers don't. Of course, there's no point in getting a fake, i'm sure you could get a better bass if you get something else rather than a rickenbacker copy - the double-trussrod construction adds to the price and these copies end up costing more than they are worth.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
The Rockinsbetter bass made by Tokai is a 4003 copy, but it was £600 in the place i saw it.

Rickenbacker don't really let anyone make copies, as several elements of their designs are copyrighted; body "wave"on their basses, headstock shape, truss rod cover,ect.

Thats is the only copy i've seen around nowadays but its likely to be taken off the market at some point.

There were loads of copies made in the late 70s that are meant to be fairly good quality so its worth looking on ebay.
Quote by TheHatta
The Rockinsbetter bass made by Tokai is a 4003 copy, but it was £600 in the place i saw it.

Rickenbacker don't really let anyone make copies, as several elements of their designs are copyrighted; body "wave"on their basses, headstock shape, truss rod cover,ect.

Thats is the only copy i've seen around nowadays but its likely to be taken off the market at some point.

There were loads of copies made in the late 70s that are meant to be fairly good quality so its worth looking on ebay.

Yeah, I'd love to try out one of those Rockinsbetter basses before they get taken off.

And TS, search Rickenbacker law suit on ebay, it usually comes up with something.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
i tried this a while back mate, the rick is my dream bass too but can't afford a real one. Like on of the guys said, rickenbacker are really funny about copies and very few exist. Ibanez made a few in the 70s (bruce foxton of the jam started on one), the rockinbetter ones seem to be ridiculously hard to come by and the indie copies were a run of like 100. So yeah, its difficult but good luck man, hope you find one, i didn't
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Good luck. Rickenbacker is one of the most bulldog-like in its pursuit against "copycat" and fake guitars and basses.

For example, if for some reason you need the truss rod "name plate" replacement for your Ric, you will need to send in the old damaged one before they will release a new one to you. Enough said.
Quote by anarkee
Enough said.

hey, thats a DEVO song! lol
Rickenbacker does not take copyright infrengment lightly! otherwise the market would be full of copies. if you want a Ric', get the real deal. their quality standards are un-matched, in todays world of mass production.
They're only feisty about copyrights because they know they're sitting on gold haha. Ricks are great, but don't buy a copy. There's no point in doing so. The bass won't sound at all like a real Rick, and therefore would not satisfy half as much as a real one would. Get an Ibanez SRX or something around there. Great basses can be found for your budget, you just have to look around a bit. Of course you could always keep saving for a real Rick.
Rickenbacker 4003
Big Muff Pi
Ashdown Chorus Plus
Digitech Whammy
Peavey Volume
Cry Baby Bass Wah
Small Stone
TR-2 Tremolo
Peavey TNT 115

...I have an empty wallet.
Rickenbacker are hawks when it comes to knock-offs, unlike some of the other bass companies that are a little more lax about this. Basicly if a company makes a Rick copy, they get the crap sued out of them. Therefore a Rick copy is quite hard to find. So your either going to have to save or settle for a Fender Jazz Bass.
Quote by Captain Insano
Rickenbacker are hawks when it comes to knock-offs, unlike some of the other bass companies that are a little more lax about this.

Fender have to be lax about copies, they missed their chance to copyright certain aspects of their designs before people started copying them.
Quote by Charlatan_001
There was this company who made them back in the day - I'm not sure if they still do, and I don't remember their name. I think Ibanez also used to make a Rick copy. If you hunt you might be able to find one, but they're pretty hard to come by (at least in my exp).

Besides, a copy won't sound at all like a real Rick, and therefore there's no point in getting one.

Ibanez did, in the mid 70's, and used their Columbus brand. I have one. It looks identical (they even copied the headstock shape and the brig) has identical neck shape, and does indeed sound and play like the real thing. I've used it to play Beatles thro to Motorhead via The Jam, and it never let me down. Until the neck nearly folded up.
You see, to cut costs, they are bolt-on; and only have one truss rod. The tenon on the body end is incredibly thin so as to fit under the neck pup, and mine had had enough at 20-odd years. It will be repaired, and will ride again, I'm just fearing the cost!
You might find one on eBay, but given their fragility, it's unlikely. Hohner made a good copy at the time too, but time isn't kind to most budget instruments, so they're probly the same.
Jim Deacon made some for the UK market in the early 90's, but frankly I wouldn't even waste a match on them. Like a few other copies I've seen, they were badly dressed up crap J-bass copies.
The Tokai and the Indie are worth a bet, but ultimately, you need a real one. Tracking
down copies is the devil's own job. Wonder why...lol
Yeah I saw an Indie one in a shop not long ago, looked like the real thing and its sound was quite distinct, different to the real thing but still
I played a Rickenbacker at Music Live last year and although I used to hate them, I absolutely love them now, they are so fun! Plus I like more treble bite on me bass tone now so their perfect for my sounds
Wow.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
You might want to check out my thread =p altho I cant say if its a good bass yet since I havent fixed it up. It's called ''Got my bass! Gonna be one hell of a work project >.>''
Just got myself a lovely 1970s copy

Anyone who has played a decent one will agree, they are awesome, best £180 I ever spent!! x
mines an unbranded 1970s one, its got a new neck on it but it still sexy as x
Most importantly, is it a bolt on? And extra most importantly, does it sound like one?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
This is completely, and utterly, off topic but I adore the Rickenbacker tone, I just find the actual thing to be so damn ugly. I know this shouldn't matter, at all, but it's repulsive to me! I just...do not like one thing about the Rickenbacker's aesthetics.

/rant
Schecter has the 004 model which looks like a sexier Rick (it's nearly impossible, I know), but it probably won't sound the same. It sells for around $700 new I think
Quote by RJayZ
This is completely, and utterly, off topic but I adore the Rickenbacker tone, I just find the actual thing to be so damn ugly. I know this shouldn't matter, at all, but it's repulsive to me! I just...do not like one thing about the Rickenbacker's aesthetics.

/rant

WHAT!!!

They are lovely looking things!!

Yes, it is a bolt on, and yes it sounds somewhat similar to a Rickenbacker, but with its own more distinct sound

Basically, I've played alot of sounds that are played on real Ricks, and I can get the same sound as they do

Bolt on doesn't effect it too much to be honest, I'd like a thru neck bass but my copy Ricky is lush enough as it is x