I just got given 2 large speakers (about 70cm tall 45cm wide and 50cm deep each (cabinets that is, I think the speakers are 10" with a small speaker at the top) ), and I was wondering - considering that I need a new guitar amp - if I could use these. I would obviously need an amplifier, so would I be able to use a stereo amp and plug my pedal board into the mic in?

Also, since I need a new amp, could I buy an amp head and use these speakers as a cab?

If you need me to, I will take pictures of the speakers. The brand is Astor.

Thanks!
my friend has plugged his guitar into his stereo system before to play through the speakers before! and yes he used the mic in. so that should work, using the right stereo amp to go with the speakers.... i'm not too sure about using them as a cab, cos you'd have to get the ohms right with the cab and the speakers, and the watts, and it could be tricky! but hey, wait for some more advice, it could work!
I used some stereo speakers for my Epi VJ when I first got it. It will work as long as the impedence matches up and your speakers are rated at a high enough wattage.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I'll open up the cabs and post the specs later, just to make sure it's safe.

This looks like a really good head, and since I use pedals for distortion / OD, etc. I think this'd work great. It's got 4 8 and 16ohm outputs, so I guess that'd work. http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEPAEMJRH

When you say impedence, what exactly do you mean?
i just looked at that thing you were thinking of getting, and it's only 5 watts. i think it's more important to match up the ohms on your gear, i'm doing it in physics at school now i should know! but 5 watts might not work... i'm not sure
anyway, i'm not going to pretend to be an expert on this, i think impedence and ohms are the same thing. not completly sure... get some more expert advice from someone else, i can't help you anymore! sorry!
Yes, Ohms and Impedence are the same thing. And, most likely the VJ will be able to work with the speakers, seeing as you have 3 options for impedance, and I'm sure you won't blow the speakers. But, if the speakers you got don't have a 1/4" input, you'll either have to solder a jack, or modify a speaker cable to work as Speaker wire.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Here's some pictures, hope they help a bit. There's no ohm rating on the back or anywhere on the speaker case. The crappy Silvertone amp is the one it's replacing (hopefully!)

Ignore the small speaker underneath the Silvertone, that's for my stereo.

EDIT: This is the kind of plug on the end: http://www.m-99.co.uk/Connectors_Parts/DIN/755_432.jpg
Last edited by BGSM at Oct 18, 2007,
It doesn't say anything on the backs of the speakers? Oh, and I hope you aren't looking at this as a permanent solution. It is a little risky, so I'd just use it as temporary and build yourself a cab ASAP.

On second thought, why don't you just use your Silvertone as a temporary cab?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Well, I was thinking of these speakers to replace my Silvertone (since the sound I get from it is really, really bad) and temporarily use a stereo amp as a head.

What do you mean by risky? - blowing up the speakers, blowing my guitar?

And what would be the difference with me building a cab and using these speakers?

There are numbers etc on the backs of the speakers, but nothing that clearly indicates impudence.

Thanks for your help by the way!
Quote by BGSM
Well, I was thinking of these speakers to replace my Silvertone (since the sound I get from it is really, really bad) and temporarily use a stereo amp as a head.

What do you mean by risky? - blowing up the speakers, blowing my guitar?

Thanks for your help by the way!

Well, If you work the speakers too hard, they will explode on the inside. The signal in the amp will have no where to go and build up in the output transformer, thus exploding that. Now, you have no speakers and no amp.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Oh, ok. Work to hard meaning really loud?

And what would be the difference with me building a cab and using these speakers?

There are numbers etc on the backs of the speakers, but nothing that clearly indicates impudence.
Quote by BGSM
Oh, ok. Work to hard meaning really loud?

Mostly

Next to none. I meant build your own cab and buy a proper guitar speaker or buy a cab with a proper speaker.

Type them exactly.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

i want a 2x12 cab with 2 16ohms in parallel so i get 8 ohms for my VJ... get weber beam blockers for one of them, and one left no blocker for recording purposes. that would be cool. i could use it with my Marshall once i get a new 8 ohm weber silver bells. i'll add an a/b switch to switch between cab/internal speakers.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
They're about 1970's Plessey speakers.

Ok, here's what they say in the speaker boxes.

Small top speaker:
Plessey
5FXOO
12J3B
295/8

Big speaker:
13H3H
119/8

There's a small metal box thingy, you see that in the picture, this is what's on this:
mmm. vintage '70s speakers. nice. both should be 8 ohms from that description. "119/8" should be 119 watts at 8 ohms??? and the tweeter (is it?) should be 295 watts at 8 ohms... right?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The problem i see with these speakers is that stereo speakers are meant to reproduce already recorded sounds, and not give any specific tone. Where as guitar amp speakers are made to give you different tones, and shape your sound. You might get a really flat bland tone from them, or they might sound great who knows?
^ guitar speakers actually have a very narrow eq band compared to "normal" speakers. they are actually horrible speakers in terms of speakers. some people(me ) like flat response speakers with no breakup eg EVs.
Just checked on the actual stereo that came with this - speakers ARE 8 ohms (should of done this earlier, duh)

So, will these work, or will it blow anything up?