As the title suggests, I'm looking to buy some new gear.

All I have righ now is my acoustic guitar, which while I love isn't exactly made for the genre of music I play (metal.) I recently came upon a job, so money shouldn't be a problem toooo much, though I'd still not like to toss too much around.

I'm also a purest...which is bad to me.

So things I need:

New Amp!!

I have no clue what to get. I'm willing to spend up to $ 500 CDN on it. I'd prefer it was a tube, but I've heard that I should just get a combo amp since i'm a beginner. Again though, purist, so I thought of getting a cabinet and tube amp head...ya...that kinda cost alot. What should I do? I play mostly metal, classical metal such as Sabbath, 'Tallica, Megadeth all the way to heavier more custom stuff such as Opeth and riffs I write myself.

I'd like the amp to last a while, so it should be decently powerful, allowing for at least small venue play. And for effects, I have no idea what to do...so...

Effects!!

Should I get a processor, pedals, I really have no clue! Again, I don't want to spend TOO much as I'm new, but I'm willing to go up to a total of $ 200 CDN (if that's a good amount? I really don't know...but the way my budgeting works out I can't spend much more than that.) I'd like something with the basic effects like overdrive, but at the same time some weirder effects like phase and flange.

As for my guitar...I'm not decided. There's a lot of cool looking fun guitars jumping around in my mind and I cant decide. Gonna take some more trips to the store to pick. Chances are though, it's either going to be an Ibanez, Jackson, or Epiphone. I heard that the standard pups on those are pretty meh, so my purist kicked in and said go get some Seymour Duncans. I have no idea which ones to get though...

So thanks in advance if you read through all that ****.

Thanks again, Can

Decided to get an RG2EX1 (Whatever the black one is)
Last edited by CrushedCan at Oct 18, 2007,
Concord, eh? You don't shop at the L&M near Steeles & Keele perchance?

RG2EX1 is an okay guitar, although I'm not clued in on how much it would cost you. You might want to consider something like a Godin Redline, it would be right up your alley for CAD450 off the shelf.

Five hundred doesn't really convert into any high gain tube amps, especially stacks or halfstacks. If you put your amp and effects budgets together, you might be able to get something like a Peavey Valveking combo which should be pretty loud, but I can't attest to how great their tones are, never tried them myself.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Some jacksons already have duncans in them, the dk2m is sexy its my baby

You dont have enough money to spend on a good amp my friend

effects = useless for a person new to electrics, so no. you have 700 CAN to spend on an amp but thats still not good enough

Tube amp.... I like Orange amps, but for a thrashy metallica sound they're not as effective
Quote by pifty
Concord, eh? You don't shop at the L&M near Steeles & Keele perchance?

RG2EX1 is an okay guitar, although I'm not clued in on how much it would cost you. You might want to consider something like a Godin Redline, it would be right up your alley for CAD450 off the shelf.

Five hundred doesn't really convert into any high gain tube amps, especially stacks or halfstacks. If you put your amp and effects budgets together, you might be able to get something like a Peavey Valveking combo which should be pretty loud, but I can't attest to how great their tones are, never tried them myself.

I've been told good things about the L&M and I am going to check it out soon...enough.

I've also been told good things about Steve's music store, though I'm not sure how far that'll go.

So do you guys recomend just getting a better guitar instead of blowing that much money on a amp that isn't gonna be that good anyways and get a solidstate combo amp or something?
Amp=Tube Combo

Effects=Forget for now, buy seperate pedals in time as you earn with your job. If you have money left over after buying guitar/amp then maybe get a wah and/or your favourite effect in single pedal form

Guitar=Forget what you know about pickups, go and play all the guitars you can afford and like through the amp you will be getting and see what is the best to play, if the amp is good enough and it sounds awesome then forget about your SDs until later.

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT