whats your opinion on the emg hz h4? alexi laiho uses it and its the passive version of the emg 81. so is it good? does it suck? your thoughts?
as if he'd use passive emg's
did you get this info from one of his signature guitars? because the specs aren;t going to be the same, particularly on the cheaper models
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Quote by david1991
whats your opinion on the emg hz h4? alexi laiho uses it and its the passive version of the emg 81. so is it good? does it suck? your thoughts?

i have a ibanez with that p.u. they sound great,but i have also an esp with EMG81/85 and i prefer active p.u.,the sound is more "hot".
any way they are both great p.u.
He now uses blackouts dosn't he ?
And when he was on EMG's he wouldn't have been using the passive versions anyway.
Quote by howey
And when he was on EMG's he wouldn't have been using the passive versions anyway.

why not? ,,,, passive doesnt mean light ... just look at slayer :p
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
I doubt he really uses those. Probably a marketing ploy to get you to buy shitty pickups.
Quote by High_o
as if he'd use passive emg's

He used Passive EMG HZs till he recently shifted to active seymour duncan blackouts

Quote by howey

He was using the passive EMG HZs

Quote by sajuuk
why not? ,,,, passive doesnt mean light ... just look at slayer :p

Kerry King uses EMG actives with a boost circuit.

Anyway back to thread, the EMG HZ is generally considered to be a bad passive pickup without the tonal qualities you'd want from a passive pickup nor the output of an active pickup.

I havent used one though, but this is what most people agree on so dont take what i said as a fact but rather as a warning
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
DagMX has all his facts straight. And as for the HZ i have also heard bad things about them, however, i've seen bands play live with them and sound great, so i think you should just go into a shop and try out a guitar which has them installed and choose for yourself
Alexi laiho did use them, but didn't he use them with some booster circuit thing so they sounded hotter?
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by gucio93
Alexi laiho did use them, but didn't he use them with some booster circuit thing so they sounded hotter?

i think your correct.
Though I dont see why he never just went to actives if he wanted such a hot output.
Oh well hes onn blackouts now. I should be receiving my pair as soon as the guy getting them for me arrives so I can find out what all the buzz is
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
i think your correct.
Though I dont see why he never just went to actives if he wanted such a hot output.
Oh well hes onn blackouts now. I should be receiving my pair as soon as the guy getting them for me arrives so I can find out what all the buzz is

When you get them could you pm me about how they sound? I've been extremely interested but I don't have much money to spend on stuff D:
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by gucio93
When you get them could you pm me about how they sound? I've been extremely interested but I don't have much money to spend on stuff D:

yeah sure. Though I dont know exactly when I'll get them. I was supposed to get them last week but the guy getting them is getting delayed

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
AFAIK Alexi used a passive EMG HZ bridge humbucker live with a booster circuit, but during recording he used different guitars and pickups. I have EMG HZ pickups in my guitar and I quite like them, they work great with all kinds of distortion. The cleans aren't that good though. And there are better pickups in the same price class (mine came stock)
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com