Yeah, this is kinda just another one of your 'what should I get?' threads. Well, I pretty much have everything thought out other than if this would actually work.

Here's a little backstory: I was involved in a car accident after one of my band's shows this past May (yeah, totally sucked ass), so next May (of 08), I'll be starting to get money from the guy who hit us (he was drunk, so all injuries were no fault). My dad said I could do anything with the money, and considering I'm an active musician, it was the first thing that popped in my mind.

I don't have a solid number of what I'm getting, but if I sue for pain and suffering, well I believe Minnesota's state minimum is $300,000. It's just a matter of the case getting reviewed.

Anyways, onto the point. I've been looking into a new setup for next year, mostly for the summer since my band will be gigging a lot. Currently I have a BC Rich Bich Special Edition Archtop, Peavy ValveKing 212, and a ZOOM 505II pedal (which everyone seems to have). It's not the most glamorous setup, but it gets the job done on stage, for recording, and at practice.

As opposed to my "dream" set-up. It's not all bells and whistles; I just wanna have a good sound and look alright playing. Now first off, guitars.

I'm debating on getting a Schecter, because I know most/all come with a locking tremelo. I lean towards the normal bridge, where you simply put the strings in, tune and play.

I was also looking into getting a nice 150-watt Ibanez head going into a Line 6 cab. I'm curious if this would allow me to have a better high-gain sound than my Peavy gives me.

And any other suggestions?
Thanks.
why would you get a 150watt Ibanez head??? get a 120watt peavey tube head!!! much louder, great high-gain sound out of it.

for cabs, look mesa. they make great cabs.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
"I was also looking into getting a nice 150-watt Ibanez head going into a Line 6 cab."

Wrong. Bad Head and Cab. Try Mesa/Boogie, Peavey, Marshall JCM, Laney, Engl, Traynor, Framus or Orange all-tube amps. I'm obviously forgetting many more.
id go with the peavey valveking, theyre good amps. depends on what you play though. and are you going for a new guitar? to go with that amp, id suggest an ibanez maybe? i really fancy the high end RG's.
Mesa. Boogie.

Get yourself a mesa boogie triple rectifier. If you like gainsy ass-raping tone, you'll love the mesa.

&& Schecter's always a good choice. By just put the strings in and tune, are you talking about a tremolo or fixed bridge?
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
How bad were you hurt? Oh and a really dumb question but I always wanted to know how the people who hit you pay you, do you somehow get it all at once or is it like some money taken out of his pay till you are payed back?
If you have a big budget, it sounds like you should just go out and try everything you can, and see what feels the best, and fits you nicest.

But yeah, I reckon you could probably do better than an Ibanez head and Line 6 cab, by far.

Certainly try out some tube heads, Schecter make some nice guitars for sure, to find one you like, and try it out with some amps.

Sorry to hear about the accident, hope you weren't hurt too bad.
Quote by shoted
How bad were you hurt? Oh and a really dumb question but I always wanted to know how the people who hit you pay you, do you somehow get it all at once or is it like some money taken out of his pay till you are payed back?

Not meaning to hijack the thread but in answer to your question over here in England the drunk drivers car insurance would pay for the damages. That is the main reason you need it, not to pay for just the repairs to the cars, can be relatively low but to pay for compensation if you injure somone. I believe, once the courts had settled it, if it gets that far, maybe the insurance companies will sort it beforehand but I doubt it as they need to know a figure he will recieve a lump sum. It may take time though because insurance companies don't like giving money away.

Treadstarter if you are going to have in the region of $300,000 it would be nice to go out and get some really nice gear that is going to last you so you are not tempted to keep digging into that money to upgrade again. It would be a false economy. Depending what sort of distortion you are after I would say go down the Peavey XXX or 6505 or alternatively Mesa Boogie. EDIT or diesel? Guitar wise just get whatever plays best, there is no need to go down really expensive custom shop stuff, or signature stuff unless you prefer it IMHO. I think in time you will be tempted to own more than one guitar, you will have no need to sell the one you are owning to fund the next, so bear that in mind too.

Hope you are all better from the accident mate, and that whilst it is not a lottery win you use the rest of the money to help you longterm in life.

Cheers Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
Last edited by 6StringCraig at Oct 18, 2007,
With your budget, amp wise you can think about the likes of Mesa/Boogie, Bogner, Diesel and such.

As far as guitars go, ther are a few options:

-get a high quality stock guitar: think about the Ibanez J. Custom range; hard to find but worth it.

Also, check out Vigier, they're a french brand with a few very inovative features (www.vigierguitars.com)

-get a custom from a major brand: you might want to consider getting a custom guitar from brands like Jackson or ESP. Be aware though that these are very, very expensive and a lot of the money goes into the name.

Another brand you might want to consider is Carvin; their customs don't cost a fortune and are apparently very good.

-get a custom fom a small company or luthier; if you want something unique and you don't mind waiting a while try a luthier or small company. A few ones I can think of right now are: Ormsby, Bo-El, KxK and Ran.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
^^ +1 on bonsai

^ also +1. with that kind of money you can buy a house. In the middle of nowhere. so you can play your amps on 10.

Spend like $290,000 (assuming you get $300,000 in the settlement) on a house, and the remaining $10,000 on gear. Maybe spend like $10,000 on a car or something too. Houses are one of the few things which don't (often) depreciate. I mean even $10,000 will buy you an absolutely amazing rig.

Also consider investing some of the cash (get some expert advice on that, though).

Sorry you got in an accident by the way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by wasp21
300,000 and your going to get a schecter?

haha, that's what i thought. assuming he didn't mean the japanese schecters...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by shoted

It's not long-term. I just have really sore (nearly torn) neck and back muscles. I'm not sure about the payment, but I'm thinking it'll be payed like every quarter or so (three month intervals).

Quote by Dave_Mc
with that kind of money you can buy a house. In the middle of nowhere. so you can play your amps on 10.

Spend like $290,000 (assuming you get $300,000 in the settlement) on a house, and the remaining $10,000 on gear. Maybe spend like $10,000 on a car or something too. Houses are one of the few things which don't (often) depreciate. I mean even $10,000 will buy you an absolutely amazing rig.

Also consider investing some of the cash (get some expert advice on that, though).

Sorry you got in an accident by the way.

That is a really good idea, but I'm only 17, a senior in high school and about to move to Rochester, Minnesota for college, so I'll probably save about half for renting a nice apartment or townhome. I'll probably buy a car, though.

---

Thanks for all the feedback though. I like Bonsaischaap's idea of getting a custom. ESP's customs are about 4,000, if I'm not mistaken, with artwork and all. That'd be awesome. As for a half-stack, I'm liking the Peavy head and Mesa cab idea. It's jsut that I played an Ibanez head through some cheap brand cab at a store once and I loved it, but I think I'll just go to Guitar Center soon and try out some different combinations.
Yeah, you might as well put most of it in a high interest (APY) bank account if you're only 17. In a few years time you'll have made enough money to have covered the cost of your gear by a long way. Obviously, get a decent car when you need to, but if you have the money to buy nice gear, why not? The Peavey/Mesa would just be awesome, as is a nice guitar.
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker
That is a really good idea, but I'm only 17, a senior in high school and about to move to Rochester, Minnesota for college, so I'll probably save about half for renting a nice apartment or townhome. I'll probably buy a car, though.

---

Thanks for all the feedback though. I like Bonsaischaap's idea of getting a custom. ESP's customs are about 4,000, if I'm not mistaken, with artwork and all. That'd be awesome. As for a half-stack, I'm liking the Peavy head and Mesa cab idea. It's jsut that I played an Ibanez head through some cheap brand cab at a store once and I loved it, but I think I'll just go to Guitar Center soon and try out some different combinations.

ah, ok. i'd definitely advise against renting though. it's basically dead money to make someone else rich. buy your own appartment, or if the local laws won't allow minors to buy property, get someone to buy it for you in trust or something.

seriously, with that kind of money you shouldn't be renting.

also +1 about a high interest account, don.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
day trading penny stocks ftw!

kidding.

and dont rent. BUY. then rent to others when you're done.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
$300,000? Tom Anderson guitar. Long waiting time as only Tom builds one, but you have to play one to believe. Get an ENGL Savage half stack. Plenty of money left over to put in a high interest account, housing, etc.
Screw college.

Just invest and don't change your spending habits too drastically and you won't have to do a lick of work the rest of your life.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Screw college.

Just invest and don't change your spending habits too drastically and you won't have to do a lick of work the rest of your life.

i dont think 300,000 is enough to cruise on.
every key
every secret

Damn, now I want to get hit by a drunk driver.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Quote by staticoverdub

Yeah. Maybe a well-invested million, but not $300,000...
Quote by staticoverdub

Well I mean you'd probably have to get some little part time job, too, but those can be fun Be a bartender or something.

...or a touring musician...

Quote by CJRocker
Yeah. Maybe a well-invested million, but not $300,000...

A million is plenty if you don't try to live life so lavishly .

Investing a million in the safest of securities would get you $50,000 a year.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 19, 2007,
Id just buy a place outright then just work to cover my lifestyle. Land is by far the best investment you can make.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
I say get a real nice head and cab, guitar and a few effects, and put the rest in a High-interest savings account and dont touch it until your getting your own place/car etc or college.

What sort of music do you play? im assuming hard rock-metal because of your current set-up. I say mesa mark IV, has pretty nice cleans, great crunch, its pretty much an all-rounder kind of amp, it does pretty much anything, pretty well.

Also if you dont need as much gain as I assume, an Orange rocker is a great amp for cleans up to hard rock.

Guitar, you could probably get two reasonably good ones if you are for versatility, one for cleans (strat, semi-hollow maybe) and one for higher-gain such as a hardtail scheter, or a high-end ibanez etc (im not knowledged in high-gain stuff)

pedal-wise, maybe a real nice wah(RMC Wizard for higher gained stuff, Fulltone Clyde Deluxe wah for anything up to classic rock/rock) and OD pedal (maxon od8, fulltone OCD, or maybe a more boutique pedal, depending on what sort of sound you want), and then any modulation you may use.
Quote by halikus
Id just buy a place outright then just work to cover my lifestyle. Land is by far the best investment you can make.

Buy some farmland a town or two over from some blossoming suburb.

Wait a decade or two, and cha-ching!
Quote by utsapp89
you could buy a lot of desert for $300,000
every key
every secret

Look into Suhr, custom shop in Cali, supposedly extremely good quality!
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Wow with that kinda money id say:
Ibanez RGT320Q
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGT320Q-RG-Prestige-Series-Electric-Guitar-AAA-with-Quilted-Maple-Top?sku=514212
Ive never played one but they look fantasic.
I would have a huge pedal board.
Im not sure on a amp but i would get a big stack just for show.

But on a more serious note i would get on the property ladder, get a nice house
Manchester United