So, a lot of people havemixed opinions about Fieldy, KoRn's bassist.

Imho, I think he's "Unique" simply based on the way he plays his bass (if you watch videos)

But, In december I plan to get myself a nce 5-String, and wondered if the Ibanez K5 (Fieldy's signature) was any good? Priced at £519.00 from Guitars.co.uk. (Is that a fair price for it?)

So yeah, Opinions or recommendations for any good 5-strings (Preferably below £400, not sure what that is in US Dollars..)

Cheers all.
£400 is $568. Personally, if you really like the tone of the K5 I'd support it, it has great tonal capabilities, and is definately great if you like to play slap bass. However, if you want something cheaper that is a great 5-string, I'd suggest looking into Ibanez's SR405, which I currently have, it's basically a similar set-up to the K5, it's an active bass with passive pickups (the magnets are covered), so it's awesome for slap or for whatever else you might like. However, if you aren't going to slap hardly at all, I'd suggest getting the exposed pickups and get an Ibanez SRX595.

The only think I don't like about my 405 is that it has a plain black finish, I really wanted to get the transparent gray flat finish of the 595 or the 305FM, but hey, I was primarily interested in the tonal and pickup settings of the bass than I was of the color. Oh well.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Its a pretty nice bass. Its very ligh and thin, the neck is awesome.
I own the model fieldy used before he made the k5, its also the same model he built the k5 off.
If your wanting that fieldy sound you can get it from alsorts of basses! I managed to get a just as stong sound out of my esp.. So thats food for thought
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
Caustics snap review of the Ibanez K5:

Piece of shit.

Caustics detailed review of the Ibanez K5:

Complete piece of shit. A gimmick bass designed to hook in fans of Korn who want a bass tone that sounds like someone hitting a brass bell with a tin of beans. That's saying nothing about Fieldy - it's just a really shoddy bass.

It's not worth the cash. At all. It's probably not even worth half the cash. You're better off buying an Ibanez Soundgear. Better bass, more tonal options, looks just as nice, feels nicer, much cheaper.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Oct 18, 2007,
So all signature basses are just gimmic's too?
Try b4 you buy it.
I agree that its way not worth the money. You could always go for the sr504 they sound pretty good and are much cheaper! Or you could always buy a warwick or something... :P
You can get that fieldy sound out of pretty much any thing if thats what floats your boat
. . .

WOW SH*T

Quote by sictree
So all signature basses are just gimmic's too?

All? No. Many? Yes. Mark Hoppus bass? The Squier version of the Mike Dirnt sig? Pete Wentz sig? And the K5, obviously.

There are very few signature series basses from any manufacturer that are much different from stock, and many of them only have changes that anyone with access to eBay and a toolkit can make for much less cash.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Oct 18, 2007,
Yeah actually your about 100% right on that one!
I know id never buy some ones signature bass so I agree on that one
. . .

WOW SH*T

Last edited by sictree at Oct 18, 2007,
Yeah, I guess I can agree to a lot of you guys. It's much better to get the company basses than it is to get signatures, because then you're able to get more tones out of them, and you aren't just copying someone else. Plus, if you ever get really good, you can get your model (or another) customized to you, and have your own signature bass that no one should buy, haha. Just having fun on that idea, but definately try it out, if you like it a lot, then get it, if not, then obviously don't.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Quote by mhylands
£400 is $568. Personally, if you really like the tone of the K5 I'd support it, it has great tonal capabilities, and is definately great if you like to play slap bass. However, if you want something cheaper that is a great 5-string, I'd suggest looking into Ibanez's SR405, which I currently have, it's basically a similar set-up to the K5, it's an active bass with passive pickups (the magnets are covered), so it's awesome for slap or for whatever else you might like. However, if you aren't going to slap hardly at all, I'd suggest getting the exposed pickups and get an Ibanez SRX595.

The only think I don't like about my 405 is that it has a plain black finish, I really wanted to get the transparent gray flat finish of the 595 or the 305FM, but hey, I was primarily interested in the tonal and pickup settings of the bass than I was of the color. Oh well.

£400 is $819.32
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
its a pretty good bass but theres still better but yeah its good
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Yeah just get the SR505. It's cheaper and better than the K5, which is basically a black SR505 with a big inlay, a gold bridge, gold tuners and cheap Ibanez pickups that come on some of their lower end basses.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.