Page 1 of 2
Read me.

I had no idea he held views like that, came as quite a shock. I can't get my head around why such an obviously intelligent person would think such things. Any other eminent scientists you know of which had/have surprising views?
For a nobel prize winner, he's quite the moron.

As the article said, he let his own values and prejudice become his work.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
The scientist has courted controversy in the past, saying that a woman should have the right to abort her unborn child if tests could determine it would be homosexual.

WTF? I'd be very suprised if there was a gene that codes for homosexuality...

What I do know (I actually had a lecture on this yesterday) is that when Watson and Crick first eluded to the double helicle structure of DNA it was because of an X-ray defraction pattern (sort of an X-ray where the light defracts off of what you are taking a picture of). Anyway the original X-ray was done by Rosalind Franklin. When Watson and Crick won the noble prize they shared it with her assistant, but Rosalind Fanklin didn't get a mention (she couldn't win because she was dead), because she was a woman...
I know, eh? It's nuts. I guess being 79'll do that do you though. Oh well. Some people are crazies, old people in particular believe some completely bigoted, irrational sh/t. At least we're not formally keeping slaves anymore. It's a start.

Quote by phizzle
what thats not that racist ....hes being a realist ....
I know a very black South African woman. She's like my mom. She was in the ANC. She got shot in leg by some ignorant white motherfμckers, the Boers. She's a hero.

And she's smarter than you. Go home.

ed: Ha, you're from Australia. Go figure.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Last edited by jammoe at Oct 18, 2007,
Quote by jammoe
I know, eh? It's nuts. I guess being 79'll do that do you though. Oh well. Some people are crazies, old people in particular believe some completely bigoted, irrational sh/t. At least we're not formally keeping slaves anymore. It's a start.

I know a very black South African woman. She's like my mom. She was in the ANC. She got shot in leg by some ignorant white motherfμckers, the Boers. She's a hero.

BTW, the feminine form of the noun 'hero' is 'heroine'. Thus I am smarter than you. Go home.
Quote by MightyAl
BTW, the feminine form of the noun 'hero' is 'heroine'. Thus I am smarter than you. Go home.
With my superior knowledge of the sociolinguistic history of English I've determined gender distinction with the word "hero" to be no longer necessary. Thus it is truly I who is smarter than you. So you can go home.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Quote by jammoe

Are you South African?
Quote by Nugi
Are you South African?
Nope.
Quote by Meths
Quote by phizzle
what thats not that racist ....hes being a realist ....

You're a douche.

And saying all black people aren't as good as all white people in any way is racist.
Quote by jammoe

Ha, yeah, you're a douche too. That's just as racist as what he said.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
'The scientist has courted controversy in the past, saying that a woman should have the right to abort her unborn child if tests could determine it would be homosexual.'

Even if you could say he was being a realist because of his comment about black people, what do you say to this?

"We can only kill babies if they are gay"
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Yes, the views are extreme, BUT are understandable from a man of his age. Think about the time he grew up. Segregation had just finished, his parents may still have been a bit iffy about people of a different race. Hell, homosexuality hadn't even been legalised in the UK when he was growing up. A lot of ingrained racism and intolerance. However, as I said, his views are VERY extreme.

People say it's a shame that his views are unfitting for a man of his academic stature. Well, intelligence =/= having good morals.
Quote by whalepudding
Ha, yeah, you're a douche too. That's just as racist as what he said.
Uh, not really. I was just referring to the fact that Australia has a huge racist tradition. Look it up.

"White Australia" if you need some help.
Quote by Meths
White Australia isn't a tradition. It's a bunch of laws that were gone by the 70s.
Quote by whalepudding
White Australia isn't a tradition. It's a bunch of laws that were gone by the 70s.
Ok, but it's a manifestation of a tradition. That doesn't mean that universally everyone living in Australia today is a fanatical racist, but when someone comes spewing racist nonsense, if they're from Australia I'm going to assume it's related to that tradition. Racism isn't a formal institution, no, but it's a pattern of ideas etc. which seem to have taken a semi-specific form there. I might add that I was being semi-sarcastic and confrontational initially anyway, so not all of these specific questions of fact are relevant.
Quote by Meths
Yeah, I get what you mean, but all countries have racist 'traditions' if you look at it that way, and all countries have people spewing racist nonsense, so an Australian doing it isn't anything different.
actually if you study sociology technically black students don't do as well in education as white students. this could be for a whole manner of reasons such as up bringing and alike but he is right in that sense. its the media so they probably took it out of context. plus he is a senile old man
Let's just blame it on the rap shit that's you there and leave it at that. Mmmmkay?
im black and im quite stupid i guess mmmm
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
Quote by jammoe
Uh, not really. I was just referring to the fact that Australia has a huge racist tradition. Look it up.

"White Australia" if you need some help.

haha Australias only been around for about 200-300 years. Thats less than the amount of time the blacks were slaves in America and elsewhere. Learn your history before you judge us. And the fact your against racism yet criticize Aussies is irony in itself.
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
Quote by Matty_V
haha Australias only been around for about 200-300 years. Thats less than the amount of time the blacks were slaves in America and elsewhere. Learn your history before you judge us. And the fact your against racism yet criticize Aussies is irony in itself.

criticism =/= racism.
If there were hard biological evidence that black people were less intelligent then other "races", this thread wouldn't have a leg to stand on. You're all being...surprisingly closed minded. Yes the guy is a douche to pose statements like those he has made, but how could any of you defend the scientific method in some areas and then shun it simply because the government says we are all created equal.

Everything that I've read has proven that there is no such thing as biological determination, and that everyone is in fact created equal so I'd like to see his "research that suggests otherwise". Furthermore, being a Christian and literal creationist, that's also what I believe. I'm just playing devils advocate.
Dr Watson - "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really."

If he has evidence he should be allowed to share it.
Quote by 009
Dr Watson - "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really."

That's what I just said...
Quote by 009

But then he says this:

He went on to say he hoped everyone was equal but that "people who have to deal with black employees find this is not true".

Which in my mind is just racist through and through.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Quote by denizenz
If there were hard biological evidence that black people were less intelligent then other "races", this thread wouldn't have a leg to stand on. You're all being...surprisingly closed minded. Yes the guy is a douche to pose statements like those he has made, but how could any of you defend the scientific method in some areas and then shun it simply because the government says we are all created equal.
This is all true. It just happens, as a matter of fact, that the idea that there's any meaningful genetic intelligence difference among different races is all a bunch of bull, and that's why one is right to be concerned and disdaining when they hear those sorts of things.
Quote by Meths
Him making another idiotic statements, Al Gore winning the peace nobel..
..This institution is just earning more and more respect, ha?
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I dont think there is really any genetic difference between races, but I wouldnt be surprised if there was a difference in the AVERAGE (Not saying every black person is stupid) intelligence. But that would most likely be caused by the whole inner-city type of **** with schooling that isn't as good as someone who had a higher income could afford.

Flame me if you'd like, but I do think that the social difference are against stacked against the black community being the same/higher than the white one. (though the difference is probably fairly small)
Quote by 94 hours

Quote by dumps
i dont really know what is good so maybe you guys could give me some suggestions of a good practice amp with some a effects between 70 and 100pound. cheers

your buying an amp based on weight??
Twat.

Stephen Hawking is a gangster, by the way.

/random plug
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
All his shootings be drive-bys!

That line gets me everytime.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Twat.

Was that directed to me?
Quote by 94 hours

Quote by dumps
i dont really know what is good so maybe you guys could give me some suggestions of a good practice amp with some a effects between 70 and 100pound. cheers

Quote by TheFlammableCow
Was that directed to me?

No, the delightful chap in the news article Robbie posted.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by FrenchyFungus
No, the delightful chap in the news article Robbie posted.

Ahh, fair enough.
Quote by 94 hours

Quote by dumps

'No! You can't have an abortion! Oh wait, the kid's gay, go ahead "
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Quote by Smokey Amp
For a nobel prize winner, he's quite the moron.

Agreed. As he's a scientist, you'd think that he wouldn't believe that crap.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
"all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really".

I don't see how this is racist, he does have a point really.
Obviously this has been tested, so it's no question that this is racism free, it's just test results. but with some common knowledge you could draw the same conclusion.
the african climate is not really all that human friendly. lots of desert and whatnot, therefore not really suitable for agriculture. When people can stop searching for food, they can develop on other levels, like intelligence. it is therefore acceptable to assume that certain parts of africa (where they still live in hutts etc) can be considered less inteligent than the average human being.

However most africans have been forced into our society over 3000 years ago, and it's safe to say they caught up during that time.
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
In a way he's right, Black people tend to have poorer education and standards of living meaning that they will be less intelligent.

Not because they're Black though, that's a ****ing stupid thing to say.
Page 1 of 2