I want to get that kind of rock like sound, but when I turn my gain up, it just becomes a blur. The only time it isn't a blur is when I turn the gain down, but then it doesn't sound rock stytle. Can someone please help me?
Yeah what webbtje just said, also what particular rock sound are you after there are many different distortions strange as it sounds!

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
also, something that marty friedman says and uses alot, volume over gain, try that
Well, you didn't say hard rock or metal, so I'll assume you mean a rock and roll sound - Clapton, Zeppelin, Skynyrd, Deep Purple and so on..

That sound is easy, tube amp cranked to 10. That's what they played, mostly Marshalls and Fenders, the occasional Hiwatt, Randall or Traynor thrown in for good measure but it was all tube amps cranked up fill tilt. I tried solid state amps for years, they do ok for the clean side but once you "put your foot on the floor" so to speak, they turn to crap while tubes sound better and better the more you turn the amp up.

What brand is not critical, I can get a good rock sound out of any tube amp, I'm not picky. I like the slightly lower gain of the Fenders a bit better, but a higher gain amp like Marshall or Randall works great too. After Fender was sold to CBS in the mid 60's Marshall became the number one amp with rockers and probably still is. But it's the amp you hear on many rock tunes, and a lot of people use Fenders in the studio too, for cranked tube sound at lower wattage so it's not incredibly loud in that little sound room...Most metal bands are running tube amps too, cranked to the max.

If that's the sound you're looking for and you have a solid state amp, you're not likely to get it, or not better than close anyway. Try the clean channel, gain on about 7 or 8, master on whatever volume you want. The distortion channel won't cut it, unless it has a control to pull the saturation out like my Peavey MX has. And the Super Reverb cranked to 10 still sounds better...I run the Peavey onstage for clean, the Super for Raunch 'n Roll. Best of both worlds...

And post what amp and specific style of music you're into, some of these guys can help you more with specific amp settings once they know what amp and what sound.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
Well, you didn't say hard rock or metal, so I'll assume you mean a rock and roll sound - Clapton, Zeppelin, Skynyrd, Deep Purple and so on..

That sound is easy, tube amp cranked to 10. That's what they played, mostly Marshalls and Fenders, the occasional Hiwatt, Randall or Traynor thrown in for good measure but it was all tube amps cranked up fill tilt. I tried solid state amps for years, they do ok for the clean side but once you "put your foot on the floor" so to speak, they turn to crap while tubes sound better and better the more you turn the amp up.

What brand is not critical, I can get a good rock sound out of any tube amp, I'm not picky. I like the slightly lower gain of the Fenders a bit better, but a higher gain amp like Marshall or Randall works great too. After Fender was sold to CBS in the mid 60's Marshall became the number one amp with rockers and probably still is. But it's the amp you hear on many rock tunes, and a lot of people use Fenders in the studio too, for cranked tube sound at lower wattage so it's not incredibly loud in that little sound room...Most metal bands are running tube amps too, cranked to the max.

If that's the sound you're looking for and you have a solid state amp, you're not likely to get it, or not better than close anyway. Try the clean channel, gain on about 7 or 8, master on whatever volume you want. The distortion channel won't cut it, unless it has a control to pull the saturation out like my Peavey MX has. And the Super Reverb cranked to 10 still sounds better...I run the Peavey onstage for clean, the Super for Raunch 'n Roll. Best of both worlds...

And post what amp and specific style of music you're into, some of these guys can help you more with specific amp settings once they know what amp and what sound.

Yeah, I think we can safely assume he has an SS amp
Erm okay, sorry for not posting my guitar or amp, I am dumb like that sometimes
Anyway, thanks for the replies, Paleo Pete erm tubes? I don't know ANYTHING about amps or guitars, I just know how to play them :P
The sound I was looking for was a sound like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tpy_pYXSpPA
I also wanted a black sabath (paranoid) sound. I have a Marshall amp with two channels clean and well, the not clean one :P. Volume treble reverb bass tone and middle knobs are the only ones I have on the amp. I also have a footpedal (marshall) for channed and reverb settings (it;'s two on or off buttons.)

Do I take it, that from your post above, I need a new amplifier if I want to get the exact sound? If so, what kind of an amp would I need, and is there any chance it'll be less than 500 pounds? Preferably a lot less xD
That song is awesome...the intro is played clean on the record though...it was one of the first songs i ever learned. Radiohead warm up live with that song.
Quote by Ferinos
Erm okay, sorry for not posting my guitar or amp, I am dumb like that sometimes
Anyway, thanks for the replies, Paleo Pete erm tubes? I don't know ANYTHING about amps or guitars, I just know how to play them :P
The sound I was looking for was a sound like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tpy_pYXSpPA
I also wanted a black sabath (paranoid) sound. I have a Marshall amp with two channels clean and well, the not clean one :P. Volume treble reverb bass tone and middle knobs are the only ones I have on the amp. I also have a footpedal (marshall) for channed and reverb settings (it;'s two on or off buttons.)

Do I take it, that from your post above, I need a new amplifier if I want to get the exact sound? If so, what kind of an amp would I need, and is there any chance it'll be less than 500 pounds? Preferably a lot less xD

For £500 you can get a very nice valve/tube amp for metal and rock, etc. Especially if you are willing to go 2nd hand, then you get a lot more amp for your money

Also if you don't know anything about tubes you should read the stickies