Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with my new guitar. It's an Italia Modena Classic. On the high E string when I try playing the 2nd and 3rd fret it sounds like when I first started playing again and just doesn't sustain at all. It makes this wierd rattling sound. Any suggestions as to how to fix this/how I've broken it?

Thanks in advance.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Quote by daniel.mycoe
Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with my new guitar. It's an Italia Modena Classic. On the high E string when I try playing the 2nd and 3rd fret it sounds like when I first started playing again and just doesn't sustain at all. It makes this wierd rattling sound. Any suggestions as to how to fix this/how I've broken it?

Thanks in advance.

-raise the action a little

-if it's still buzzing, check the trussrod
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
^
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
i suggest giving it to the store to check it out before messing with it.
Raising the action will probably help the buzz but it does not fix the root of the problem, and, at least for me, the lower the action the better. Since only the first few frets are buzzing, they are not aigned properly and can be sanded into alignment with high grit sand paper. You might want to put masking tape on the wood part of the frets to prevent scrathing.
As for the truss rod, first pickup the guitar and eyeball the fretboard from the bck, like lining up the sights on a gun. You should see a ery slight inward curve(14th fret dips in.) If this seems wrong, you can adjust the trus rod by taking off the cover at the neck and using an allen wrench as a pry bar to turn it. The rule of thumb for electrics is to place a a finger (beter yet capo) on the first fret of the low e and another on the fourtenth. At the seventh fret, the string should be just barely above the fret but not touching. This is the proper setup for the trus rod.