i've decided i want to reformat my laptop becuase it's just generally knackered. The only problem is i don't have an original installation disk for windows XP i only have a Drivers & Applications disk and the Vista upgrade disk that i got after my laptop. So i was wondering is it possible for me to reformat and be able to have a working laptop?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
but if i use a copy of xp from the internet would i be able to use my serial ky that i got with my laptop?

EDIT: my first post has stopped making sense to me but what i want to know is can i instal Vista onto my laptop just with the upgrade disc
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
To be honest i got no idea sorry, i know my friend has vista but he didnt like it so he tryed to download XP onto the laptop. If i were to guess i'd say it would work but maybe wait for another reply maybe

EDIT: just read you edit and im totally not sure sorry, wait for another reply or just ask a computer forum maybe
ahh k cheers anyways
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
On my computer I don't need the disc to be able to format. On the post screen I just tap F10 and it asks if I want to format my computer. I don't know if this would be the case on your laptop, though, but it's worth a try.
Reformatting your drive either writes 0's completely over the disc or else it remove's the ''reference key'' your OS uses to access the files stored on your HD. If your question is can you install Vista after reformatting your drive, it would depend if the Vista disc requires a previous version of XP already installed on the drive. If this is the case, I would try and contact the manufacturer/dealer that you purchased your computer from and see if it's possible to obtain another version of XP.
"All religions are the same: religion is basically guilt, with different holidays. "

-Cathy Ladman
and how would i find out if the disc requires xp on before i instal vista?

EDIT: i have a pirated version of XP pro on disc, so could i instal that, then use the vista upgrade disc and still be able to get all the security updates like service packs etc.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Last edited by twistedmaggot at Oct 18, 2007,
if you already have a cd key of xp then you can download a copy of xp and use your cd key.. still properly illegal to download but it deffently wouldn't be illegal to use it if ur using a genuine cd key
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
the cd key i have for XP is for the media center edition but i have a copy of XP pro on disc that's pirated, could i still use that cd key?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Quote by Diabolic Clown
Reformatting your drive either writes 0's completely over the disc or else it remove's the ''reference key'' your OS uses to access the files stored on your HD. If your question is can you install Vista after reformatting your drive, it would depend if the Vista disc requires a previous version of XP already installed on the drive. If this is the case, I would try and contact the manufacturer/dealer that you purchased your computer from and see if it's possible to obtain another version of XP.

i think that depends on the type of format you do.. a quick format seems to be doing something like that but a full format is properly deleting the data off the drive. same thing reli just with one your not rewriting over existing data all the time

EDIT: not saying that it's true or not but i might look into it later when i feel bit better...lolz
Quote by musical donkey
Last edited by cyclobs at Oct 18, 2007,
Quote by twistedmaggot
the cd key i have for XP is for the media center edition but i have a copy of XP pro on disc that's pirated, could i still use that cd key?

i dont think so.. if you got a copy of pro and only got a key for media then it's going to reject it i think..
Quote by musical donkey
ahh balls, i'm no good with using ISO's and stuff, could i use my XP pro disc then instal vista over it?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
you dont reli need xp to install vista thats only if ur goign to duel boot it, witch you need to install xp first then install vista other wise vista is going to dissapear off your boot options but still use up half your drive and just give you a full head ache.. if you just want to upgrade to vista then just install vista.. but just hope your hardware in ur laptop works with vista.

EDIT: but make sure you completely format your drive and not make a new partition or you'll still have the option to use xp
Quote by musical donkey
i already have vista installed, i'm wanting to wipe my hard drive so that there's nothing on it apart from all the necessary files so that my laptop will run. but the Vista disc i have says express upgrade on it because my laptop originally came with Xp pedia center on it so that's why i'm not sure if i can use my vista disc or if i need to install xp first
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
oh.. to do that u have to reinstall vista. thats probably the best thing you can do if you dont want any files off your hard drive
Quote by musical donkey
ok cheers, so that'll just re-instal vista but leave all the system files and bios setup?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
nah the system files will die when u format the drive cuz the system files are the operating system..lol.. but u'll get new ones when u install vista

yeh dont worry about the bios you only go in there IF it's needed.
Quote by musical donkey
that's the problem lol, if i NEED to go in there, i have no chance or sorting it out, i think the only thing i understand in there is choosing what order to boot the different drives
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Quote by twistedmaggot
that's the problem lol, if i NEED to go in there, i have no chance or sorting it out, i think the only thing i understand in there is choosing what order to boot the different drives

yeh you kinda need to be smart at computers to fully understand the bios
Quote by musical donkey