My band wrote this riff (personally I find it a bit simple but I'm allowed to expand when our rhythm guitarist gets back from his hols). Now what key is it in?

Drop C Tuning:

|
|
|
|7777777-5555-3333-0000000000000000

Is that in Eb/D#?

Because I want to solo or at least put leads over it, and from my "cheat sheet" of major key notes I saw those 4 only appeared in Eb.

But after looking through some of the minors etc there where other scales and modes that had those 4 notes in it.

So what key should I be playing in? Or could it be any of them?
G major? Ok can you explain why it's G major?

I thought that "usually" the riff had to contain the same notes as the key.

But G major doesn't have a D#, does it? I thought it's only sharp was F#.
Last edited by Heavens_To_Hell at Oct 18, 2007,
I'm not too familiar with drop C, but it looks like Cminor

7=G
5=F
3=Eb
0=C

C Eb G is a cminor chord.. you just have a perfect fourth in between.

Then again.. C minor is the same as Eb major... Depends on how you want the song to sound.
Last edited by Wolftone08 at Oct 18, 2007,
Quote by Wolftone08
I'm not too familiar with drop C, but it looks like Cminor

7=G
5=F
3=Eb
0=C

C Eb G is a cminor chord.. you just have a perfect fourth in between.

Yeah when someone said C Minor I thought it was that because it had all the notes and it was in "C", which is supposedly the "metalcore cliché" : they all use drop C, so all their songs are in the key of C.
^^ It could be [g minor]. Like I said, I'm not too familiar with drop tunings. They confuse me a bit. ^_^;;

I guess it just depends on what chord the riff resolves on. If it had an F# then it would be undoubtedly G minor... but without a guitar with me I can't really hear it..
yeah, it's c minor. goes right down the scale, ends on the root.
i guess it could be g minor... all the notes are in that scale too. depends on what you want to make the root.

(sorry wolftone... i deleted the post and typed up a new one when i realised it could be either)
i am member no. 3 of the 'coheed and cambria fan club' interested? pm CoheedANDnofx6.

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it"
-Mitch Hedberg
Ok right correct me if I'm wrong but this is how I see it.

Riff contains C5, Eb5, G5 and F5 chords.

G major scale contains G A B C D E F# G

Doesn't contain Eb or F so can't be that.

C minor scale contains C D Eb F G Ab Bb C
Contains C, G, F and Eb, so could be that.

G minor scale contains G A Bb C D Eb F G
Contains C, G, F and Eb, so could be that.

SO WHICH IS IT? Is it both? Is it C minor because I'm in drop C and that would make the C5 chord the root, or is it the G minor because the G5 chord is the first played and the riff descends through the G minor scales so G5 is therefore the root chord?
It could be either G minor or C minor there's only one note difference between the scales and this riff has neither.

EDIT: THe root would be the starting note so in this case it would be G minor.

looks like its G major to me bud, you have go off of the root.

G major for sure.

Are you ****ing kidding me? It has a MINOR seventh and a MINOR 6th of G.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
It just depends on the other voicings. Try playing around and if you hear an Ab or D# then it's Cminor. Basically, when your riff comes to a 'close', what note does it land on? When does it sound complete?
Quote by rednightmare
It could be either G minor or C minor there's only one note difference between the scales and this riff has neither.

Are you ****ing kidding me? It has a MINOR seventh and a MINOR 6th of G.

So could I use either scales? If I needed to solo or something, could I use either? Should I just experiment and see which scale sounds best over the riff?
You could use either in a solo, or both in fact if you can switch between them without it sounding wierd, but the riff is in G minor.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Quote by Wolftone08
It just depends on the other voicings. Try playing around and if you hear an Ab or D# then it's Cminor. Basically, when your riff comes to a 'close', what note does it land on? When does it sound complete?

The riff ends with the notes just played once and held, then a pick slide, and then the chorus is :

|
|
|
|00003~00005~
|00003~00005~
|00003~00005~

With all the 0s palm muted (I told you the song is boneheaded but our bassist made it so what did we expect :P).

So it still stays in the same scale...should I just play around and experiment? Or should I use the scale and just make sure I don't use the notes that differ between the scale so it could either be C or G minor?

Btw I would like to state I respect bassists. I play bass myself. I just don't respect their decisions :P
Just play whichever scale you feel better with. I would personally use Cminor. Especially since you have a C drone (00003 00005) It would be an odd interval with a Gminor scale, though not neccesarrily wrong
For the people who are breaking down the notes of the chords, they dont all have to be in the key! Chords most often do contain notes that are out of the key which is why a lot of more advanced players switch modes and keys in line with chord changes. It could be a Major or minor because fifths are ambiguos. it could be a V-IV-I in C(maaj or min) it could be a I-VII-IV in G(maj or min) II-I-V in F(major or aeolian/natural/harmonic/melodic min). it actaully is the lead that woul determine the key.
Quote by garboozled
For the people who are breaking down the notes of the chords, they dont all have to be in the key! Chords most often do contain notes that are out of the key which is why a lot of more advanced players switch modes and keys in line with chord changes. It could be a Major or minor because fifths are ambiguos. it could be a V-IV-I in C(maaj or min) it could be a I-VII-IV in G(maj or min) II-I-V in F(major or aeolian/natural/harmonic/melodic min). it actaully is the lead that woul determine the key.

True.. but that would have had to been done on purpose, and then he would know the key. Most people don't accidentally write complex things. Well maybe once in a while...

C aeolian
D Locrian
Eb Ionian
F Dorian
G Phrygian
Ab Lydian
Bb Mixolydian

or the same with a gminor scale..
Last edited by Wolftone08 at Oct 18, 2007,
Quote by slapfunk_101
G major for sure.

It's in drop C, you ignorant.
And yes, Eb Major/C Minor.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.