I am on a very limited budget (around $300), and I need to get a new amp that i loud enough to gig with. I play alternative mostly (Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Incubus, like), but I also play in my college's Jazz band. I know a person that is offering me a Line 6 Duoverb combo for around $250, but all the reviews Ive heard are split down the middle it seems. What do you guys honestly think of this amp, and I'm looking for honest opinions, not just people saying, "spiders suck, line 6 is terrible", thanks for the input in advance
Might be good for the price, but if you can raise your budget a little bit, a Marshall combo would probably do the job better (maybe an OD for heavier stuff if you need it).
Quote by littlemurph7976
Might be good for the price, but if you can raise your budget a little bit, a Marshall combo would probably do the job better (maybe an OD for heavier stuff if you need it).

No Marshall, the MG is terrible.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Line 6 is digitally sterile sounding and when turned up sounds like crap due to solid state clipping. For $300 you could pick up a used tube combo if you shop carefully and don't get in a hurry. In case you are considering a Marshall MG they sound even worse. Marshall AVT's are not worth their prices.
Quote by omarrodrigez

I meant like a DSL401 or something along those lines.
Quote by omarrodrigez

he didnt say anything about the MG, just said combo. most amps marshall makes come in combos.

as far as marshall combos go, though, you'd have to find one used to get even a halfway decent price. i got a used valvestate (precursor to the AVT) 100W used for $250 and it was great for a entry-level gigging amp. if it's tone you want, you could always grab a valve junior and a 1x12 cab and mic it.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Quote by Y0UNGBL00D
he didnt say anything about the MG, just said combo. most amps marshall makes come in combos.

as far as marshall combos go, though, you'd have to find one used to get even a halfway decent price. i got a used valvestate (precursor to the AVT) 100W used for $250 and it was great for a entry-level gigging amp. if it's tone you want, you could always grab a valve junior and a 1x12 cab and mic it.

I know he said nothing about the MG, But I just assumed that because he said "raise your budget a little" from $300, which is in the MG price range.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by omarrodrigez

Yeah. Don't worry, I won't make that mistake.
look for a used peavey valveking or palomino v16 (can be had new if you save another $50)
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Oct 18, 2007,
^That is a good idea to try, just be cautious as some of the earlier models had some reliability issues.
I was also thinking about the Valvetronix, hopefully if i can find one, one of the older ones with the cloth as opposed to metal grill, what about those?
To be blunt I consider them tube amp wannabes. Wouldn't want one, you'd be better off with a good pure solid state like a Peavey Transtube.
Quote by omarrodrigez
I know he said nothing about the MG, But I just assumed that because he said "raise your budget a little" from $300, which is in the MG price range.

right. nice SN btw.

the palomino would be nice.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery