Today i decided to tune up my old electric guitar and i rememberd that my mate snapped the high E string ages ago, and i hadnt had a spare one so its been high e stringless for sometime. However today i found a spare e string so i put it on but it wont stay.

I put the string right through and go to tighten the nut and everytime i do it comes loose again. So when i go to tighten it, its all slack, ya know like a string is when its first put on then it starts to become tighter (but not tight enough) so i keep tightening it and it just like kind of slips and goes really slack again. What am i doing wrong? Also at the end on the pickups the spring is really loose, so i can like push it, if ya know what i mean? With the others i cant push the spring forwards. Any one want to help?? Thanks
what kind of guitar is it?
Member #20 of the Guitarists Born in 1991 Club PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.

Member Of The Anti - Ibanez Militia

Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...

Quote by -blaze-
anti-depressants for emo kids.

keep turning the tuner, got that too sometimes, it'll be good at one point
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by poipoi
keep turning the tuner, got that too sometimes, it'll be good at one point

I do, but everytime i do it just slips back so its all slack again and wont tune up.. so i dont know whats wrong with it.
You probably aren't putting it on correctly. You have to thread the string through the hole in the tuning peg, and then bend it so it doesn't come back through.
Quote by eXperiment63
You probably aren't putting it on correctly. You have to thread the string through the hole in the tuning peg, and then bend it so it doesn't come back through.

No no ive done that, it does like tighten up, but it doesnt go tight enough so its tune properly.
Quote by PsychoJeams
Is there is a chance that the string is defected?

errrm whats that mean lol
O well how do you mean? Its fine as far as i can see. Maybe its a bit of an old string but its the only one i have at the moment. Think its more to do with the bridge on it or something. Im not sure...
Put the string through the hole and cut off so you only have about 2 inches of slack. Any more will make it harder to wrap around.
I've had this problem before. You have to make sure that when you tighten the string and it is coiling round the tuning peg, that it coils from top down (towards the guitar). If it coils the wrong way (away from the guitar) you are effectively doing nothing as the coil just slips off at the top... Hope this helps...
Quote by Metallicaloveu
I've had this problem before. You have to make sure that when you tighten the string and it is coiling round the tuning peg, that it coils from top down (towards the guitar). If it coils the wrong way (away from the guitar) you are effectively doing nothing as the coil just slips off at the top... Hope this helps...

Ahhhh that sounds like it. Ill give that a go tomorrow, cheers dude