Well i'm buying an RG2EX1 in a week or so.

Right now i'm playing through the vox valvetronix 50 watt amp.

But when i played the guitar i wasn't too thrilled with the "designed by emg" pickups that come stock in the guitar so i was thinking about putting some dimarzios in it.

I want Paul Gilbert kinda tone. So i know that he uses PAF Pros. Now could i use two paf pros in the guitar or should i use a paf pro and a different pickup?

Oh and is it easy to install pickups or will Guitar Center to do it?

Thanks in advance!
GC will do it... and go and look at the other threads that have been posted.. its the same **** different day... go to the electric guitar section and find them there! you will learn more
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
I have paf pros in the bridge and neck of my RG. Its very balanced and the tone is awesome. The neck is a little thin if your used to meaty humbuckers. They change character quite alot when you roll off the volume but in a really nice way. They are very clear and articulate. Like the evos they require very very precise playing to sound their best and sloppy playing will be accentuated. All in all they are very shred worthy.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
^ thats exactly what i was looking for. Thanks a million.

I'm not looking for meaty humbucker i just want something that i can get good shred tones out.

But how much does it usually cost for guitar center to put in those pickups? I'm just not too sure if i'm comfortable enough to do it myself yet haha.
^Does he not also use Super Distortions and Tone Zone pickups? Also, using a similar amp would help; he used to use Laney GH's but now he's moved onto Marshall Vintage Moderns or something.
Seymour Duncan JB and '59 come to mind, along with the DiMarzio Evo/Breed combo.
I don't know about those pickups.

I just know in his signature model it's 2 paf pro humbuckers and a jem single coil.

But does anyone seriously know how much Guitar Center would charge to put the pickups in?
50 bucks install and they will show you how to do it... so you can install the next pair yourselfif you change those... or buy another guitar....!
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
oh they do it right there for you in like 30 40 minutes... but hey if you really want it done well then that will be the best 40 min. of your life!xD
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
haha no thats great!

i thought it would be a couple of days haha.

but thanks for the help!
better off going to home depot, buying a soldering iron and some flux, and getting it done by yourself in 40 minutes

save some money
Shamray Custom V
Jackson USA KV2 Korina
Charvel Model 1
Dean Custom-450
ENGL Powerball head
ENGL Blackmore head
Quote by the mailman
better off going to home depot, buying a soldering iron and some flux, and getting it done by yourself in 40 minutes

save some money

I wouldn't advise it unless you have spare stuff to practice on. My first project was my Jackson, and I really screwed up on that... burnt up a pot, twitched and burn a lot of lead off my JB and had a hard time getting the setup to work right. I'm not kidding when I say I think I had it apart for two months and was the most frustrated I had been in my life at something.
Quote by CJRocker
I wouldn't advise it unless you have spare stuff to practice on. My first project was my Jackson, and I really screwed up on that... burnt up a pot, twitched and burn a lot of lead off my JB and had a hard time getting the setup to work right. I'm not kidding when I say I think I had it apart for two months and was the most frustrated I had been in my life at something.

I dunno, I swapped the pickup on my strat without any prior knowledge about electronics or soldering. the most I've done is solder a wire back to a jack. its not nearly as hard as people make it out to be, and its more than worth it to learn how to do it.
thats why i want them to show me how to do it. that way i can do my own next time.
Quote by Zofar
I dunno, I swapped the pickup on my strat without any prior knowledge about electronics or soldering. the most I've done is solder a wire back to a jack. its not nearly as hard as people make it out to be, and its more than worth it to learn how to do it.

When you start taking all your pickups out and putting in new humbuckers, it is hard, especially if you're new. Swapping one single coil is easy. Putting in two humbuckers, and then ones that are four conductor, is not.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
EMG 81/85's are also good for shred.

Not really...

You'd want something like a Dimarzio Evolution, maybe paired with a Breed or a PAF in the neck
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I have a Super Distortion in the bridge and a Breed in the neck of my 350EX, and I swear I can nail Gilberts tone every time.