So, I was reading the thread on fretless basses and saw that someone said they are great for jazz. Could you guys give me some suggestions on a progression from novice to more advanced so I can get some real use out of my DIY fretless?
Thanks, it is greatly appreciated.
Sly Taco has also caught the jazz bug. Ive been doing a lot of chromatic scales, that stuff sounds pretty sweet, but i'm interested to see what the UG faithful has to say.
Another area to explore is the use of bass chords, esp in the upper frets, and how they can be used in playing jazz and working beyond the usual walking bass lines. Yes, they're a bitch to play on a fretless from an intonation standpoint, but they sound really lush and sweet, esp. when applied to the traditional standards. I just started in on this technique recently and it really has pushed my playing in the jazz area to a whole new level.
Quote by anarkee
Another area to explore is the use of bass chords, esp in the upper frets, and how they can be used in playing jazz and working beyond the usual walking bass lines. Yes, they're a bitch to play on a fretless from an intonation standpoint, but they sound really lush and sweet, esp. when applied to the traditional standards. I just started in on this technique recently and it really has pushed my playing in the jazz area to a whole new level.

And because of the intoantion problems with chords I'm trying to work out how to play chords with harmonics and maybe one fretted note a la Jaco's favourite chord

-12*-
-9*--
-9*--
-11--
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
also if ur playing fretless, thot u are going in a more jazz direction, look into some CREAM... that man was a wizard on a fretless bass... but aside from stuff to look up, i also have been doing alot of jazz work lately, and indeed i have been finding it a btch to do some of the higher freted chords as Sinan had mentioned, but if its a fretess your playing, the play the style fretless works best in, JAZZ
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)