Page 1 of 2
YES!! I finally broke down & bought a Fulltone OCD yesterday after using a '79 ProCo Rat for years. The OCD is everything everyone's raving about & more. Simply remarkable tone & adjustment. I'm pretty blown away by how good this thing really is. I only got to play with it for about a half hour so far, & I haven't even tried it using my load/box power amp setup. Just guitar-->OCD-->Mojave Scorpion--->Mojave cab. Really great AC/DC tone, just super sharp & articulated. I have to leave town for a few days, so I won't even be able to play it again til Monday . I'd keep this thing just for the few great tones I've gotten so far, but I know there's MANY more to be had.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
dammit, I've been able to avoid the g.a.s. pains over this pedal for a while now, even with all the love it gets around here. You're not helping man.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Great!

How's the Scorpion? I've heard it's a great amp - does the power dampening affect the tone at all? Since it's not an attenuator, it does actually reduce the quality, non?
if it's anything like the London Power scaling, it's better than an attenuator IME. I had a Suhr Badger with the power scaling, and I was really surprised how well it keeps the tone intact, all the way down to conversation levels. Much better than any attenuator I've ever used. I'm actually surprised it isn't incorporated into a lot more amps tbh.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
if it's anything like the London Power scaling, it's better than an attenuator IME. I had a Suhr Badger with the power scaling, and I was really surprised how well it keeps the tone intact, all the way down to conversation levels. Much better than any attenuator I've ever used. I'm actually surprised it isn't incorporated into a lot more amps tbh.

Hmm, interesting, it's just that I've heard the tone of some Power Dampeners does decrease slightly, and takes a readjustment of your tone controls to get back to a good sound without the same volume.

P.S. What do you mean by IME? I assume it means In My __. Usually I use IMO
Yes it is great, it shows you really do get quality if you are prepared to pay that extra bit.

I <3 OCD
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by Don_Humpador
Great!

How's the Scorpion? I've heard it's a great amp - does the power dampening affect the tone at all? Since it's not an attenuator, it does actually reduce the quality, non?

The Scorpion, to me, is the best amp I've ever played through, but I was looking to duplicate the tone on the first Van Halen record. This amp was MADE to do EVH. Mojave's creator, Victor Mason (owner of Plexi Palace also), is more possessed than I am about getting it exactly nailed, & his Scorpion & Peacemaker models nail it, & I mean REALLY nail it. It really is fun to play when it sounds just like the record (but I have to use the load box/power amp setup to get this tone, otherwise it's br00tally loud-which brings me to your next question).
The power dampening feature works amazingly well, esp w/ the load box setup. It does sound a touch better near max settings, but the trade-off for extended tube life is well worth it. I keep the dampening knob around the 12:00 position (approx 25W), & it gets the sound I want. Plugging straight in (no load box), the dampening does attenuate VERY slightly, but the amp is so lively & articulate that you don't really notice it, even down to 3W. The Mojave power dampening definitely is the best volume reduction method I've heard yet.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

like the other guy, i've been GASing for an OCD too. ill probably grab one when my vave junior gets here.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Nice riffhog

But you know what I'm going to say next...
CLIPS
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by riffhog
The Scorpion, to me, is the best amp I've ever played through, but I was looking to duplicate the tone on the first Van Halen record. This amp was MADE to do EVH. Mojave's creator, Victor Mason (owner of Plexi Palace also), is more possessed than I am about getting it exactly nailed, & his Scorpion & Peacemaker models nail it, & I mean REALLY nail it. It really is fun to play when it sounds just like the record (but I have to use the load box/power amp setup to get this tone, otherwise it's br00tally loud-which brings me to your next question).
The power dampening feature works amazingly well, esp w/ the load box setup. It does sound a touch better near max settings, but the trade-off for extended tube life is well worth it. I keep the dampening knob around the 12:00 position (approx 25W), & it gets the sound I want. Plugging straight in (no load box), the dampening does attenuate VERY slightly, but the amp is so lively & articulate that you don't really notice it, even down to 3W. The Mojave power dampening definitely is the best volume reduction method I've heard yet.

I've been looking at the Sidewinder..Looks good, sounds good
Quote by Don_Humpador
Hmm, interesting, it's just that I've heard the tone of some Power Dampeners does decrease slightly, and takes a readjustment of your tone controls to get back to a good sound without the same volume.

P.S. What do you mean by IME? I assume it means In My __. Usually I use IMO

haha, IME = in my experience. I guess I just use it when I've actually gotten hands on experience with something.

I think it depends what controls you have with it too. The badger sounds a little different than riffhogs scorpion, it was a power control, drive control, and gain. No volume or master vol. You crank up the power for you volume control, and it's actual power the amp is producing. Then the drive acted like how hard it was hitting the powertube section, and gain was preamp od. So for example, if you wanted the most headroom and vol, you would crank the power control, and back off the drive control, gain all the way down. If you wanted more poweramp distortion, you start cranking up the drive, and backing off the powerlevel. If you want cranked powertube OD with vol, you could dime everything, and it's the only amp I've ever used where it actually sounded good that way.

I'll defer to riffhog on the subject however, I'm sure he's got much more experience with many different kinds than I have.
amp clips
amp vids
sweet! i haven't tried the OCD...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm thinking about changing my Tubescreamer for an OCD at some point, would probably make a good improvement to my tone...well hopefully at least.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Erock503
haha, IME = in my experience. I guess I just use it when I've actually gotten hands on experience with something.

I think it depends what controls you have with it too. The badger sounds a little different than riffhogs scorpion, it was a power control, drive control, and gain. No volume or master vol. You crank up the power for you volume control, and it's actual power the amp is producing. Then the drive acted like how hard it was hitting the powertube section, and gain was preamp od. So for example, if you wanted the most headroom and vol, you would crank the power control, and back off the drive control, gain all the way down. If you wanted more poweramp distortion, you start cranking up the drive, and backing off the powerlevel. If you want cranked powertube OD with vol, you could dime everything, and it's the only amp I've ever used where it actually sounded good that way.

I'll defer to riffhog on the subject however, I'm sure he's got much more experience with many different kinds than I have.

That sounds like a great combo of controls. Hopefully Suhr will be at NAMM in January so I can try that. The Scorpion has 2 separate volume knobs, treble vol & bass vol (no pre-amp vol, drive, gain, etc). Either knob controls overall volume (the amp is as loud as the highest one), & you blend frequencies w/ the 2 knobs to get the best tone. Brilliant, really. The Power Scaling is intriguing, though...
Edit: I really have no idea how the Mojave power dampening works. It sounds like just like you're turning down the volume & retaining the same tone & dynamics. If you find a loud tone you like, you can just roll the power back to reasonable levels, & it's pretty much the same tone.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by riffhog at Oct 18, 2007,
Quote by Roc8995
No, IMO.
Different strokes, I guess.

Yeah well you have an Eternity OD . Those things are fantastic.
yeah, i hear great things about love pedals.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
I've got mixed feelings about my OCD. The tone is okay coming out of it, but I keep stressing, the feedback is uncontrolable
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
thats the first i've EVER heard of that. OCD isnt even that hi gain of a pedal. interesting...
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Quote by xTJx
I've got mixed feelings about my OCD. The tone is okay coming out of it, but I keep stressing, the feedback is uncontrolable

How high do you run the drive knob? For me, it muds out a bit after about the 12:00-1:00 position. So far, I get better tones w/ drive at 9:00-12:00 positions & volume higher, tone at 12:00 (neutral). No real feedback problems yet. If you continue to get excessive squeal, you can try potting (wax-dipping) your pickups to diminish vibration in the windings that can cause squeal. Or try a friend's guitar w/ same settings & see if it's still bad.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

It sounds like a hi-fidelity tubescreamer. Some like that, some like a more vintage character. I'm one of the latter, personally, not to discount that it is a good sounding pedal.
Quote by riffhog
How high do you run the drive knob? For me, it muds out a bit after about the 12:00-1:00 position. So far, I get better tones w/ drive at 9:00-12:00 positions & volume higher, tone at 12:00 (neutral). No real feedback problems yet. If you continue to get excessive squeal, you can try potting (wax-dipping) your pickups to diminish vibration in the windings that can cause squeal. Or try a friend's guitar w/ same settings & see if it's still bad.

My drive is at 9:00, my volume is at 9:00, and my tone is at 12:00.

I'm using monster cables and I've even tried it as the only pedal in my chain.

I've tried it with both my explorer and V, and same thing. I'm wondering if there's a miswiring in it. I'm probably going to get rid of it soon.
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by xTJx

Maybe you're suffering from microphonic pickups or something? The pickups on my Telecaster are microphonic so they feedback rediculously easy when I have my Tubescreamer on.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Anyone who wants orgasmic tone, run your OCD at 18v
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by Kurapica
Maybe you're suffering from microphonic pickups or something? The pickups on my Telecaster are microphonic so they feedback rediculously easy when I have my Tubescreamer on.

Well I know they're very high output pickups, but how would I test to see if they are microphonic/fix the problem a bit? I'm going to try running it with it's own 18V power supply later on tonight instead of with a PowerAll so hopefully that'll help out a bit.
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Most power supplies have a few different voltages you can select from (dunlop powerbrick has a few 18v outputs). When you put a battery in it, it only runs with 9v of power because its a 9v battery, but plug an 18v adapter into your OCD and DAMN! Its more like a cranked plexi than any other pedal ever.
Guitar
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
I am not an electrician or anything, maybe some of the other guys on her could shed more light on why it happens, but I assure you is sounds way better.
Guitar
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Electrical power (in watts) is equal to the voltage squared over the resistance, in this case, of the pedal. By doubling the voltage from 9 to 18, the power output of the pedal is actually quadrupled. This is usually a good thing. It means more bass, headroom, and (for some reason) slightly better touch sensitivity.
yeah, that should be fine
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I just thought I'd report back in.

I didn't pick up an 18V adaptor just yet, but by removing it from the GodLyke power supply chain, it made a HUGE difference in eliminating the feedback I got from it. There isn't any at all.
Soundwise, it's alright. I'm going to hold onto it and continue to tweak with it, but I can't get it to sound different than my microamp...which is a shame.
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
I think it's a great, transparent pedal, awesome for fattening up your sound on LP mode, or adding mix-cutting mids on HP mode. There are better od's out there, but the OCD does a decent job as a distortion pedal as well.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by riffhog
YES!! I finally broke down & bought a Fulltone OCD yesterday after using a '79 ProCo Rat for years. The OCD is everything everyone's raving about & more. Simply remarkable tone & adjustment. I'm pretty blown away by how good this thing really is. I only got to play with it for about a half hour so far, & I haven't even tried it using my load/box power amp setup. Just guitar-->OCD-->Mojave Scorpion--->Mojave cab. Really great AC/DC tone, just super sharp & articulated. I have to leave town for a few days, so I won't even be able to play it again til Monday . I'd keep this thing just for the few great tones I've gotten so far, but I know there's MANY more to be had.

I've learned not to dime all of the knobs. I also find that the pedal can make your tone really fuzzy if you don't EQ properly (as in, setting the distortion to max).

Congrats on the pedal, man.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Page 1 of 2