So I have my Music Theory homework out in front of me and I'm slowly working my way through it. Right now we're doing cadences and while I have a basic grasp of them, this homework still confuses me.

From what I understand, to figure out what type of cadence two chords are, you take the ending chord and the 2nd to last chord and figure it out based on that. IV to I is Plagal, V to iii is Deceptive, V to I is Perfect, and so on.

Heres whats confusing

What is considered the 2nd to last "chord"? The Bb chord, or the E note?
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Oct 18, 2007,
Can you provide a better picture? Or notate it on a notation programme.. it might just be my eyes, but I can't see **** all in that pic.
ok, took a theory class in highschool but Im kinda rusty... I just walked over to the piano and played that little snippet. I don't think it matters what you do. I can' tell what the notes are to the last chord, b/c I don't remember that clef but I think its an F chord. Playing that Bb chord and then that little e note makes at strong pull to resolve to F, which im guessing is the I chord. Basiclly I'd go with the IV - I change.
It looks like the bass is being used as a passing tone. Ugh...I could never get down the differences between appoggiaturas and pedal points.
You end on F, and your previous beat has the notes Bb D F on the first eighth, and Bb D E on the second eighth.

I'd say it's a plagal cadence with the low E functioning as a neighbor tone (I think that's the right term). *EDIT* missed the low D. I'd still say plagal, with the E actually functioning as a passing tone. My bad.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
You end on F, and your previous beat has the notes Bb D F on the first eighth, and Bb D E on the second eighth.

I'd say it's a plagal cadence with the low E functioning as a neighbor tone (I think that's the right term). *EDIT* missed the low D. I'd still say plagal, with the E actually functioning as a passing tone. My bad.

HOORAY FOR NON-CHORD TONES! Ugh...I googled that and even searched on UG and still can't find anything.
wow that makes my head spin just reading the description, i wish my school had theory classes
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
the first chord is D F Bb D, which is a Bb in 2nd inversion, and the last chord is F A C, which is an F major. It looks like just a IV - I (plagal) cadence, with the E as a tone to help it resolve. I don't know the proper terms, I'm taking AP Music Theory next year. I'm sure you knew the chord names and such, I don't mean to insult your intelligence. Just my two cents
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by 6DgOfInTb
the first chord is D F Bb D, which is a Bb in 2nd inversion, and the last chord is F A C, which is an F major. It looks like just a IV - I (plagal) cadence, with the E as a tone to help it resolve. I don't know the proper terms, I'm taking AP Music Theory next year. I'm sure you knew the chord names and such, I don't mean to insult your intelligence. Just my two cents

This post pretty much sums up what you all said, thanks everyone. So should I just regard all single notes in my homework as passing tones and not an element of a chord?

And yea, I'm in AP Music Theory right now. Very informative, but its a HARRD course... Its like, college level stuff.